Talk

Advanced search

Mulberry Darley or Lilly?

(18 Posts)
Fridaysgirl Sat 23-May-20 19:50:16

I'd like to buy a small classic bag. I've got larger bags for work. This would be for short trips out and going out.

I instinctively like the look of the Lily more but it's less structured and might need a liner to stop it deforming. I also like the fact the chain can be used at two different lengths. The chain is also more attractive as has leather woven through it.

However I think the Darley looks more structured, has pockets and might last the rest of time. It also looks smart as a clutch. And is cheaper.

I'm looking at the medium in both and oxblood.

Any helpful suggestions? It's a nice problem to have but clearly seeing both in the flesh at the moment problematic.

MondeoFan Sat 23-May-20 19:59:10

I prefer the Lily but think the Darley is more classic and probably won't date as quick. I would probably buy the Lily as I like it slightly more.

Ninkanink Sat 23-May-20 20:01:15

In your shoes I’d buy the Darley. I have both and I think the Darley is the better bag if it’s a choice of one or the other.

BooFuckingHoo2 Sat 23-May-20 20:01:58

I’d disagree and say the lily is a more classic bag. I’d go for a lily if in a classic colour and the Darley if it’s yellow/green/something more out there.

Macarena1990 Sat 23-May-20 20:03:03

I have had my lily for about 3 years and still love it. I think is a classic.

I don't use a liner with it but do stuff it quite tightly when it's in storage to help keep the shape.

Ninkanink Sat 23-May-20 20:04:32

They’ll both be classics for years to come. Neither one will date.

westr Sat 23-May-20 21:05:37

I have 2 Lilys - one small and one large and would recommend

Sazquatch Sat 23-May-20 21:08:00

I’ve got my eye on the small yellow dawg in the sale. I like it as it’s got a zip bit and card slots so it’s essentially just a big purse. I’m not convinced I won’t get bored of it very quickly though. I just can’t decide.

The summer sale seems quite limited this year? I’m quite disappointed in it.

Sazquatch Sat 23-May-20 21:08:29

Dawg?? 😂
I meant Darley!

MrsHuntGeneNotJeremyObviously Sun 24-May-20 09:00:27

I think you should buy the one you instinctively love, or you will hanker after it, even after you've bought the other. If you are like me, you will then end up with both, which won't be cheaper.

Ninkanink Sun 24-May-20 09:23:55

Have you been into a shop and seen them both in person (obviously not right now)? You might know for certain which you actually really want once you’ve compared them. If the Lily is the one you love, buy that one. Or order both if you can afford it, then you can model outfits and see which goes best with your wardrobe.

Ninkanink Sun 24-May-20 09:25:30

Ah ok having read OP again, you haven’t been able to see both in the flesh...

Can you stretch to buying both and returning one?

SarBear1980 Sun 24-May-20 16:25:14

I bought a Lily in oak in 2012 and it’s my absolute favourite bag still today - it’s beautiful, classic and still makes me smile years later! 😀 Fits my purse, phone, keys, lip balm - love to sling it over with jeans and go...I have thought about a Darley but love my Lily so much and I’m looking for a bigger work bag now.

Verite1 Sun 24-May-20 16:51:12

I’ve got a lily. Tend to use it on hols/summer evenings. Condition still very good (and I’m terrible at looking after my bags!). I don’t use it a huge amount during day though as I never find metal straps that comfortable. I prefer the look to the Darley though.

carrielou2007 Mon 25-May-20 14:26:26

I have both a regular lily (metallic mushroom) and a medium (oxblood croc something) they are both I feel gorgeous! The medium size does feel heavy to me so not an everyday bag for me I prefer my Antony bags. Sorry no pics of the MM, here is medium bought from Shelton mallet outlet last year

carrielou2007 Mon 25-May-20 14:28:14

Terrible pic sorry it looks black it’s oxblood

Springtime003 Mon 25-May-20 14:32:17

I’ve got both. Both amazing. It depends on your style ? Lily is more casual as unstructured but can also be formal.

JollyGiraffe12 Mon 25-May-20 14:36:05

I had the same issue so ordered both and went with the Lily in the end it’s just lovely

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »