Talk

Advanced search

Last minute interview tomorrow... no smart clothing

(55 Posts)
outfithelp30 Wed 05-Aug-20 20:17:40

I have a last-minute interview tomorrow morning at 9am. Found out lunch time today.

I also own absolutely no smart clothes and this is a senior position that I really want!

I currently work in a creative industry, so I wear a T-shirt, jeans and trainers to the office (when it was open) basically every day. So that's all I have. Only bottoms are jeans. No dresses or skirts. I own one 'nice' blouse. Shoes are trainers, UGG boots or flip flops. confused

This job is a retail/creative position.

WTF do I wear?!

OP’s posts: |
domesticslattern Wed 05-Aug-20 20:22:04

Is it a virtual interview? That would save you doing your bottom half.
Can you whiz round the house of a friend who is your size and borrow something?

sleepismysuperpower1 Wed 05-Aug-20 20:23:33

can you make a trip to a Sainsburys/Tesco this evening or tomorrow morning for a skirt and a cheap pair of black flat shoes, that you can wear with your blouse?

outfithelp30 Wed 05-Aug-20 20:23:40

@domesticslattern Alas not, they actually want me to go into their offices!

No friends/family near me, unfortunately. sad

wishing3 Wed 05-Aug-20 20:24:27

Black jeans with the blouse?

IsaLain Wed 05-Aug-20 20:24:47

Borrow or find go now to an Asda or Tesco and get something simple and professional. Wont be fancy but will do the job for an interview.

IsaLain Wed 05-Aug-20 20:25:55

You cant go to an interview in black jeans, not if this place expects business attire.

Anthilda Wed 05-Aug-20 20:27:59

Borrow something off a friend?

Xuli Wed 05-Aug-20 20:28:08

Is there anywhere you can go tonight, a late night supermarket?

Otherwise do you have friends, a local WhatsApp or Facebook group where you can put a shout out? A dress would help, or a jacket to go over your nice top with jeans?

But also, explaining to them when you arrive won't go amiss - just say it was so last minute and you had nothing in the wardrobe, you hope they don't mind?

Anthilda Wed 05-Aug-20 20:28:26

Sorry, just seen you have no friends near

MrsGrindah Wed 05-Aug-20 20:28:59

Off topic, but why the hell so little notice?! Can you rearrange? I agree that turning up in jeans is likely to be unacceptable for a senior position.Always,always err on the side of smart regardless of how the company employees dress day to day.

Ginfordinner Wed 05-Aug-20 20:39:40

Could you not have gone shopping straight after work for some suitable clothes? TBH I am struggling to believe that you have nothing smart to wear for an interview at all, and that you waited until after 8pm to realise this.

I agree with MrsGrindah that you should always dress smartly for an interview. The phrase I often see on mumsnet is "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"

AnxiousAlpaca Wed 05-Aug-20 20:42:46

Shame it’s not an online interview. I had one of those during lockdown and dressed smart from the waist up only grin I interviewed someone today face to face and I dressed casual. As an interviewer I’m really not fussed one bit what my candidates turn up dressed like only if they’re good for the role. Unfortunately I know not everyone is like that. As others have can you maybe get some cheap boots from a George or something? I reckon you could get away with blouse, jeans and boots.

HereBeFuckery Wed 05-Aug-20 20:44:50

Do Next still do urgent/next day delivery if you order by 10pm or has that stopped?

Hoppinggreen Wed 05-Aug-20 20:46:46

If not too late by now get yourself to a large Sainsbury’s

EdwardCullensBiteOnTheSide Wed 05-Aug-20 20:47:15

Why didn't you go asda or something earlier? You need to try to get something, even if just a plain pair of shoes and a skirt or trousers. Jeans won't be good enough I don't think unfortunately.

ScrapThatThen Wed 05-Aug-20 20:52:38

Wear jeans trainers and blouse and concentrate on practising your answers and wowing them.

maddiemookins16mum Wed 05-Aug-20 20:54:18

No friends or family at all within an hours drive, not one?

mrssmiling Wed 05-Aug-20 20:57:43

You have time...hopefully! Check the opening times of your nearest large supermarkets online. Agree with previous poster that Sainsbury’s would be best - they have some well designed clothes in nice fabrics, and a sale on. Otherwise Tesco or Asda. Please don’t wear jeans to an interview - look at smart trousers with a jacket.

outfithelp30 Wed 05-Aug-20 20:58:41

@Ginfordinner I've been travelling home from a staycation since lunch time, hence why I couldn't go out shopping.

MyPersona Wed 05-Aug-20 20:59:03

You found out a lunch time today and didn’t go out and sort yourself out this afternoon?

MyPersona Wed 05-Aug-20 21:00:39

Ah X post sorry. You must have known what you had though, should have done a detour via a shopping centre if you really want the job.

outfithelp30 Wed 05-Aug-20 21:01:37

@MyPersona Was on a coach!

NotMeNoNo Wed 05-Aug-20 21:02:14

Assuming you aren't out at a 24 hour Tesco, I'd wear your absolute cleanest jeans, trainers and that nice top, best possible hair and make-up. Start by saying in a very confident way, I do apologise for being dressed down, but I only had a half day notice as you know and my current role is very casual. I really didn't want to delay this interview to go shopping!

Then you just need to blow them away with your competencies.

IsaLain Wed 05-Aug-20 21:02:17

You must have driven past a large supermarket?
Also, they will still be open. Go out now!! It wont take long.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in