Talk

Advanced search

Anyone interested in a style challenge ? Not for the faint of heart

(7 Posts)
mumtodd Wed 03-Oct-07 22:53:20

I'm looking for some style advice. Here is the tricky part - I'm 5'3 and size 18. I have a 16 month old dd and before she was born even though I was the same size or maybe even a bit bigger I could always find nice clothes. After dd was born I had PND and totally lost interest in going anywhere or taking care of myself. Slowly but surely I am beginning to feel like my old self but I now realise I don't have a single decent thing to wear for any occasion. I did try recently but in all the smock style tops I look pregnant and I just don't think I am tall enough to carry off the dress over jeans look although I quite like it. I am 33 by the way and brunette if that is any help. Any ideas on what I should be wearing? I mainly need grown-up causal clothes and maybe one nice outfit for meals out/pub. Please help.

InMyHumbleOpinion Wed 03-Oct-07 23:01:00

What sort of figure do you have? are you busty or bottomy?

You have exactly the same measurments as me. I don't think smocks cut the mustard for me - make me look pregnant. V necks really help to pull the eye off the tummy area, with a pretty necklace. ALWAY wear heels, they knock a dress size off your appearance (I don't, I live in trainers but I DO scrub up ok)

Nice dark coloured jeans with a variety of v necked 3/4 sleeve tops, and a little black cardigan will go with most things day to day, and will avoid looking bulky.

www.yoursclothing.co.uk/ is a great shop, the clothes are good quality for the price (better than DPs) but the trousers are LONG! I have lots of their tops, prefer them to Evans, Peacocks ot Dotty's.

Sticking to one colour over your whole body will lengthen your silhoette. Apparentlyhmm

mumtodd Wed 03-Oct-07 23:09:27

Thanks for your reply. I am definitely bigger on top - D-DD boobs and my stomach area problem the most problematic for me now. The things you describe are exactly what I like and what I used to wear but just don't see them around these days. I also love long skirts - denim or thin cord but haven't seen one in any of the shops.
I have shopped in Evans and have Simply Be catalog which has some nice things but with both of them I find they are made for someone taller. I'll check the link you gave me.

JackieNo Wed 03-Oct-07 23:12:41

Size 18 isn't that big you know - you can just shop at 'ordinary' shopsgrin. I quite like the look of some of the skirts at Celtic Sheepskin (not made of sheepskin, thank goodnessgrin):
this one
this one and
this one.

Wrap tops also very good on larger norks - with a vest top underneath if necessary.

JackieNo Wed 03-Oct-07 23:13:24

(by the way, I'm a 5'4" size 20, so know where you're coming fromgrin)

MeltingandScreamingIcarus Wed 03-Oct-07 23:18:14

Get a proper bra fitting. I would be surprised if you are really a d/dd. Get them hoicked up and on show it will do wonders for your shape.

I would suggest slim fitting non clingy light fabrics. Not bulky knits etc.

Smicks - aaargh on nearly everyone. V necks scoop necks are great. Trousers instead of jeans, nice plain coloured top and a cardie with a toning coloured necklace and you will feel great.

mumtodd Thu 04-Oct-07 20:28:24

Hi, thanks for all the replies.

JackieNo I love the skirts you linked to - I think I will order the one with the buttons down the sides. I realise 18 isn't that big and have been this size and a bit bigger for years and never had a problem shopping. I think I just lost my way a bit because between pregnancy and pnd i haven't really been into fashion for nearly 2 years. I don't think the current fashions suit me which is a PITA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now