Talk

Advanced search

Tooth whitening

(4 Posts)
LoveBeingAMum555 Sun 24-May-20 21:23:41

I have a bit of a complex about my teeth, doesnt help that I was due to go to the dentist for my 6 month check in March which didnt happen. I think the colour of my teeth really ages me.

Even if we werent in lockdown I cant afford hundreds of pounds for proper whitening. Any tips? I always brush my teeth for two minutes twice a day but my electric toothbrush is ancient. I also drink more coffee than I should.

Oh and I have one of those Waterpix things in the bathroom cupboard that I forget to use!!

Should I buy a new toothbrush? Does anyone have recommendations for toothpaste? I know none of this is going to work miracles but is there anything I can do to make my teeth a bit whiter?

OP’s posts: |
UncleFoster Mon 25-May-20 19:43:31

Hi OP.

There are 2 reasons why your teeth might be not white

1) Teeth arent naturally white.
2) extrinsic staining

If you want your teeth to be whiter and there is staining, a scale and polish will sort that when dentists reopen. Theres nothing I would recommend doing at home as you risk wearing away your enamel, whitening products are abrasive

The only way to actually whiten your teeth is to bleach them. So get them whitened by your dentist.

Of course you want to be brushing your teeth twice a day, and flossing daily. But thats not really going to make them whiter, it just stops decay and gum disease.

If you drink a lot of coffee that will stain, as will tea/red wine. If you really wanted to drinking staining drinks through a straw can stop staining but coffee through a straw isnt pleasant

If I were you Id just accept the colour of your teeth. Like i said above teeth arent naturally white, you can save up for whitening at the dentists and if you shpp around there might be places with offers on when dentists reopen, but there isnt a cheap fix. Its better to have slightly yellow teeth than damaged teeth!

Glitterb Mon 25-May-20 20:24:52

I have a Phillips electric toothbrush and it’s brilliant, you can change the settings and it really does the job.

I also bought a teeth whitening system from Whites Beaconsfield, so far so good and it hasn’t irritated my sensitive teeth!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 26-May-20 09:03:48

Reduce the coffee, I have two in the morning before brushing. I have a phillips brush too and I brush three tines daily.

I use eucryl 2 x a week & mix hydrogen peroxide in my mouthwash.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in