Talk

Advanced search

Any retail staff around who can advise on shoes?

(13 Posts)
Papergirl1968 Sun 25-Oct-20 18:09:55

I’ve just got my first job in retail, at the age of 52.
It’s initially a Christmas temp job so don’t want to spend a fortune but could do with some comfy shoes.
There’s no uniform but I’ll need to wear black, and trousers are advised as there’s a lot of restocking shelves.
I’ve been looking at Hotter, Padders etc. Do you think something like these would be ok?

OP’s posts: |
BoulangerieBabs Sun 25-Oct-20 18:56:32

They'll be fine, most go for comfort.

Congratulations on your job.

sausagerole Sun 25-Oct-20 19:05:00

Congratulations on your job! 🎊 the Fearne ones are nice

Snackasaurus Sun 25-Oct-20 19:05:09

Are they patent leather? Just asking because I had patent leather shoes and they were awful! They started bubbling and peeling and didn't last very long.

Good luck with your job @Papergirl1968

Snackasaurus Sun 25-Oct-20 19:06:09

Sorry, I only saw the first picture! smile

fruitofthenight Sun 25-Oct-20 19:12:13

I've worked in a few retail places and the first ones would be unsuitable due to the top of the foot not being fully covered but rules will vary by employer so worth double checking. The second and third look fine though. Congratulations on the new job!

Papergirl1968 Sun 25-Oct-20 20:47:53

Thank you! The Fearne ones are probably my favourite but good point about maybe not providing enough coverage.

HowFastIsTooFast Sun 25-Oct-20 20:52:09

I'd get some with leather uppers and inners if you can run to them price wise OP. Nothing worse than sweaty feet that can't breathe if you're standing up all day. Both of the ones you've posted look comfy though!

RWK29 Sun 25-Oct-20 20:52:36

@Papergirl1968 flat sole and covered top of foot would be your best bet and should be fine in most situations 😊 rules vary depending on health and safety regulations in place. Been a retail manager for 8 years in various shops and that’s what we would usually advise 😊

bookish83 Sun 25-Oct-20 20:53:40

The second or third pair would be best... cover your foot a bit!

Good Luck smile xx

Boringnamechanging Sun 25-Oct-20 20:56:44

I wouldn’t get the first ones either as the would rub my heal. I’d go with the last one then you can Velcro it to fit the best and not rub. If you are doing food retail (ie somewhere you’ll be in and out of walk in fridges) get something with a decent tread as a lot of women shoes are basically flat soles which are very skiddy on potentially damp floors.

Plus if you can afford leather rather than pvc they breath a bit better.

marriednotdead Sun 25-Oct-20 20:59:06

Honestly, nobody judges a retail worker by their footwear, especially when they work in retail themselves!

Luckily we're finally allowed to wear trainers where I work but before that, all the 'youngsters' wore Clark's lace up brogues or similar (I'm the same age as most of their parents grin)

I wear sandals similar to Birkenstock's most of the time but am looking
at these as their boots range is mega comfy.

Papergirl1968 Sun 25-Oct-20 23:34:08

Thank you all very much!
Some were out of stock in my size when I took a closer look but I found a Padders pair similar to the third pic so have ordered those.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in