Talk

Advanced search

Shopping! New clothes new to London

(11 Posts)
alessandraV Sat 13-Jun-20 23:07:35

I'll be arriving to London in September after years of living in a tropical place. Not younger and not "lighter", I am in my 50's. I guess I'll have to do quarantine, but afterwards I'll need to buy some clothes for work, like trousers and tea dresses. Could you advice some nice and not terribly expense places to buy literally everything? Thank you grin

OP’s posts: |
mrslebon Sat 13-Jun-20 23:25:23

Probably John Lewis to be honest where you will be able to try a wide range of brands under one roof.

alessandraV Sun 14-Jun-20 00:57:05

Thank you wink

newwnamme Sun 14-Jun-20 01:07:31

Will you be able to try on anything?? I have been mulling over how uninspiring a return to shopping seems this evening. Queues, social distancing, one way systems, browsing discouraged, no trying on clothes. I was literally just reading about john Lewis - if you want to check two sizes or styles, you will need to pay for both and bring the wrong one back apparently. How is this going to work for fashion retailers who rely on people who shop because it is (was?) enjoyable?

Sorry to derail your thread op. If you dont mind paying upfront to try on your trousers and tea dresses, john Lewis is a good shout.

alessandraV Sun 14-Jun-20 04:42:17

I have been thinking that John Lewis would be difficult with so many people and shops in one place. Maybe I will have to go to smaller shops.🤷🏻‍♀️

WhatWouldDominicDo Sun 14-Jun-20 05:46:27

I hate it, but why don't you shop online?
I'm about your age and in like Sea Salt, Joules, White Stuff, Toast

alessandraV Sun 14-Jun-20 13:16:02

Thank you! I'll have a look. smile

mrslebon Mon 15-Jun-20 17:36:31

I personally wouldn’t look at Seasalt or Joules the workwear. Wellies maybe, but not workwear. Try Cos, Kin in John Lewis and Jigsaw.

WhatWouldDominicDo Mon 15-Jun-20 18:22:45

What's wrong with Sea Salt and Joules workwear?
Although it depends on how you define it.
I have just bought a lovely linen, short sleeved tunic dress from Sea Salt for work.

Defiantly41 Mon 15-Jun-20 18:28:51

John Lewis are doing personal styling by video call if you wanted to get some good ideas before ordering online

alessandraV Mon 15-Jun-20 19:37:53

Thank you for all the good ideas! I'll also have a look at John Lewis. I don't need to go extremely formal anyway. smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in