Dungarees on adults

(118 Posts)
Runningforfood Sat 23-May-20 08:54:49

How do people feel about adults wearing dungarees?!

I’ve fancied some for ages and just ordered these: lucyandyak.com/collections/corduroy-dungarees

But now wondering what on earth I put with them top/shoes wise...and if I’ll just look silly 😂.

Any mumsnetters have dungaree success?!

OP’s posts: |
Starfish83 Sat 23-May-20 09:03:41

Absolutely love then and have three pairs (two of which are Lucy & Yak). Can wear anything under, from vintage-style blouse to simple vest or tee. I wear mine with DMs, Supergas or flip-flops. So comfy and mine are actually very flattering.

There are lots of MN dungas lovers. There will always be the haters too, but go for whatever you fancy, OP! 😊

Starfish83 Sat 23-May-20 09:04:14

*them

WhoWouldHaveThoughtThat Sat 23-May-20 09:05:07

They can have the air of a children's TV presenter. wink

speakfriendandenter Sat 23-May-20 09:05:54

I love mine! Even my mum who laughs at some of my outfits likes them. I wear trainers mainly and a plain tshirt underneath. They are so comfy!

Runningforfood Sat 23-May-20 09:06:55

Oohhh @Starfish83 I want to wear them rolled up with high top converse but nervous I’ll look ridiculous!

bilabongg Sat 23-May-20 09:08:45

I just can't get away from the kids tv presenter association. Love a jumpsuit though.

Tiramisuiloveyou Sat 23-May-20 09:09:17

If i was slimmer and in my 30’s/40’s (not 50’s) I would absolutely love a pair of those or some of their denim ones. I would say you could wear them with almost whatever you fancied low heeled shoe wise (vans, trainers, sandals, flip flops, DM’s). Top wise blouse, tshirt (long or short sleeved), I have even seen them styled with skinny rib jumpers and they can look good.

lotusbell Sat 23-May-20 09:09:29

I love the look but I am.5ft nothing and round and i know I'll look like a fat children's tv presenter in them, sadly. I think they look great on anyone with a bit of height.

Runningforfood Sat 23-May-20 09:11:21

Height is not on my side either....but I’m ok with looking like a children’s presenter I think- fits my character (trying to be edgy but ending up dorky cute 😬)

Toilenstripes Sat 23-May-20 09:11:24

I wore them in my 20s with clogs. These days I would resemble the Hindenburg

EyeDrops Sat 23-May-20 09:11:56

I love mine, i have 3 pairs of Lucy & Yaks. Ordinary t-shirts underneath, and trainers.

The one issue I haven't yet solved is a coat or jacket that looks reasonable over them, so any ideas on that would be great!!

RedRec Sat 23-May-20 09:12:15

I want some too, OP, but my 16 year old daughter has urged me not to! I will probably do it anyway and think you should too.

BuffaloCauliflower Sat 23-May-20 09:13:42

I have two pairs of Lucy and Yaks, I love them, though I’m more of a long boho dress person day to day.

NaturalCleaningParticles Sat 23-May-20 09:15:15

I tried on some denim ones and loved them from the front. Sadly from the side they made me look pregnant! (I'm a short size 14)

Herja Sat 23-May-20 09:15:55

I have yellow oversized ones covered in bees, which I wear with a yellow and white striped shirt... that does have more than a hint of the kids tv presenter about it, but it also makes me happy, so fuck it.

I also have more sensible ones, which I tend to wear with plain fitted T shirts, thin jumpers when cooler, and either loafers, trainers or birkenstocks OP, pretty much always with the cuffs rolled up.

LolaSmiles Sat 23-May-20 09:16:26

I wish I could like them, but I've seen too many that have the children's TV about them with bright, garish prints.
If a nice cut and neutral then I'd be interested but I'm yet to try a pair that looks good on me.

All my shorter friends look great in them, very stylish and not a hint of children's TV.

Runningforfood Sat 23-May-20 09:17:00

@Starfish83 @BuffaloCauliflower @EyeDrops and others with Lucy and Yaks- how did you find they came up size wise and fit wise? I’m quite short and ordered 28’ length but a little nervous of ankle swinging-too tightness 🙈

timetest Sat 23-May-20 09:18:33

I love them but I’m not entirely sure they suit me, so I don’t wear them in public. If I was a few inches taller I’d have them on all the time.

Spudlet Sat 23-May-20 09:20:11

I’ve got an oversized denim pair, I love them. They originally had ripped knees but the rips turned into big holes eventually, so I patched them with some contrasting denim and reinforced the patches with

ThePlantsitter Sat 23-May-20 09:21:47

I look like a sausage in a harness when I try dungarees but I love them on other people.

PeppermintPasty Sat 23-May-20 09:22:35

I’m 51 and I wear them. Seriously, wear what you like, wear what makes you happy.

Besom Sat 23-May-20 09:24:01

Redrec I have a 12 yr old dd who has recently begun to judge my fasion choices. Just makes me want to do it more!

Spudlet Sat 23-May-20 09:24:49

Bugger, hit post too soon. I reinforced the patches with sashiko-style embroidery. I wear them with t-shirts underneath, or maybe a vest top when it’s warm, and normally with my flip flops at home or my canvas trainers (not Converse but that sort of thing) out. They also have a couple of paint splatters on them as I often wear them to garden or do DIY projects. They have such huge pockets 😍

They’re probably not great for making me look slimmer but I don’t think fashion always has to be all about looking skinny. (Actually DH says I remind him of his pregnant primary school teacher, although he maintains this is down the dungarees being associated with maternity clothes for him, not that I look pregnant hmm. But sod it, they’re comfortable and they make me happy.

Besom Sat 23-May-20 09:25:56

Lily Tomlin wears them in 'Grace and Frankie" on Netflix and looks great in her 80s.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in