Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Pros and cons of shopping long hair to a bob?

(33 Posts)
Blossomhill Tue 18-Sep-07 16:27:39

Am seriously toying with the idea. have long hair down to bra strap but fed up with it. On the other hand having that much chopped off worries me.
I just feel like my hair hangs and getting sick of it.
Thanks

DrNortherner Tue 18-Sep-07 16:33:50

Does your long hair have a style? Do you ahve a fringe? Layers? A nice colour?

How old are you?

Blossomhill Tue 18-Sep-07 17:31:37

Not really. I have it layered, no fringe. Usually dark brown but do have colours put in. Am 32.
I could try and put a pic up temporarily maybe?

hanaflower Tue 18-Sep-07 17:35:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blossomhill Tue 18-Sep-07 17:46:16

Will upload a pic for a few mins to see what people think...

Blossomhill Tue 18-Sep-07 17:46:45

hanaflower ~ sounding more postives to me, thanks that was very helpful

hanaflower Tue 18-Sep-07 17:53:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SlightlyMadSweden Tue 18-Sep-07 17:54:27

I love it.

What convinced me to go for it was when I put a T shirt on and my hair 'stayed inside' and it gave the illusion of having a longish bob IYSWIM.

Agree with hanaflowers pros & cons. Also since I have had mine done everyone says how glossy it looks (as a consequence of being in a much much better condition.

Also another con (if you are anything like me) - I used to get my hair cut every 12-18m shock. NOw it is a bob it will need cutting more often (3-4m I guess)

Blossomhill Tue 18-Sep-07 17:55:34

Really weird created a profile and it hasn't come up....

Blossomhill Tue 18-Sep-07 17:59:56

Northener ~ for some reason no yellow envelope but have put up a picture to show what my hair is like atm, click on my nickname and it comes up
Honest opinions please....

Tottie32 Tue 18-Sep-07 18:03:46

you need to change it to public.. so we can view

Blossomhill Tue 18-Sep-07 18:14:54

Changed it but not for long

Nbg Tue 18-Sep-07 18:18:27

Oooh your very pretty BH.

I had hair your length and I had it all chopped off earlier this year to an original "pob".
Then a few weeks ago a friend hairdresser of mine did the new "pob" on me and I absolutely love it.

It takes me 10 mins now to dry and style it with straightners, its not in my way, I'm not getting child gunk in it and it looks marvellous! grin

I still have days where I think "Oh I wish I had long hair again" but in reality it would be stupid to. Takes too long to faff with.

Just do it grin

LadySanders Tue 18-Sep-07 18:24:04

my hair looks almost exactly like yours and i've been wondering the same thing... i'm thinking i might go to collar bone length first and see if that's scary before committing to a proper above the shoulders bob!

lilacclaire Tue 18-Sep-07 18:26:56

I got my hair chopped about 2 years ago and I love it. I look loads younger (i think) and much more stylish. My pictures rubbish but its quite a funky style with short layers just below my jaw. I love it much more than having long hair and much easier to maintain.

Blossomhill Tue 18-Sep-07 18:28:21

Aww thanks nbg. Not liking the cheesy grin though grin
My hair is very thick and I am wondering if it would be harder to keep it smooth the shorter it is (if that makes sense?)

pooka Tue 18-Sep-07 18:29:44

I too have lookey likey hair. Same colour and similar length. Also have been dithering. But I am pleased that I can tie mine back, is absolutely zero maintenance. And think sort of suts me. Every now and then I have it cut to just below the shoulders, and that's great, still tie-backable and still zilch on the maintenance front.

lilacclaire Tue 18-Sep-07 18:30:51

Hey blossom my hair is sooo thick as well, I use ghds on it to keep it under control, it also is very curly although I straighten it every day. My hairdresser thins it out for me, it does need regular cut every 6 weeks or so, but its so worth it.

SueW Tue 18-Sep-07 18:33:16

The only con for going from long to bob is that you can't put it up if you go to a posh frock do.

I don't go to many. grin

I have gone from long to bob to long to bob with/without fringe, with/without layers since I was about 15yo.

You will look gorgeous with a bob and you will never feel that your hair hangs, and will love the swish as you turn your head from side to side.

I am going to the hairdresser tomorrow for a cut and first colour/foils in about 3 years.

newgirl Tue 18-Sep-07 18:34:16

maybe go to shoulder length for an easy transition? i havent seen your profile but i think less weight in the hair makes it seem bouncier on top etc

SofiaAmes Tue 18-Sep-07 18:35:35

I went from long hair to a bob about 20 years ago. I was very happy with it until I had kids. Then I let the bob grow a little longer so that it could be put back in a pony tail and I'm very happy with that. I get it cut twice !!! a year which is also very economical.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 18-Sep-07 18:38:33

have it cut gradually, ie. a shoulder length bob,with enough to put up if you want and see how that feels, then go further - that's what I'd do. Hair grows back pretty quickly - mine was cut v short a while ago and now I've forgotten what shape it was (actually prefer it like this in retrospect)

Nbg Tue 18-Sep-07 18:53:31

FWIW, my hair is very very thick and curly.
In fact my last hairdresser actually said
"I think I could sit and thin your hair all day" shock grin

Nothing that a pair of strightners cant handle.

Nbg Tue 18-Sep-07 18:54:09

I'll put pics on my profile if you want to see before and afters.

Nbg Tue 18-Sep-07 19:02:48

In fact I have grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: