Talk

Advanced search

Add to my on line list of sites with lovely clothes pls

(30 Posts)
Alwaystwomagpies Sat 23-May-20 08:34:50

Have been perusing the on line and just nothing grabs me
Then I see all those Instagram adverts with really brilliant stylish dresses and outfits but know in reality they are crap material and random sizing and always disappoint
Where can I recreate those styles with decent products?

Arket
And other stories
Mango
Dancing leopard
Silk Fred
Never better dressed

Not keen on
Gap
Next
Dorothy Perkins
Wallis etc etc

Any other gems?

Thinkle Sat 23-May-20 13:34:39

Good start list!
Within John Lewis: some of the brands within “love&found” section, for example YAS; Kin; Modern Rarity
Uniqlo for their rayon work shirts, thick cotton boxy Ts and curved jeans and anything labelled oversized
Cos
Oliver Bonas
Wolf and Badger comes up a lot on my Facebook but it’s a front for smaller brands... interesting though

milienhaus Sat 23-May-20 16:58:18

Finery and Whistles.

FirmlyRooted Sat 23-May-20 18:14:47

Whistles and Baukjen is big on sustainability and organic materials

Zinnia Sat 23-May-20 18:36:29

YY to all PP comments above. Kitri, in the Whistles mould. Zalando for a wider range of some of the JL Loved & Found brands (some of those on Plumo also. Love Plumo but it is £££). Selected Femme, Just Female, Samsoe & Samsoe are my favourite Scandi brands on there. Sezane is the pick of the French bunch IMO.

Is SilkFred not one of those dodgy China-based brands on Instagram though? Always thought they were!

Nanasueathome Sat 23-May-20 18:39:08

Toast

Hairydilemma Sat 23-May-20 20:54:46

Forever Unique - bit hit and miss but the things that work are really lovely.

Alwaystwomagpies Sat 23-May-20 22:14:10

Ooh some great browsing ideas here thanks all.

PersonaNonGarter Sun 24-May-20 09:04:57

I like the French equivalentof Jigsaw/Whistles
for stylish slightly-hip basics Comptoir des Cotonniers and also Rouje and Sezane for Parisian style.

Splodgetastic Sun 24-May-20 09:28:32

Peopletree. I know I always say that, but I love them! Not cheap, but have good ethical credentials. Seem to be more popular as parts of new collection have instantly sold out...

LaurieFairyCake Sun 24-May-20 09:37:28

Thought clothing
Lovely lovely clothes - ethical plus environmentally friendly fabrics - amazing sale section

typicallyatypical Sun 24-May-20 09:40:46

Never better dressed Do you mean Never Fully Dressed? If so, isn't that one one crappy sites like In the Style and Boohoo where the clothes look goon online but are actually synthetic sweatshop crap? Also, as PP said, Silk Fred is just another tat site.

Might be good to know your budget and general style; boho, minimal, classic? From the list you have that you like, apart from Arket, sounds like you like quite feminine, brightly coloured, floral dresses type thing? Arket has some of this but is much more edgy and minimal generally.

Ninkanink Sun 24-May-20 09:48:08

Depends on what price point you want and what your style is.

Hush
Boden (not their patterned stuff!)
White Company
Whistles
Jigsaw
Jaeger
Hobbs
Reiss
Toast

Alwaystwomagpies Sun 24-May-20 13:02:51

@typicallyatypical oh god no o am so far from flowery!

Whistles is probably closest to what I wear.
I only Listed those Other sites as I had a brief look and saw some basic joggers/cargo trousers. Swerved the dresses!

I hate next Monsoon coast and oasis type stuff.

I’ve seen some great stuff on the Facebook pop ups but I know they are crap and shipped miles.

I want comfy, day and casual wear but with a bit of an edge. Neutral colours, stripes or geometric if it has to have print. Not flowers.
Have a boyish figure so no tea dresses.

Used to love the style of all saints in the 90s if that helps grin

SisterVanHelsing Sun 24-May-20 13:04:33

Sezane is my favourite currently. Beautiful stuff, excellent quality, but you have to be quick, as new styles often sell out in minutes.

nitgel Sun 24-May-20 13:06:09

i like free people atm but it's costing me a bomb

HermioneWeasley Sun 24-May-20 13:12:12

Is silk Fred any good? I see lots of adverts and they have fabulous dresses, but I’ve been burnt by online shopping before

SoupDragon Sun 24-May-20 13:24:42

I like Esprit for the sheer variety of styles it has. It seems to cater for a range of tastes.

beautyqueenfrompluto Sun 24-May-20 13:29:01

Sezane and Olive clothing are my favourites at the moment.

SpringSpringTime Sun 24-May-20 13:32:53

Depends on your size and shape too-I cannot ship at Uniqlo-cut for japanese people, and I’m tall-but Scandi brands are fine!

I like:
Toast
Carrier Company
SK block print
Community Clothing

Hippy workwear basically.

SpringSpringTime Sun 24-May-20 13:48:54

To whoever mentioned Free People: i’d forgotten about them. My bank manager would like a word with you.

DianaT1969 Sun 24-May-20 13:51:48

Massimo Dutti? I haven't purchased from there, but I like their neutrals and silk shirts.

For those asking, SilkFred is a marketplace website. Lots of brands, so it is hit and miss on quality, sizing and customer service.

HundredMilesAnHour Sun 24-May-20 14:56:17

I like Palones, The Kooples, Arket and &Other Stories, plus Jigsaw for cashmere or silk (in the sale).

I also like Raeburn and Katharine Hamnett (both have impeccable green credentials) but tend to buy in their sales, or sample sales.

I buy a lot of vegan leather items from Nanushka (again, usually in the sale).

I get raw denim jeans from either Blackhorse Lane Ateliers or Huit Denim.

I'm not a fan of Silk Fred although I've had a couple of decent tops from them. Generally the quality isn't great and I find the styles just lack edginess most of the time.

I used to buy a lot from Comptoir des Cotonniers when I lived in Paris but I think they're massively overpriced these days and not value for money.

SpringSpringTime Mon 25-May-20 20:11:44

@SisterVanHelsing what’s the sizing like at Sezane? I’m usually a 10 but I think French sizing can be a bit smaller

Gorgeous stuff though, you’re right

OhCobblers Mon 25-May-20 20:15:54

I would add Me and Em to that list but very ££££ so I only buy in the sale!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »