Talk

Advanced search

What are you doing if you normally have highlights?

(44 Posts)
TeaChocKitKat Sat 23-May-20 18:06:06

My roots are looking terrible. If I normally had an all over colour I think I'd have attempted a DIY job by now but I'm worried that if I do that I'll just mess up my colour long term.
Just wondered what any other highlighted mumsnetters are doing, are you living with the roots or have you caved and gone for a box dye?

RainbowCookie Sat 23-May-20 18:07:26

Doing nothing, I think putting a box dye over highlights could be a complete disaster so not going to risk it

Crystalspider Sat 23-May-20 18:20:32

I caved in and done cap highlights, just pulled them through the top parting, still roots underneath but hopefully no one can see

It hurts to do it and I normally only let my hairdresser with her 20years experience touch my hair but my roots just got too bad to leave it.
It's ok, its not salon quality but it will have to do for now.

VanGoghsDog Sat 23-May-20 18:20:59

I have half head highlights, but I have dark hair so not like blonde steaks, just a different brown to break up the steely grey.

I've put a semi perm over, a slightly darker brown, and it's fine.

The box said not to use within x number of weeks of previous perm colour (can't remember the number) and it looks fine.

If I was blonde I think I'd do the same with a dark blonde or very light brown. It washes out in 28 washes so not a big deal.

Mind you, my hairdresser is going to be mad at me!

TeaChocKitKat Sat 23-May-20 18:32:58

Van Gogh, oh I hadn't even thought of s semi. Maybe a semi that's close to my natural colour might tone it all down until the salons reopen.
I do worry about the condition of my hair though. I went to a salon years ago that used loreal colours which completely disagreed with my hair and ruined its condition sad

earthyfire Sat 23-May-20 18:41:38

My hair appointment got cancelled the week salons shut and so my roots are terrible right now and way overdue a touch up - they are so bad I have contemplated going back to my natural hair colour! I have been thinking about doing a cap of highlights as it looks easier but drugstore colour/bleach doesn't touch my natural hair colour I will have to purchase stronger stuff online.

dementedpixie Sat 23-May-20 18:43:29

I've turned my highlights pink just for the hell of it!

dementedpixie Sat 23-May-20 18:45:47

I've not used permanent colour though, just rose shampoo and a wash in wash out tube of colour

nitgel Sat 23-May-20 18:47:12

Nothing. Don't really care about my hair atm. In fact i think i get highlights too much .

LetTheSecretOut Sat 23-May-20 18:50:28

Would it be easier to attempt a root smudge, so choose a colour close to your natural coloyr and drag it down a bit so your roots look like they are supposed to be there. Kinda like balayage.

SundayReilly Sat 23-May-20 18:52:45

Done my roots and partings with a permanent in in my base colour

Pinned my highlighted lengths out of the way

Looks ok - cost me £5 instead of £75 .

Sadandsadder Sat 23-May-20 18:53:37

Sitting in the sun has refreshed my balayage really well!!!

Honeyroar Sat 23-May-20 18:55:07

My hairdresser is actually selling packs of dye in your usual colour to use at home. Might be worth contacting them?

carlywurly Sat 23-May-20 19:40:59

Used a load of fudge purple shampoo to tone down the bleach brass look of my highlights. It's made a real difference. My hands are also purple..

Sun has lightened my roots to a golden brown. My hair grows quickly so if I could chop a couple of inches off the ends (long bob) it would almost look like balayage.

I'm sticking it in a ponytail and leaving well alone other then that. Quite tempted to grow out my highlights altogether- they're an expensive, time consuming faff.

Moonflower12 Sat 23-May-20 20:24:47

I have used a box colour - medium blonde ( a '9') as my roots were ridiculously awful. I'd cancelled my hair appointment as I'd had to cover sickness at work. Little did I think how long it'd be....

Then I've got an '11' and brushed it through the front bits using a paint brush and wrapped them up in tinfoil. It looks ok.

SpeedofaSloth Sat 23-May-20 20:29:50

I have used some £4 blonde toners from Superdrug, they have worked really quite well to make my roots and ends look more like they belong together as my roots pick up a bit of colour as well as the bleached bits. Looks closer to ombre now (sort of). They don't last many washes, I have this one on at the mo:
www.superdrug.com/Hair/Hair-Colourants/Hair-Toner/Bblonde-Toner-75ml-Spice/p/771635.
I am not brave enough to handle bleach at home and I don't really want to go darker all over.

BecomingMe Sat 23-May-20 20:32:54

I used a semi-permanent dye - 15 minutes on the roots then 5 minutes all over. It’s only a subtle change but definitely a bit better.

drspouse Sat 23-May-20 20:46:04

I've used a semi permanent pink, twice. Not sure what to do now, I hardly ever use the camera on Teams anyway!

Melonportal Sat 23-May-20 20:56:07

I caved and used a box dye in a pearl blonde colour all over. I was really nervous about it but it actually looks pretty good. Hasn't covered my grey that well but it'll definitely do for now.

AgnesNaismith Sat 23-May-20 20:59:27

I bought a box dye and hand painted some highlights onto the front of my hair using a toothbrush. I picked up the lighter bits using a cooking bamboo stick and layered some cotton wool underneath each bit to stop it from bleeding onto the rest of my hair. It’s surprising how little you need to do to just refresh the front.

earthyfire Sat 23-May-20 21:06:42

The problem for me is that although I am 41 I don't have any grey but my natural colour is very dark warm auburn...nothing apart from bleach lifts it - if I put a semi permanent colour on the bleach it will just turn green. Having never left my roots to grow out this much before I quite like the idea of going back to my roots after 18 years of colouring my hair

Anotherlovelybitofsquirrel Sat 23-May-20 21:08:58

Using Batiste dry shampoo in Blonde. It works a treat!

Tulipstulips Sat 23-May-20 21:13:27

I’m living with it. Hardly anyone sees me atm anyway.

skinnyhotchoc Sat 23-May-20 21:23:57

I put a dark blonde box dye over it. It's actually come out fine

SauvignonGrower Sat 23-May-20 21:39:22

I'm using it as an opportunity to let my highlights grow out. Just can't justify all that time and money on my hair anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »