Talk

Advanced search

If you were 40-50% grey by 40, when we’re you 100% grey?

(8 Posts)
Anamenamechange Fri 31-Jul-20 16:17:19

Been steadily going grey since my 20s but it’s seems to have amped up in the last couple of years. I’m 40 now and I still dye it, but need to every 2-3 weeks (which I don’t love, but use a box dye as can’t afford a salon visit that often!).

Just wondering when people went 100% grey?

And what age people stopped dyeing their hair (if they ever started!). I’m not quite ready to be grey yet...

OP’s posts: |
EraOfTheGrey Fri 31-Jul-20 17:23:30

It took me a while from when I had to amp up the dyeing schedule. I was in denial that anyone could see my roots just 2 weeks after dyeing.

If I remember correctly my hairdresser told me I was about 80% grey when I was about 42. I finally removed all the dye when I was 45 to discover I was 100% grey. The lovely thing is that every year that passes my hair colour changes.

Anamenamechange Fri 31-Jul-20 19:50:54

Thanks, era! I do wonder if I might be even more grey than I think because I dye it very often now!

I don’t feel quite ready to embrace it yet, though I wish I was! grin

Were you glad to be rid of the dye and happy with your natural colour?

DeRigueurMortis Fri 31-Jul-20 19:55:18

Interesting so place marking....

CutCopyPastedLikeYou Fri 31-Jul-20 20:03:40

I think I'm about 98% grey and that happened when I was 45. I just couldn't keep up with it. So now I'm 49 and very grey indeed as I no longer dye it. I like it.

Many people don't though.

VinylDetective Fri 31-Jul-20 20:29:42

43 and 43. I love my silver hair and don’t give a damn what anyone else thinks of it.

EraOfTheGrey Fri 31-Jul-20 20:43:43

@Anamenamechange I had a lot more white than I expected and that was a relief. I love the white bits.

I agree with CutCopy with how decisive it is. I like my hair, I like that its now damage free and in the best condition ever. But many people seem to have strong opinions on showing your grey hair.

I would say if you aren't sure about embracing the grey then its probably better to keep dyeing. I did go from dark ashy brown to silver/grey overnight and it was a massive adjustment. Perhaps you could consider a change to a lighter colour.

Anamenamechange Sat 01-Aug-20 11:17:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in