Talk

Advanced search

Liberty pjs/gowns

(26 Posts)
groutingqueen Fri 23-Oct-20 01:24:34

Hi 👋
Been avidly following this board recently! Quite a minefield of Info!

Does anyone here have any liberty of london pjs or dressing gown? Would love to treat myself to some lovely pjs/loungewear plus a really lovely dressing gown but don't want to spend a fortune on something that's poor quality for the money

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
groutingqueen Fri 23-Oct-20 01:26:42

I love this one

https://www.libertylondon.com/uk/poppy-and-daisy-tana-lawn™-cotton-robe-000716278.html#pos=3

Vello Fri 23-Oct-20 06:34:05

Well, I've never bought a dressing gown from them, but I have loved every single thing I have ever bought from Liberty. And you can always send it back. Never bought online, though - it's one of the only shops I actually like going in!

I generally get my pyjamas from Hush and Toast, though Hush has gone off the boil since the old days and the fabric isn't as nice.

Fleurchamp Fri 23-Oct-20 06:38:32

I have had several pairs of the pyjamas - I love Liberty print and so my DH sees them as an easy win for birthdays and Christmas grin

My last pair he bought me after the birth of our DD 3 years ago and they still look as good as new despite weekly wear.

Djangor3725 Fri 23-Oct-20 08:20:56

I got a tana lawn liberty dressing gown about 18months ago - with a discount - if you sign up with them they send out the occasional offer. Just love the fabric and pattern (it was the imari pattern) but I was surprised that it was very simply made - so collar & overlap not sown down as they often are. If you don't have a discount it would be worth looking at how much a local dressmaker would charge as you could just buy the fabric - although you need to bear in mind that tana lawn fabric is sold in narrower width than most fabrics.
Dressing gowns last for ages though - & liberty fabric so special that I would have been just as happy to save up & pay full price =- for me it was a very special treat & I love wearing it.

SpeckledyHen Fri 23-Oct-20 08:36:12

Liberty Tana lawn is a beautiful fabric , I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

CardiCorgi Fri 23-Oct-20 08:45:58

I made my own in “Strawberry Thief” a few years ago having boggled at the prices and can confirm that the fabric feels lovely and washes very well.
The fabric width is about 135cm, so I needed 2m for short pyjamas, allowing for some wastage when pattern-matching.

FreeButtonBee Fri 23-Oct-20 09:29:19

Yes I have also gone down the route of making my own Liberty print nightie. I love it (mistakes and all) and am planning a whole wardrobe of them plus some ultra wide PJ bottoms ( I never wear PJ tips so will just have complimentary tank tops to match).

I used this pattern and lengthened it a bit and make the neck into a lower v neck.

megannielsen.com/products/eucalypt-woven-tank-dress-sewing-pattern

groutingqueen Fri 23-Oct-20 11:18:29

@Vello thank you! I haven't ever been in a liberty shop. I don't think there are any near me. Does anywhere do concession that you know of? It'd be good to see them!

I was eyeing up Toast pjs. I'm not tall but I do have long legs and a fat arse and legs so often find with pjs that they're either too short on the leg or too tight on the thigh. I haven't had anything from toast yet but thinking about going to a JL to have a look at them

groutingqueen Fri 23-Oct-20 11:19:43

Fleurchamp

I have had several pairs of the pyjamas - I love Liberty print and so my DH sees them as an easy win for birthdays and Christmas grin

My last pair he bought me after the birth of our DD 3 years ago and they still look as good as new despite weekly wear.

Thanks for this @Fleurchamp ! How do they size up? Are they true to size? I don't wear pj tops as usually just wear a long sleeve top with the bottoms!

groutingqueen Fri 23-Oct-20 11:20:40

Djangor3725

I got a tana lawn liberty dressing gown about 18months ago - with a discount - if you sign up with them they send out the occasional offer. Just love the fabric and pattern (it was the imari pattern) but I was surprised that it was very simply made - so collar & overlap not sown down as they often are. If you don't have a discount it would be worth looking at how much a local dressmaker would charge as you could just buy the fabric - although you need to bear in mind that tana lawn fabric is sold in narrower width than most fabrics.
Dressing gowns last for ages though - & liberty fabric so special that I would have been just as happy to save up & pay full price =- for me it was a very special treat & I love wearing it.

Thank you! Can I ask what sort of discount code is seen as decent from liberty? I saw a 10% one for signing up a new account but haven't seen anything else

Fleurchamp Fri 23-Oct-20 11:43:01

@groutingqueen I am a size 8/10 and wear a Small in the pyjamas - they fit perfectly.
I am 5ft 6 and they are not long long on me, I imagine they would be a bit short on anyone taller.

Vello Fri 23-Oct-20 13:15:42

You can buy Liberty fabric in all sorts of places, but the shop is really one of a kind. It's in London and it's basically the Ministry of Magic. Look it up on Youtube!

Hesperatum Fri 23-Oct-20 13:21:55

Look on Etsy. There are a few businesses that sell liberty print kimonos.

LilyRose88 Fri 23-Oct-20 13:22:34

My daughter bought me one for Christmas a few years ago. It is amazing quality and I love it. I didn't realise it was so expensive though! shock

Djangor3725 Fri 23-Oct-20 15:40:29

I think the offer I had was 15 or 20% - they do a few offers over the year & I was very pleased that they had one on nightware as the dressing gown in the fabric I wanted was not discounted in their summer sale later on.

LizziesTwin Fri 23-Oct-20 17:50:30

They had a 20% discount at the end of September. I have one of their long silk dressing gowns, it was a present from a friend. She’s the best present giver.

KaliforniaDreamz Fri 23-Oct-20 18:13:18

I have PJs they are beautful and very stylish on, however i actually find them v uncomfortable to sleep in! but perhaps i should've sized up. 100% cotton means no give...

Sasuma Sat 24-Oct-20 00:20:30

I have some of the cotton PJs and a dressing gown. Several years old and going strong. The fabric is lovely. Definitely recommend.

The other brand I really recommend if you don’t mind spending money is Derek Rose.

PS Liberty is a famous, luxury, very old-school department store. Its in London. It’s not a chain.... it is worth a visit if you’re ever in London though, it’s fun to browse.

GreenPlum Sat 24-Oct-20 00:27:43

It's the most beautiful shop! I can only afford their face masks which are also beautiful! They make having to wear a face mask more bearable!

BitOfFun Sat 24-Oct-20 00:35:51

You can buy Liberty Tana Lawn fabric elsewhere though. There is a branch of this place (which does online delivery) near me, and they sometimes have sales.

EdinaMonsoon Sat 24-Oct-20 09:17:47

I have one of their silk dressing gowns in a peacock feather print & it’s beautiful. It’s now 4 years old & looks brand new. Beautiful quality silk, properly constructed ie french seams & no overlocking which means it’s soft against the skin & just as lovely on the inside as the outside. It feels like such a treat for an everyday item. Would definitely buy again.

EdinaMonsoon Sat 24-Oct-20 09:21:28

If you are thinking of buying Liberty tana lawn online, make sure it is actually Liberty branded. Many fabric suppliers use it as a generic term (referencing the typical surface pattern). Not all cotton is equal quality. Liberty cotton is woven to have an almost silk like handle. Cheaper versions can be scratchy & significantly rougher & be quite stiff meaning that they are uncomfortable for pjs in particular.

Oldraver Sat 24-Oct-20 09:25:46

I briefly worked for a company owned by Liberty. The fabric was a dream to see

Bookishandblondish Sat 24-Oct-20 15:22:51

I bought a few sets in cotton - which I wore as day wear rather than night wear during summer. I found them large - medium as a size 12 was fine. Liberty did 50% off if you’re signed up to thief mailing list so cost £100 - expensive but lovely cotton.

And my stylish godmother didn’t recognise them as pyjamas when I wore them to a garden lunch.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in