Talk

Advanced search

If you use a facial oil

(21 Posts)
WellTidy Wed 28-Oct-20 15:50:10

Do you also use a moisturiser with it, or do you use it in place of a moisturiser please? I have this Elemis rose facial oil in a 5ml size and wondered at what stage to use it, and whether it is a daily or twice daily thing.

At the moment, I remove make-up, cleanse, apply serum, eye cream and then moisturiser.

OP’s posts: |
ImEatingVeryHealthilyOhYes Wed 28-Oct-20 16:15:14

I put it on last. I think Trinny said recently that the thickest/oiliest thing goes on last or it’ll pill, also nothing following that would reach the skin, so eg a serum would be wasted

ImEatingVeryHealthilyOhYes Wed 28-Oct-20 16:15:58

To add: I use moisturiser first

WellTidy Wed 28-Oct-20 17:00:22

Ok, so the oil is as well as and not instead of, a moisturiser? I hadn’t realised!

ImEatingVeryHealthilyOhYes Wed 28-Oct-20 17:03:28

I’m not sure, don’t take that as gospel grin

I guess as the oil locks in moisture (presumably) then it can be either or both

WellTidy Wed 28-Oct-20 17:11:57

Thanks, I think I might try a few days without moisturiser and then a few days with, and see if there is a difference. I had lots of spots when I used the elemis recovery oil caplets so I’m hoping that the rose facial oil agrees with my skin more.

FlyingByTheSeatof Wed 28-Oct-20 18:40:21

Oil goes on before moisturiser usually

Annebronte Wed 28-Oct-20 18:57:16

I use just oil, and only at night.

notinthestarsigns Wed 28-Oct-20 19:41:19

Elemis facial oil is applied before moisteuriser. I usually use serum or oil rather than both. You don’t strictly speaking have to use a moisteuriser aswell, I would see how your skin feels.

Diavoloroquito Wed 28-Oct-20 19:49:23

Oil is supposed to go after moisturiser which surmised me. The reason is that oil is thick so putting moisturiser afterwards can’t penetrate the skin well. Therefore you put in on top of moisturiser.

MrsRogerLima Wed 28-Oct-20 19:50:52

Beautician here. Cleanse, tone, serum, moisturise, oil

😊

Hormonecrazyhell Wed 28-Oct-20 19:51:21

Elemis oils aren’t thick and should go on after toner. Can be mornings, evenings, or both

Hormonecrazyhell Wed 28-Oct-20 19:52:27

Go on Elemis website it will tell you where to slot it into routine, or Elemis on Instagram. Definitely 1st

2Kidsinatrenchcoat Wed 28-Oct-20 20:07:54

I’ve yet to find a facial moisturiser that doesn’t make me feel clammy and sweaty for the entire day but oils are fine for me so I cleanse, then apply oil to damp skin and massage it in. I use ecoslay moonshine oil on both my face and hair.

WellTidy Wed 28-Oct-20 20:23:46

Mixed opinions! I went on the Elemis site and it says to apply the oil ‘after cleansing’, but nothing about what could or would follow after the oil. So I’ve emailed them to ask. I see the thinking behind leaving it to the end.

chickydoo Wed 28-Oct-20 20:58:47

Use votary oil, on its own at night.
Skin feels lush in the morning

FlyingByTheSeatof Wed 28-Oct-20 23:22:35

How to apply Elemis facial oil

BeaLola Thu 29-Oct-20 00:46:51

I use facial oil mostly and don't use a moisturiser - when I did I found it too much for my skin

I use votary or aromatherapy associates ones

BeaLola Thu 29-Oct-20 00:51:16

Meant to add I was advised that the order goes from thinnest to thickest so is toner, serum,oil and then moisturiser - I do either serum and oil, spf or just oil and spf

Giraffey1 Thu 29-Oct-20 00:55:05

What’s the difference between a serum and oil?

TracyBeakerSoYeah Thu 29-Oct-20 01:03:35

I either use my Elemis oil on its own at night or sometimes after moisturiser.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in