Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What (chunky?) knitwear if size 16/18?

(12 Posts)
Quootiepie Tue 18-Sep-07 08:00:13

I always seem to look dumpy in knitwear, and everything seems to be chunky knit - what does a bigger person need to go for or avoid? Thanks x

fishie Tue 18-Sep-07 08:13:27

noo chunky knits. fine ones. i look dreadful in long cardies too, a terrible style for anyone who is not long and willowy.

i find any neckline which is straight looks good on me, so v neck good, scoop less so. i got a nice fine knit long purple boatneck jumper for £6 in sainsbury (classy!) a coupel fo weeks ago so there are things out there.

Quootiepie Tue 18-Sep-07 09:56:02

aww, I liked the look of the chunky knits. And no long length? They hide my belly! blush Good job I have MN!

brimfull Tue 18-Sep-07 10:13:57

I think if you are fairly tall you could get away with it.

I'm 5ft4 so I look dumpy in chunky knitwear.
Pauline Fowler like.Not a good look.

Quootiepie Tue 18-Sep-07 10:27:29

er, no, I am 5'2"

MrsBadger Tue 18-Sep-07 10:35:09

fishie is right
fine knits only
you can do a little bit long, empire tunic types thus to hide tummy, but not dressing-gown-like long cardies, and esp nothing with a tie waist

Quootiepie Tue 18-Sep-07 10:39:01

no tie waists? I thought they were slimming? Argh!

MrsBadger Tue 18-Sep-07 11:25:44

they are not slimming if you haul the belt in and bulge out like a sack of spuds above and below (not suggesting you do, btw, just that one needs to go carefully)
better a structured jacket with a nipped-in waist

rantinghousewife Tue 18-Sep-07 11:27:24

Ohh agree, do not do chunky knitwear. It just makes anyone over a size 8 look like Chewbacca!

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 18-Sep-07 11:29:18

yes, agree with fine knits here -and if they are quite sheer then you could layer some things...

Pannacotta Tue 18-Sep-07 13:36:28

CHunky knitwear is never flattering not even if you are teensy IMHO!

Quootiepie Tue 18-Sep-07 16:56:49

Oh, alright - no chunky knits, no tie waisted or long jumpers... and layer. Hopefully I'll get it right!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: