Talk

Advanced search

Summer tights suggestions

(8 Posts)
universallychallanged Sat 23-May-20 14:07:19

I'm back to work next week - a fairly formal office and I like to wear a skirt to look smart but I hate wearing a skirt without tights - my legs don't look good in many ways. Having been working from home for weeks, I've realised that I only have decent winter opaques in my drawer. I love the secure feeling of 60D opaques. I only started there last autumn and wore jeans in my previous jobs - so I have not worn summer tights since I was at school many years ago. Please can someone guide me to decent tights that are cool but won't show my veins. I fear that I will look silly and unfashionable in black tights in summer - but pale ones show through. Are black tights OK fashion wise in summer - or will I look like a frump? With the shops shut, I'll need to get them on line. Happy to pay £10 a pair if they are good. Help!

Ginfilledcats Sat 23-May-20 16:58:19

Could you wear 2 pairs of nude/skin colour tights. They're usually thinner therefore cooler than black tights but if you double up they'll be more opaque.

I think in the UK unless we're in the throws of a heatwave you may look a bit daft but to be honest people would just feel sorry for you being too hot!

Obviously it's a big no no to wear black tights with any light or summery dresses but if it's usual work attire like black skirts/tops I think you'll get away with black.

Try the nude doubling up?

Ghostlyglow Sat 23-May-20 18:07:44

I wear fishnets in summer sometimes.

universallychallanged Sat 23-May-20 19:13:40

Do black fishnets work or do you wear other shades? I have never bought or worn fishnets before - does the pant/gusset section have a net fabric - they would be nice and cool if they do - or is upper section normal tights fabric?

Ghostlyglow Sat 23-May-20 19:22:22

I wear black ones mainly, but that's kind of my style (ageing goth/rocker) but I sometimes wear nude ones too. As for the style of the tights, basically it depends-more expensive ones have cotton gusset, cheaper ones are just fishnet all over. Primark do good, cheap ones but obviously that's no good to you at the moment, I think Jonathan Aston sell online.

ClosedAuraOpenMind Sat 23-May-20 21:10:01

I bought some tights from Snags after seeing them recommended on here, and they're great, they don't skip down at all

they do 30 denier in lots of colours, so might work for you? plus supporting a small UK business always good smile

mimiasovitch Sat 23-May-20 22:26:21

I tried the pale 30 denier ones from snag - I think the shade is vanilla. I was expecting them to look quite heavy but I really like them.

universallychallanged Mon 25-May-20 10:59:32

Thanks for the advice. I have gone for some subtle coloured fishnets from UKtights. They sell Trasparenze brand - I have gone for 3 pairs to start - a peachy yellow, pink and white (although I think the white might now be a mistake) anyhow, not black and that is a giant leap in fashion change for me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »