Talk

Advanced search

Hyaluronic acid, Retinol or VitC

(39 Posts)
PeanutbutterJamSandwich Sat 02-May-20 16:06:16

Hi, I’m new to any sort of skincare routine so I don’t want to overwhelm myself or my skin with too many products, otherwise I won’t stick to a routine.

Atm I wash face in shower morn and eve then wear spf30 during the day.

At 36 the wrinkles and ageing skin is catching up with me! So I’m considering finding a better evening routine of a serum and then moisturiser. Then sticking to my spf in the morn.

But which serum? There’s so many ingredients I don’t know which is best!

Hyraluronic acid, retinol or Vit C?

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
RedFootGreen Sat 02-May-20 18:06:47

I would say use a retinol in the evening (not every night to start with) and then a hyaluronic acid in the AM.

TomTomRunner Sat 02-May-20 18:13:18

I would use vitamin c and hyralunic in the morning and retinol in the evening.

Lily193 Sat 02-May-20 18:21:12

Use all of them. Vitamin C and HA in the morning, retinol in the evening.

PeanutbutterJamSandwich Sat 02-May-20 19:47:14

It’s a lot of money to be splashing out so I wanted to start with one 1st. Just din’t know which!

SmallAndFarAway Sat 02-May-20 21:52:16

Doesn't have to be expensive - check out The Ordinary for retinol, Garden of Wisdom for vitamin C and The Ordinary/Hada Labo off eBay for hyaralunic acid. Vitamin C is where I'd spend most money, hyaralunic acid the least.

agteacht Sat 02-May-20 22:15:37

Hi could I just ask is the ordinary 5% granactive retinoid the same as a retinol?

LilyLolo81 Sat 02-May-20 22:19:02

I love the Inkey List retinol and vit c. I’ve been really impressed by the results on my skin so far!

strandedatthedrivein Sat 02-May-20 22:28:52

As PP suggested go on inkey and fill in the questionnaire to get an am/pm plan. I mix there products with the ordinary and I haven't bought ALL the suggestions!

Mainly vit c in the morning and caffeine for eyes and retinol in the evening.

It's a start for me after years of not taking my make off at night and just using face wash and a bit of moisturiser in the mornblush

strandedatthedrivein Sat 02-May-20 22:29:16

*their products

JessicaDay Sat 02-May-20 23:07:13

If you are having a bad skin day, what does that mean for you?

If you mean puffy, go for hyaluronic acid.
If you mean fine lines/wrinkles, go for retinol.
If you mean hyperpigmentation/sun damage, go for vitamin C ( but not if have rosacea).
If you mean breakouts go for salycylic acid.
If you mean scarring, go for glycolic acid.

As you say wrinkles/ageing it’s most likely retinol.

PeanutbutterJamSandwich Sun 03-May-20 08:59:49

Thank you, I’ve bought the ordinary vitc, Inkey retinol and clinique spf25 day cream

Alwaysthesun Sun 03-May-20 09:24:18

Be careful with vitamin C, it can sting and be a bit irritating. My skin really doesn't like it. I use a low percentage retinol in the evening.

AnneLovesGilbert Sun 03-May-20 10:12:29

Such a helpful thread! I hadn’t heard of Inkey but it looks brilliant and I’m trying to stop myself putting in a mega order...

thethoughtfox Sun 03-May-20 10:22:42

All of the above

PeanutbutterJamSandwich Sun 03-May-20 18:11:27

Thank you @Alwaysthesun, I’ll keep that in mind x

PeanutbutterJamSandwich Sun 03-May-20 18:12:20

I’m glad you find it helpful @AnneLovesGilbert, it’s an absolute minefield!

Dingdongthewitchisbread Mon 04-May-20 07:24:29

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, this post is so helpful!

@strandedatthedrivein do have you a recommendation for the caffeine eye cream? Pregnancy and a toddler my eyes bags are so prominent right now!

strandedatthedrivein Mon 04-May-20 07:32:52

@dingdong me too! I've got The ordinary caffeine solution, doesn't break the bank either which is a bonus grin

Fromthebirdsnest Mon 04-May-20 11:24:25

Drunk elephant do amazing skin care .. I use retinol 3 times a week & but c most days x

MabelMoo23 Mon 04-May-20 13:23:58

Thanks for the recommendation - have just ordered Inkey list retinol. Never tried them before so seems a good place to start!

Isbutteracarb Mon 04-May-20 13:33:58

Sorry to hijack your post OP but can anyone recommend a good alternative to retinol? Looking for an anti-ageing night serum but can't use retinol as I'm BF.

Also, OP I just bought the Glossier vitamin C serum - it does sting a tiny bit but absorbs quickly and leaves a nice glow!

MabelMoo23 Mon 04-May-20 15:55:33

I'm breastfeeding as well, but a GP friend of mine said the amount in topical retinol is v low and is relatively safe for bf. There are lots of articles about it. Pregnancy obviously is different

I am bf a toddler though rather then a newborn so it's a personal chiice

Isbutteracarb Mon 04-May-20 19:44:23

That's good to know @MabelMoo23 thank you!

GreenShadow Mon 04-May-20 19:45:15

Do people actually find retinol (and other products) work?

I took part in a product test not so long ago when I was sent a large pot of retinol to test and report back. The test lasted a month (building up slowly) and I could see no change after that relatively short time.
I carried on using the free sample afterwards for several months (it was a big pot) but only on one side of my face. Despite using it religiously for all that time I couldn't make out any difference between right and left side of face. I was very disappointed as I'd have loved to find a wonder cure for ageing!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in