Talk

Advanced search

I've never dyed my hair, what do I need to know?

(51 Posts)
giantangryrooster Fri 04-Sep-20 13:02:09

I usually get highlights done at the hairdressers. Now I'm wondering if I dare try to make them myself. I've googled and googled and there is so much advice. Now what do I basically need to know? Top tips?

(and please remember if it goes tits up, it's because of your advice (or lack of) grin.

OP’s posts: |
giantangryrooster Fri 04-Sep-20 19:07:23

Bump

dementedpixie Fri 04-Sep-20 19:10:04

I wouldnt even attempt highlights at home. I'd stick to an all over colour unless you had somebody to help you

Regularsizedrudy Fri 04-Sep-20 19:11:28

Same as above! I would not try highlights at home, it’s a real skill!

Regularsizedrudy Fri 04-Sep-20 19:12:02

(And I dye my hair at home (all over) normally so not usually timid)

PolloDePrimavera Fri 04-Sep-20 19:14:34

I've dyed my hair loads... And generally, it's been fine. You used to be able to get a L'Oréal highlights kit but I'm not sure it's still available.
My main tips would be: you need two boxes; choose a colour slightly lighter than you want. If it does go too dark, don't panic, you can get colour remover. I'd also try semi permanent first.

ihatelockdown Fri 04-Sep-20 19:16:39

Don't!!
You are looking hundreds to get it fixed

LadyofTheManners Fri 04-Sep-20 19:17:13

If doing an all over colour, and you have any length over shoulders you'll be best buying two bottles.
I've used so many different types, best I feel for colour and not wrecking the hair is L'Oréal Excellence. Live is crap, Nutrisse doesn't last very long and is watery too. I used to like Olia but they changed it and now it's really smelly and the coverage is awful.
Use an old towel. Buy extra gloves as they do tend to tear.
If you get the dye on your skin, get rid asap as it will stain, I find alcohol hand sanitizer works really well (stinks a bit but I due mine red so don't want to dye me red!).
Follow the instructions, don't be tempted to leave it on for longer. And be prepared that it will take a while to wash out, in fact most times you won't get the water completely clear again so as long as it's almost clear it's fine (I tend to wash mine the next day).
Hope that helps!

dementedpixie Fri 04-Sep-20 19:20:38

I dont use a towel, I use a t-shirt that is only used when dyeing my hair so it doesn't matter if it gets stained

giantangryrooster Fri 04-Sep-20 19:21:56

Thank you, actually the highlights are going to be fairer than the rest of the hair, so bleaching. Is that even worse doing yourself?

And at the moment I only got dh at home, recon he is worse than no help at all grin.

Chachacha90 Fri 04-Sep-20 19:22:50

Hell. No.
Highlighting is a technique. It’s not something you can just decide to do one day.

dementedpixie Fri 04-Sep-20 19:23:27

highlight are too fiddly to do on yourself. Were you going to use foils or one of those caps?

SoManyActivities Fri 04-Sep-20 19:26:39

I am all about the home hair dye and regularly bleach my own hair at home. Even I would say do not attempt home highlights! What bleach are you planning to use? Are you doing foils or a cap (do not do a cap!!!) You will also need a toner.

I would honestly rethink this!

SoManyActivities Fri 04-Sep-20 19:27:05

Especially if you have never even dyed your own hair before!

Chachacha90 Fri 04-Sep-20 19:28:16

Can I just point out even a hairdresser wouldn’t do their own highlights

SoManyActivities Fri 04-Sep-20 19:30:11

Chachacha90

Can I just point out even a hairdresser wouldn’t do their own highlights

Some hairdressers do - I have seen them on YouTube and Instagram doing their own foils, although these are always sort of subtle 'babylights' refreshes, rather than a full head of highlights. This can only end badly OP!

Redcrayons Fri 04-Sep-20 19:31:54

Highlights are a bit ambitious especially for a first time.
All over is easy enough, clean up any spills immediately. I also have a hair dye T-shirt (an old maternity T-shirt).

purplecorkheart Fri 04-Sep-20 19:39:21

Highlights at home, nope. Colour repair costs a fortune and you can easily do damage that means you have to wait months for your hair to grow out. Honestly not worth the risk. If needs be I would try to find a hairdressing school/salon that does training and needs models.

hastingsmua1 Fri 04-Sep-20 19:47:18

So you’ve never coloured your hair yourself before and for the first time you want to attempt highlights? hmm You’re literally going from 0-100. It’s such an advanced service and there’s a very wide scope of things that can go wrong so why would you risk it?

If cost is a factor, it WILL end up working out more expensive in the long run hun.

giantangryrooster Fri 04-Sep-20 19:55:03

Soo, I was planning on foil, but you have talked me out of it grin.

Just got to learn to live with my pate colored hair till I can go to the hairdresser.

Thanks so much for your help smile.

hastingsmua1 Fri 04-Sep-20 20:07:44

To make you feel better about waiting, YouTube hair bleach fails to see what could have gone wrong!

dementedpixie Fri 04-Sep-20 20:11:20

yeah, watch Brad Mondo and the hair fails he gets sent

SoManyActivities Fri 04-Sep-20 20:18:02

'Pate coloured hair' really made me laugh for some reason! grin

giantangryrooster Fri 04-Sep-20 20:22:27

Will try youtube for hair fails, might cheer me up.

And @SoManyActivities it is not funny, i tell you, not funny grin.

MikeUniformMike Fri 04-Sep-20 21:08:55

I've had home highlight from a kit (Wella etc) many times and they are fine.
You need someone to do them for you - to pull the hair through the cap.

Follow the instructions to the letter.

Other tip - wear old clothes and use an old towel.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in