Talk

Advanced search

lol at zara swastika bag!

(101 Posts)
Beenleigh Wed 19-Sep-07 13:29:26

zara bag

Twiglett Wed 19-Sep-07 13:31:05

shock I don't find that even vaguely amusing .. why LOL?

Twiglett Wed 19-Sep-07 13:31:31

its actually incredibly offensive

southeatsastras Wed 19-Sep-07 13:31:44

i know the swastika does represent something other than nazi germany, but you would have thought they would have noticed. it's not exactly unclearly seen is it? on the news i was expecting to see something more hidden

cremolafoam Wed 19-Sep-07 13:32:03

fer cryin out loud

lulumama Wed 19-Sep-07 13:32:13

how vile and stupid

why LOL?

it is not like people don;t associate the swastika with Nazism, facism, hatred and genocide. it has not been anything else within living memory.

sadly, they are getting lots of publicity now

Yorkshirepudding Wed 19-Sep-07 13:33:07

Message withdrawn

Beenleigh Wed 19-Sep-07 13:34:05

it's a huge cock up, think it's funny because It's just so incompetent, and it's cost them a fortune! It's a symbol used a lot on vintage Indian embroideries, as it originally was a sign of good luck. I used to work for a high street company, and it nearly happened to us with a skirt we copied exactly from an antique skirt sourced from India, but luckily we noticed in time.

oliveoil Wed 19-Sep-07 13:34:45

this was on Sky this morning

iirc it is an Indian pattern (but I could be wrong)

oliveoil Wed 19-Sep-07 13:35:01

x posts

Heathcliffscathy Wed 19-Sep-07 13:37:58

it's not offensive at all, i expect the bag was made in a hindu country where you see swastikas all the time: they are a positive symbol there...iirc hitler changed the way round they are, so it is not the same symbol.

DarrellRivers Wed 19-Sep-07 13:38:38

It as an ancient ancient Sanskrit symbol ie used years before Nazism and represents well being.
Perfectly acceptable for an Indian embroidered bag

franke Wed 19-Sep-07 13:38:45

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika Here's quite a good description of it as an ancient symbol. Agree, though, absolutely incompetent of Zara.

belgo Wed 19-Sep-07 13:39:49

what's funny is that she bought it without noticing the swastikas.

Beenleigh Wed 19-Sep-07 13:40:11

but it's really not perfectly acceptable for a bag is it! That's the point, that's why they had to withdraw it. It may be acceptable in India, but this symbol has different connotations here, and none of them are acceptable.

TellusMater Wed 19-Sep-07 13:40:18

We were given an Indian wall hanging with swastikas on it. I covered them over with bits of lace...

lulumama Wed 19-Sep-07 13:41:17

i don;t agree that it is acceptable adornment for an Indian bag, it's origional, peaceful meaning has been absolutely, and utterly destroyed and it means something totally different now.

Beenleigh Wed 19-Sep-07 13:41:43

Belgo, the skirt we nearly sold was beautiful, and it was absolutely covered in them, and I swear not one person noticed until the garment had been knocking around for well over a week, and someone who had never seen it before pointed them out!

DarrellRivers Wed 19-Sep-07 13:41:53

I disagree
I understand why Zara had to withdraw it however

Bessie123 Wed 19-Sep-07 13:42:57

sophable and darrellrivers, I think you are missing the very obvious point that the bag is on sale in Europe, where the swastika is best known as a Nazi symbol. It is not 'perfectly acceptable' at all.

Beenleigh Wed 19-Sep-07 13:43:05

how can you disagree and understand why they had to withdraw it at the same time?! 'hmm

DarrellRivers Wed 19-Sep-07 13:43:17

To my Dh is still means peace.I think it depends on the context, and the context is not entirely black and white, ie embroidered bag

Twiglett Wed 19-Sep-07 13:43:31

In the eastern world it may not be offensive

in the western world it patently is

Beenleigh Wed 19-Sep-07 13:44:15

then, DR tell me why you think Zara withdrew it

DarrellRivers Wed 19-Sep-07 13:45:04

Well look at the uproar it's caused.
They've had their publicity and now are reacting to the mass reaction which I understand.
However I can understand how it was embroidered on the bag in the first place ie in the spirit of well being, however in Europe it has been interpreted in a different context

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now