Talk

Advanced search

What can I do about my purpleness?

(6 Posts)
Hoolajerry Sat 16-May-20 13:14:54

I am 41. I am pale skinned. Not pale and interesting but pale in a grey, blotchy kind of way. If I get the slightest bit cold I turn purple which seems to be getting much worse as I get older. This is not an exaggeration (see attached photo), it is worse on my extremities. I hardly ever wear shorts as I hate my legs so much. I really want to be able to go outside with bare legs and not feel so self-conscious. I am currently using Isle of paradise fake tan. The photo attached is after three applications so you can see that it just doesn't seem to take (except for under my knees and on my feet). Is there anything else I can do to solve this or any other products which would take away the purple hue. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
LockdownLyra Sat 16-May-20 13:24:52

Ok, I’m trying to think of why your fake tan is not adhering. I think there are a few reasons this can happen
1. If your skin is too dry it will adhere to the dry bits, so that’s probably what is happening to your knees
2. If your skin is too moisturised also it has nothing to adhere too, are you moisturising before or using anything that can leave a film?
3. If your skin is too damp. Make sure you wait long enough after a shower to apply, if you apply to still soft skin it will rub straight off
4. Are you leaving it long enough to sink in after applying tan? Is it rubbing off on your clothes/sheets?

Hoolajerry Sat 16-May-20 14:11:26

It just never seems to take properly except on my feet. My upper legs generally do get better coverage than the lower ones but I never get an even cover. I think it is because I am so pale. I have been exfoliating and moisturising a lot more to see if it makes a difference.

OP’s posts: |
LockdownLyra Sat 16-May-20 15:49:23

Try not moisturising for a while before, see if that helps. I get the same problem, I like Skinny Tan oil, I think because it’s oil it sinks in better so you could try that, or try mixing the drops with oil?

Alternatively there are plenty of wash off tans, I like Rimmel but Sally Hansen gets a lot of love on here too.

Lidlfix Sat 16-May-20 17:12:31

My legs are similar and my feet even more purple. The skin on my shins is so thin it's shiny .

What works for me is the dark San Tropez in shower . The light gave a nice glow to everywhere except my legs. It's a shivery three minutes but the application to wet skin seems to make a difference.

Once I achieve a colour I switch to Garnier Summer body light. The isles of paradise did nothing to my legs too, nice gentle glow everywhere else though.

TerrorWig Sat 16-May-20 20:05:06

I like Body Shop leg mist. It's not a fake tan so it doesn't smell and washes off (although not like makeup - you won't run in the rain!). Because it washes off you don't need to worry about it collecting and looking splotchy after a week or so.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in