Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

lilylolo/mineral make up experts - advise me please!

(16 Posts)
Sheherazadethegoat Thu 13-Sep-07 10:04:29

Hi, just got my sample pots and feel about 10 years younger! definitely going to order teh foundation and blusher but is the finishing powder and cover up worth it? am tempted but feel i am getting carried away.

missbumpy Thu 13-Sep-07 10:18:56

It's great isn't it? I'm glad I'm not the only convert out there. I'm tempted to buy pots for all of my friends and female relatives!

Why don't you order some samples and see whether you like them before you invest?

I ordered the full size foundation, a kabuki brush, and some tester powders, blushers, and concealer.

I really didn't like the concealer (too dry/chalky/hard to blend) or the blusher (really shiny and metallic) but I quite liked the 'flawless skin' powder. I'm not sure I can be bothered ordering a full size one though because I find the mineral foundation is fine on its own. The powder just gives a slightly more sheeny, glowy look.

Sheherazadethegoat Thu 13-Sep-07 10:22:18

i have the sample pots. just worried about over enthusiasm. which blusher did you try? i have the rosy apple one which is too rosy for my liking.

i should probably use the samples for a few days before commiting.

Piffle Thu 13-Sep-07 10:22:56

YESSSSSSSS the flawless finish is like airbrushing
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheherazadethegoat Thu 13-Sep-07 10:25:41

i know piffle i am amazed - but lets be clear i have had it on 5 mins and am a loon when it comes to jumping the gun i will wait a few days - no really.

missbumpy Thu 13-Sep-07 10:33:57

I think I had rosy apple too. And another one which was more pink and less brown. Both were just way too shiny for my liking. I'm just using a normal blusher.

Maybe we should start our own Lily Lolo appreciation club grin.

I think I waited a couple of days too before I gave in and ordered a full size pot. I just wanted to check it looked ok in different lights and to see how well it lasted throughout the day. The answer was it looks brilliant in daylight and at night and it lasts the whole day until I take it off at night. Also, I reckon my skin's looked a lot better since I've been using it.

Yet another bonus is my make up bag is looking a lot lighter...I can chuck out all of my old concealers, foundations and powders!

Sheherazadethegoat Thu 13-Sep-07 10:39:54

omg mb you are fueling my crazed desire!

Piffle Thu 13-Sep-07 10:40:06

I said that 2 mths ago too
Now I will not buy or wear anything else
And my bag was full of Nars stuff, Chanle foundations and all sorts of hi tech expensive make up
Tis superb stuff

Sheherazadethegoat Thu 13-Sep-07 10:42:58

did you buy any of the brushes?

missbumpy Thu 13-Sep-07 10:48:06

I just got the kabuki brush. A bit pricy at £14 but it's worth it I reckon. I tried the testers using a big bronzer/powder brush but I definitely got a better result with the kabuki brush.

zeebee Thu 13-Sep-07 11:19:12

Am tempted by this reports of miracles but totally befuddled by the choice! Can you experts advise what I need/should buy? I have dryish, fair skin if that matters. TIA

missbumpy Thu 13-Sep-07 11:54:52

zeebee, just try ordering a couple of different sample sizes. I've got fair skin too and I ordered 'blondie' and 'porcelain'. Porcelain was super pale and made me look like a ghost but blondie was spot on. Try a few different ones and see how you go.

Just use your usual moisturiser and make sure you give it time to soak in before you apply the powder.

Earthymama Thu 13-Sep-07 12:03:09

So run through how you use it properly please.

I've got the samples but haven't had time to play with it properly and would appreciate your advice.

With all the stress I've been under lately, I need all the help I can get!!

My daughter has really sensitive skin, has anyone who is the same know how it reacts?

It seems so luxurious I'd love to treat her.

missbumpy Thu 13-Sep-07 12:13:25

I just shake a bit out of the pot (easier to do with the full size pots than the testers which are a bit small), swirl the brush around in it and tap off any excess so you don't end up with too much, then swirl it onto your face. Start off lightly and then you can always add a bit more on problem areas.

I've got really sensitive skin (even more so now I'm pregnant) and it's worked really well on me. I'd say my skin's better now I'm using the mineral foundation than it was when I was using Clarins liquid foundation. It's very gentle and has far less additives, preservatives, fragrance etc than usual foundations.

SpongebobControlpants Thu 13-Sep-07 13:00:42

It's really easy to mix the shades together too, which is a real bonus for me. I also found porcelain to be too pale (didn't think there was anything too pale for me!) but mixed a bit of blondie and candy cane in and that was much better.

Plus, you can have a summer and winter mix too (jeez, how poncy is that?!)

missbumpy Thu 13-Sep-07 14:25:01

I like your thinking spongebob. Maybe I'll add some of my porcelain (I didn't think there was such a thing as "too pale" for me either!) into my Blondie in the winter.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: