Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have found some nice jumpers but they are handwash only.WWYD?

(10 Posts)
Mercy Mon 01-Oct-07 16:59:14

Would you risk putting them in a washing machine?

I don't mind washing the odd small thing by hand but not jumpers. I desparately need some new A/W tops, I'm very fussy and hardly ever find anything I like and I now can't decide what to do.

Why does this always happen to me? [indecisive]

Whooosh Mon 01-Oct-07 17:01:41

I deliberately accidentally broke my washing machine and then had to buy one which had a handwash cycle.....

nutcracker Mon 01-Oct-07 17:02:32

I'd buy them and then give them to my mum to wash grin

dustystar Mon 01-Oct-07 17:03:56

I handwash jumpers in the sink and then chuck them in the machine for a cool rinse and spin. Every time I have tried to use the handwash thing on the machine something has shrunk. All I do is chuck them in the sink with some dtergent and luke warm water and give them a swirl about every now and then - seems to work.

MascaraOHara Mon 01-Oct-07 17:05:12

I have a hand wash option on my machine it is fabulous.

Otherwise you could try the coolest setting for washin if you think you can stop the wash before the spin cycle starts.

dustystar Mon 01-Oct-07 17:07:34

Should i not be spinning my jumpers then Mascara? Oopsblush They seem ok.

MascaraOHara Mon 01-Oct-07 17:09:27

yes, as long as they're not handwash.. or they might go out of shape(?) it's a pain in the arse having really heavy jumpers that are handwash though - take forever to dry!

Soemtimes I have cheated and put on a very gentle spin.

DaisyMOO Mon 01-Oct-07 17:11:02

Agitation (ie spinning) is as much a problem as temperature with handwash stuff. I tend to put them on a silk wash and turn the spin off then squeeze the water out by hand. I used to risk the lowest spin speed but did shrink a lambswool jumper of dh's recently doing this angry

Mercy Mon 01-Oct-07 19:19:35

lol Whooosh!

I've got a feature on the washing machine which gives options for silk or wool at cold or 30 or 40 degrees and a spin cycle of 700. I have washed a merino wool top in the w/m and it was ok (but was dh's top!)

But yes, I would be concerned about lambswool (but I think that's rather scratchy anyway isn't it?)

I think the manufacturers are probably being overly-cautious [hopeful] Oh god, it's the drying though.......

Bluestocking Mon 01-Oct-07 19:25:24

Here's how to dry heavy handwash-only jumpers. Squeeze out as much water as you can and lay out flat on a large towel. Fold the edges of the towel round the outline of the jumper, keeping it flat. Then roll the towel up tightly. Put the whole thing, tightly rolled, into a laundry bag - one of those net things for putting bras and tights into. Stick it into the washing machine and spin the living daylights out of it. When you take the bundle out and unroll it, the jumper will be nearly dry. Then you can just peg it out/hang it on a hanger indoors according to the weather.
Re OP, I put most things in the washing machine on a gentle cycle with washing liquid for delicate fabrics. The only thing I consent to handwash is a silk jersey shirt with a really nice sheen because I know the sheen won't last if I put it in the machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now