Middle aged moment

(27 Posts)
CushionsandCandles Fri 31-Jul-20 18:21:52

Tell me about that moment you suddenly realised you had to accept middle age gracefully.

Mine happened today.

Found my first grey pubic hair.

shock

OP’s posts: |
evilharpy Fri 31-Jul-20 18:51:16

Hasn't happened yet. I've just turned 40 and am firmly in denial.

JMAngel1 Fri 31-Jul-20 19:00:50

About 3 months ago when I found out I had a 29 inch waist. It's always been 27 - got it down to 28 now and hell bent on another inch - will not give in!!
God I found grey pubic hairs in my 30s - it's why I'm a lover of Brazilians grin

satsunshine Sat 01-Aug-20 12:40:36

The middle aged tummy which I can't seem to get rid of. Also noticing how old I look on Zoom meetings lol

Pipandmum Sat 01-Aug-20 12:46:24

Oh no it was when the Tesco delivery guy asked me if I had grandchildren. My kids were 9 and 11 at the time. I guess I looked at him aghast but he then compounded the insult by saying that he knew several people younger than me with grandkids (to be fair, I did have my kids when in my 40s, and I do live in an area where there is a tendency towards very young motherhood, but still)!!!
My husband was once trying to catch our then not quite two year old from running into a busy area and a bystander called out 'hurry up grandpa'. He was crushed.

Deathraystare Sat 01-Aug-20 15:31:15

Well, yes to graying pubes.

Everyone calling me madam!

missyB1 Sat 01-Aug-20 15:47:36

When i realised that no matter how slim I am everything is sagging - literally everything! And once you are in your 50s sadly you just can't seem to defy gravity!

Oly4 Sat 01-Aug-20 15:53:15

I’m 44 and realised this in the last year. Clothes don’t look as good on me as they used to

Amrapaali Sat 01-Aug-20 16:00:39

Droopy eyelids the year I turned 40. Happened so suddenly and the difference was startling.

Also thinning hair...

ZaZathecat Sat 01-Aug-20 17:38:14

Around 54 when I realised those nose to mouth lines are permanent, and not just squashed morning face!

DuckonaBike Sat 01-Aug-20 17:42:35

Random hairs growing out of my face and needing to be pulled out with tweezers. I hate the little fuckers.

LoveBeingAMum555 Sat 01-Aug-20 18:18:47

Looking at myself in the mirror yesterday in a short summer dress with bare arms and legs. I work hard to keep myself as toned as I can but there is no escaping the fact that I am nearly 50.

allaglow Sun 02-Aug-20 10:56:43

I'm not overweight, but I can feel my upper arms flapping about when I use a salt shaker.

allaglow Sun 02-Aug-20 10:57:21

(I'm 56)

pastaparadise Mon 03-Aug-20 00:19:41

allaglow haha i also noticed this when clapping!

Thicker waist, thinner hair sad

justilou1 Mon 03-Aug-20 03:07:31

I have had a 'Mo since I went off the pill in my 20's, and one or two random pig bristles on my chin. I noticed that my pubes were getting "blonder" then realised that they weren't blonde, but grey. Mortifying. I am blonde, so they kind of disappear completely. Have been pretty smug that I managed to cruise through to almost 50 with no grey hairs on head. Just found a couple next to my ears. Very sad about it, so I had foils done for the first time, and no-one will know they exist now!

LunaNorth Mon 03-Aug-20 03:14:29

The family droopy right eyelid appeared.

Noticing age spots appearing - especially on my hands, which suddenly resemble my late mum’s.

Going to Paris and noticing I’d graduated to ‘Madame’.

Patchy pubes blush

Waiting ages to get served at a bar.

And certain outfits suddenly stopped working. I’d put them on, and it was suddenly just...no. I can’t even say it was ‘mutton dressed as lamb.’ It was just...no.

OneKeyAtATime Mon 03-Aug-20 03:46:12

@LunaNorth

'Mademoiselle' doesn't exist anymore so it's not you, it's French law! smile

remainin Mon 03-Aug-20 03:47:18

My earlobes have creases in them. I'm starting to get crepey skin on my neck and upper arms. Grey pubes, prickly chin, thinner lips and hair... sad

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Mon 03-Aug-20 05:47:31

Jowls, crepey neck, thinning hair and a thicker waist. The tummy weight gain is the worst - I always had a tiny waist but it's all gone now. Hate the jowls too - used to have a lovely jaw line but it's all horrid and slack these days.

satsunshine Mon 03-Aug-20 06:42:06

@justilou1 you have done very well to only have a few grey hairs at 50. I started to go grey at 27

parrotonthesofa Mon 03-Aug-20 06:52:20

Errr @onekeyatatime 'madamoiselle' is still widely used in the north east of France at least. Was not aware there was a law against it? But people are not following it in any case 😂

ittooshallpass Mon 03-Aug-20 07:04:03

All the video calls have been a shock for me... I had no idea I looked so... saggy!

justilou1 Mon 03-Aug-20 07:42:51

@satsunshine - win some/lose some, I have the creaking joints of a million year old

beatrixpotterspencil Mon 03-Aug-20 11:57:52

im happy with myself, was a pretty cool moment I guess.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in