Talk

Advanced search

Ginger to blonde!

(6 Posts)
GVmama Fri 27-Mar-20 19:50:24

I have dyed my hair with a box dye for years, my natural colour is strawberry blonde on top and auburn underneath.
I use an ash blonde, and leave it on for 15 extra minutes. I’ve had a couple of disasters but generally it works really well. It might be because my hair has lots of different tones naturally. I’ll try to find a non identifying picture to show you the end result.

zyxray Fri 27-Mar-20 07:35:20

You'd need to use the powdered bleach in a few goes maybe 3 which is why the risk of snapping happens. You need to deeply condition between, sleep with conditioner on. Then apply some (silver shampoo) purple toner, just for a few minutes or it will turn gray. It's tricky. Is the ginger your natural colour? You will prob have to spend some time with luminous yellow hair in between bleaches.

https://www.superdrug.com/Hair/Hair-Colourants/Bleach/Bblonde-Powder-Bleach-100g-Lightner/p/42315

Dingdongthewitchisbread Fri 27-Mar-20 06:52:36

I have lighter hair than you normally but it’s got the same ginger tone.

I’ve died my hair blonde for years and whilst I agree going to a salon will be better and is what I usually do, I did use home dye kits for years.

It’s very hard to get your exact desired effect from looking at the colour illustration on the box, I don’t think mine ever turned out the same. Not once in about 15 years.

I’m not a hairdresser and could be telling you a load of rubbish but I found the only way to get rid of the ginger tone to the hair was to use an ash blonde. I never wanted to go fully ash blonde though so I was very careful with the amount of time I left the product on for.

Barkingfuckingdogs Thu 26-Mar-20 07:51:46

I wouldn't do it at home. It takes a huge amount of skill to achieve this kind of blonde. You risk snapping it all off. I'd play around with toners but step away from the bleach!!

Guzzling Wed 25-Mar-20 19:55:35

My hair now and what I would like to be

OP’s posts: |
Guzzling Wed 25-Mar-20 19:50:46

Hello!

I've always wanted to dye my hair from a light ginger to a sort of honey blonde colour (I'll try and find pictures of my hair now and what I'm after) and figure being in lockdown for what I assume is going to be a couple of months is the right time to do it, especially if it goes wrong grin

Has anyone done this transformation? I'm confused as to whether I bleach and tone or if I can just put normal blonde dye on it!!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in