Talk

Advanced search

How to dye grey hair!

(6 Posts)
Spacecadet43 Fri 03-Apr-20 19:53:53

Help! I’m looking for advice. Obviously we are all trapped indoors at the moment and can’t get to hairdressers, but I’ve been growing my grey hair out for 18 months and for the last few months I’ve realised I’m not ready (I’m 46) and it doesn’t suit me particularly. I’m too old for it to have the cool edgy look I was hoping for - I just look much older. Anyway I’ve looked at dyeing it. I’ve just bought a josh wood home dye kit and have done a strand test and it’s gone brown. I’m fully my natural colour now having had a pixie cut in and let it grown to the long bob it’s in now. The problem is it’s very silver at the front then grey thru the lengths and almost black underneath. It was naturally dark brown previously. I wondered whether there is anything I can do at home to change the colour? I don’t want to go back to dark brown box dye as it used to irritate me. Any idea how easy it would be to go blonde at home? Sorry for long post!

OP’s posts: |
earsup Sat 04-Apr-20 01:18:36

Grey hair is quite resistant to colours so leave on for longer or do it twice to get even colour..

SummersMahoosiveClipOnFringe Sat 04-Apr-20 03:07:32

Going blonde won't be easy. The dark bits won't lift much with a standard dye and will probably go really brassy and the grey/white might be really resistant.I think you are looking at a two stage process if blonde is your goal- first bleach to a pale yellow colour and then a dye to tone. The upkeep will be a faff too.

I would go back to something near your natural tone but 1-2 shades lighter. Add some gold or warmth in too or it could look really flat.

Otherwise leave it be and invest in new makeup to lift things a bit.

SummersMahoosiveClipOnFringe Sat 04-Apr-20 03:09:08

Red lipstick can work wonders....

Spacecadet43 Sat 04-Apr-20 16:35:17

Thanks for that - is it possible to bleach it?

Spacecadet43 Sat 04-Apr-20 16:56:34

Sorry @SummersMahoosiveClipOnFringe I’ve just seen your posts! Thanks for that will have a think. I wouldn’t have such a problem with it only it’s so uneven with so many patches of colour in it hmm

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in