Talk

Advanced search

Can I dye my hair from orange to red to purple

(7 Posts)
LynnAnneBenfield Tue 31-Mar-20 17:49:22

So I have black hair, I usually dye it with the colour xxl black blue colour, I know from experience that I can get it to a ginger orange with colour remover, I really want as bright as possible blue or purple hair but after doing some research on colour theory, both these colours on orangey brown will go greeny brown.

I don't really want to bleach my hair and even if I did I will only get it safely to a lighter orangey yellow.

So could I put a bright red dye on orange, making it red, then put a blue or purple on top of that to make it purple?

I think it's impossible to get it blue without starting off nearly white

Any product or colour theory help would be much appreciated

Thank you

OP’s posts: |
TorysSuckRevokeArticle50 Tue 31-Mar-20 17:52:24

If you want to neutralise a colour you need to use the opposite from the colour wheel.

So I think you'd be better going orange -> blue -> purple and avoiding the red.

Red is a bit of a sod to colour over or wash out it always shows through.

LynnAnneBenfield Tue 31-Mar-20 18:04:15

But if I put blue on orange it will just go muddy brown! I've done it before, that's why I thought of adding the red step in as red and blue makes purple?

I think it's pretty impossible to get from orange to blue without it going either green or brown although blue would be my ideal colour it just doesn't seem feasible

RockinHippy Tue 31-Mar-20 18:38:06

I've helped my daughter do exactly this Toys is correct x

LynnAnneBenfield Tue 31-Mar-20 19:23:04

I don't understand, everything I've read and what I've done before suggest that if I put blue on orange it will go green or brown! And that blue is basically impossible to get from orange,

Can you tell me what you used or some examples of what blue to use to make sure it comes out blue or purple, I don't even mind if it comes out teal! I'll try and find a picture of what I would like and what colour my hair goes when I remove colour if someone could maybe tell me in really basic steps because I'm struggling to get it! 🙈😂

The pics attached are not my hair, I can't find any from when I've removed colour before, but I would say it's a bit of a mix between these two colours, with maybe a bit more brassy red tones in it too

LynnAnneBenfield Tue 31-Mar-20 19:24:42

And this is the sort of colour I would like to achieve! Preferably blue but if that's not possible then purple

TorysSuckRevokeArticle50 Tue 31-Mar-20 20:05:01

The colour b4 shrinks the colour molecules so you can wash them away. The real trick to it is to rinse it like crazy, at least twice as long as you think you need to. If you don't rinse it well enough then it can re-oxidise and darken up so really really rinse it off.

Then you should leave your hair alone for at least 48 hours. If you put any colour on then the colour will be darker and muddier. Wash it with a clarifying shampoo again before dying it to make sure it's all completely off your hair.

To get to purple, if you use a blue dye that should tone out the orange then you put the purple over. To get to blue, you would really need to lift the colour with some bleach. You can mix it in with conditioner to do a bleach wash which is less dramatic.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in