Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a new summer bathrobe

(36 Posts)
VenusClapTrap Tue 21-Apr-20 19:49:00

My fluffy bathrobe is too warm now. I need a new lightweight one for the summer months, but can’t find anything I like, except on ridiculously expensive boutique websites on which they cost £300 upwards. 🙄

I’m looking for one that is lightweight but not too lightweight - I’ve already got silk and georgette type ones which I don’t use except on holiday, because they just feel cold when I put them on and I don’t like that.

So something soft and cosy without being thick and hot.

White is no good because it will live in the wash.

I like to trundle out to the greenhouse first thing to open the doors and move out the seedlings I’m hardening off. Unfortunately there is a gap in the hedge at the moment where a tree was removed - baby hedgelings have been planted to fill the gap but they are still sparse. Before lockdown this didn’t matter, as I didn’t care if the odd speeding motorist got a flash of me in my tatty old bathrobe, but now instead of cars it’s all neighbours and acquaintances walking past on their morning constitutionals, and they’re all looking for a chat (from a safe distance obvs). So, I’d like my new bathrobe to be a) not risqué and b) stylish would be good!

I await your suggestions! Go!

OP’s posts: |
Gwenhwyfar Tue 21-Apr-20 19:54:55

Not a bath robe, but a dressing gown the older spy woman was wearing on Killing Eve was really beautiful. Probably too beautiful to be a dressing gown actually.

homemadecommunistrussia Tue 21-Apr-20 19:55:12

waffly?

VenusClapTrap Tue 21-Apr-20 20:06:24

I like the sound of the beautiful Killing Eve dressing gown. What did it look like?

Waffle should be the answer, as it ticks all my boxes - except I have an irrational dislike of it. I wish I knew why. I’ve tried to overcome it.

Bananasandchocolatecustard Tue 21-Apr-20 22:09:26

Try Cyberjamies, they have a warmth rating. The postage is free. I saw one which out of stock in JL, but in stock at Cyberjamies. There is also a sale on at the moment. Most of the dressing gowns are cotton.

Almahart Wed 22-Apr-20 08:18:32

Look at Caro London. Beautiful cotton dressing gowns and pyjamas. Not too ££

MadgeMak Wed 22-Apr-20 09:11:44

H&M have some nice washed linen dressing gowns on their website, in various colours, which are reasonably priced.

BringMeTea Wed 22-Apr-20 09:38:31

The hm ones are good. I got one in Australia before they landed here so not certain on the linen quality of European one. Bigger budget I would look at Toast. Lovely quality.

VenusClapTrap Wed 22-Apr-20 10:23:27

Thanks all. I like the Toast ones, and they look like slightly thicker, more substantial cotton which is what I’m looking for.

thedevilinablackdress Wed 22-Apr-20 10:29:39

I second H&M. Got a lovely linen/cotton mix one a couple of years ago. Good quality, will last well I think.

VenusClapTrap Wed 22-Apr-20 10:33:30

Ooh now I’ve spotted their Kantha gowns - I love those! £235 though 😬 That’s a bit steep for a dressing gown. I do tend to keep them for twenty years though... can I persuade myself it’s an ‘investment piece?!’

VenusClapTrap Wed 22-Apr-20 10:34:43

Yes the H&M ones look like amazing value. Are they a bit thin though? Would they be decent for chatting to neighbours over the hedge purposes?

MadgeMak Wed 22-Apr-20 10:40:40

Not sure as I don't have the linen ones. I do have a cotton H&M one that I bought last year, it is a bit flimsy but not see through, I'd imagine the linen ones would be a bit thicker so might be ok.

Time40 Wed 22-Apr-20 10:49:21

Do you like a vintage look OP? You could get a vintage man's dressing-gown in rayon - vintage rayon is THE most lovely, comfortable fabric, and quite a bit warmer than cotton. It tends to be very good quality, too, and lasts forever. A company called Tootal made loads of them. I LOVE my vintage dressing-gowns for the summer. Just make sure of the fabric, because they also made them in polyester. (My theory is that there is absolutely no point in women's dressing-gowns, because they are too skimpy to be comfortable - has to be a man's, every time.)

BringMeTea Wed 22-Apr-20 10:52:20

My hm one is not thin. My Toast one is definitely better quality. So.... an investment piece certainly. grin

VenusClapTrap Wed 22-Apr-20 11:19:46

I’m not averse to a bit of vintage. And I can quite believe that men’s are more well made than women’s! But I’m quite petite so they could drown me; I hate arms that are too long. I need to look at the measurements.

Ohjustboreoff Wed 22-Apr-20 11:27:14

I've been eyeing up some Turkish Bathrobes. I quite like this one.

https://etsy.me/2VNEMbz

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 22-Apr-20 15:44:31

Venus have a look on "One Hundred Stars" some beautiful items on there .

VenusClapTrap Wed 22-Apr-20 16:44:07

Yes, I saw them recommended on another thread - I want everything on there! Beautiful. But the robes look a bit too thin. I already have one that’s wafty and thin; I need something that is more substantial without being hot.

I have put an apron and a beach coverup in my basket though 😬

ImperfectTents Wed 22-Apr-20 16:54:24

I have a toast one I got in the sale years ago, really lovely. If you can hang on wait for a sale

ImperfectTents Wed 22-Apr-20 16:58:15

Or check out eBay

BrightonBB Wed 22-Apr-20 23:46:09

Cyber jammies look good in the website - never heard of them before - has anyone tried them? Thank you

AmethystMoonShine Thu 23-Apr-20 01:32:43

Toast, beautifully cut, think quality cotton. Lovely fabric patterns... wait for the sales. Shame as you’ve just missed 40-50 percent sale which had gowns including the gorgeous Kantha gowns made from old saris. I’ve got two of their gowns but still covet a Kantha one... in blues or greens grin

Mintjulia Thu 23-Apr-20 01:49:19

Yes, my Cyberjammies dressing gown is lovely, except it’s 8 years old now and needs replacing. Not see through, with the extra tie inside to make sure it doesn’t gape and just heavy enough for summer gardens.

SeaRabbit Thu 23-Apr-20 02:12:52

Hanro?

https://www.hanro.co.uk/collections/robes-for-women

I have had one of their Swiss cotton summer robes for over 25 years.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in