Talk

Advanced search

How long would you expect an unopened moisturiser to last?

(11 Posts)
Elloello Thu 30-Apr-20 00:47:11

I opened a moisturiser which has been stored in the box, away from direct sunlight and it just smells not quite right.
How long a period would you say is reasonable to have a facial moisturiser stored unopened (little foil seal) before it goes off?

OP’s posts: |
CandyMan10 Thu 30-Apr-20 07:56:05

Once open 6 to 12 months.

CandyMan10 Thu 30-Apr-20 07:57:29

Unopened usually 24M from production

FabulouslyElegantTits Thu 30-Apr-20 07:58:48

Is it Liz Earle? I think there moisturiser always smells 'off' which is mad as their range usually smells beautiful.

FabulouslyElegantTits Thu 30-Apr-20 07:59:03

*their

littlemissminor Thu 30-Apr-20 08:01:43

me too @FabulouslyElegantTits! I think it smells like playdoh blush

Reginabambina Thu 30-Apr-20 08:05:58

They should have an expiry date printed on the packaging and also a use once open period (usually inside a little picture of an open jar).

TheCanterburyWhales Thu 30-Apr-20 08:24:03

Some just smell weird. I sent an Occitane divine back when it first came out because it smelled like a dirty dishcloth. They sent me another which smelled like a dirty dishcloth. They've toned ilyhe fragrance down now and I actually like it, but they do describe it as "herbal and fresh" which is pushing it a bit.

Rhubarbisevil Thu 30-Apr-20 08:30:12

I understand your comments OP. Is this a moisturiser that you’ve used before, hence why you can tell that the smell is “off”?

I bought some La Roche Posay spf 50 face cream and used it last week. My face has never been so brown - a bit burned, in fact, which makes me question whether the product was old on the shelf before it was even opened. I’ve managed to have summer holidays in the southern Mediterranean without burning so I do have a benchmark.

Out of interest, which brand is it?

MikeUniformMike Thu 30-Apr-20 08:37:31

It depends on the ingredients.

Elloello Thu 30-Apr-20 18:33:54

Dermalex rosacea treatment. Expiry date on box actually which is 06/2021. And unopened as I had to remove the foil tab from the opening.
Dirty dishcloth isn't far off a good description. Actually quite like plasticine.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in