Talk

Advanced search

School uniform - or not as the case may be. Need shirts and trousers!

(12 Posts)
SerenityNowwwww Tue 30-Jun-20 16:17:13

So it has been decided that the school won’t have uniform for the foreseeable but the kids will wear their own clothes.

They have been told to wear shirt and trousers. No, it doesn’t make sense to me either as they all get washed the same don’t they?

Anyway - what the heck am I going to send a 16 year old boy to school in? Uniforms are cheap compared to men’s clothes.

Left up to him he would wear a football shirt and shorts all year round.

Can anyone suggest decent brands that he can wear and blend in? Men’s shirts are expensive - much more so than school uniform! And he won’t wear chinos and they won’t allow denim.

I don’t suppose they will send him home if he rocks up in uniform?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Tue 30-Jun-20 16:18:59

Does he currently use shirts and trousers as uniform? Use them

SerenityNowwwww Tue 30-Jun-20 16:22:12

He’s outgrown everything now - he’s now worn a uniform for such a while now.

XFPW Tue 30-Jun-20 16:26:15

They won’t allow jeans? Uniforms where I live are expensive, but I agree that if I had to buy men’s trousers (not jeans!) and shirts it would be much dearer. It’s the blazers and all the extra stuff that adds the cost. Maybe try H&M - they usually have men’s skinnies which aren’t denim. As for shirts - I have no idea. Have they said what kind of shirts?

Justhavinganosy Tue 30-Jun-20 16:29:20

I’d have a look at the men’s suit section in primark, I believe the shirts and pants are quite cheap

SerenityNowwwww Tue 30-Jun-20 16:30:51

‘Collared shirts’. Uniforms are so much easier (and cheaper). To be changed and washed daily (yes because I was sending him in in dirty clothes before🙄).

Uniforms are made to be thrown into the washing machine for goodness sake!

IlonaRN Tue 30-Jun-20 20:41:28

Send him in white shirts (from the school uniform section) and grey (or black) trousers (from the school uniform section)!

princessbear80 Tue 30-Jun-20 20:47:31

If the school uniform had grey trousers before, buy black ones (or vice versa). Plain white (uniform) shirts. So still uniform, but different to his normal uniform.

SerenityNowwwww Tue 30-Jun-20 21:02:46

Uniform was choice of black or grey! He just laughed when I was grumbling and asked for pink shirts (apparently the kids got to vote on uniform/not too). I’ve been looking online and tm lewins have some nice shirts for about £15 and some nice skinny trousers.

He’s going into a-level year - and girls join the school this year so I suppose I’d better try to spruce him up.

AIMD Tue 30-Jun-20 21:05:50

If he’s going into A-level surely just give him a budget and let him decide what he wants to buy? If he wants anything expensive he is old enough to work for extra money to buy additional fancy stuff surely?

AIMD Tue 30-Jun-20 21:07:13

I thought not wearing uniform at Alevel was standard. Do some schools do uniform at A level still?

SerenityNowwwww Tue 30-Jun-20 21:17:22

He’s supposed to wear a suit. All very traditional. I could let him get on with it... but I don’t trust him not to get something weird and wonderful.

He’s a great lad but a bit like his old mum in some ways (oohhhhh yellow trousers - that’s unusual... must get them...). I remember my mum having to stop me from buying some very awful clothes when I was a teen (thank goodness). She gave up by the time I was 17 (hair all shaved off, ball gowns and DMs).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »