Talk

Advanced search

Help - hopeless at clothes shopping

(11 Posts)
jumpyjan Mon 10-Sep-07 15:33:55

Trying to make a list of clothes I need for an autumn/winter warderobe. I was pregnant last year and considerably thinner the year before so have no clothes that fit me!

I need some work outfits (smartish but not suits - perhaps nice dresses/skirts) and some casual stuff but can't find any jeans to fit me as inbetween a 12 & 14 in most shops. Also need shoes/boots.

Been shopping several times but always come back empty handed. Only £300ish budget so can't go too mad.

Any ideas?

Pannacotta Mon 10-Sep-07 16:44:25

You need MrsB's list of wardrobe essentials, am no good at this myself.
Would think a pair of good jeans is a must though, can you try Gap and get an assistant in there to help you?
Am in the same predicament as you so hope you will get some good advice...

jumpyjan Mon 10-Sep-07 17:39:23

Yes, thought I would start with jeans. Used to wear the long and lean ones from Gap but went in there the other day and assitants were v unhelpful - also notice they are all zip now and not buttons.

Been looking at the ones in Next catalogue but don't know which type to go for - skinny, bootleg, high rise etc - don't even know what colour - hopeless as I said.

Don't know whether its best to go for a 14 which are big so don't look all that flattering or 12 which are bit tight but I will hopefully shrink into them!

Am I the only one who finds clothes shopping really stressful?

Pannacotta Mon 10-Sep-07 19:12:54

Shopping post baby is definately stressful, you are tired, a different shape, no time, screaming baby in toe etc.
I would think the bigger size of jean would be more flattering, if you buy some which aren't too pricey you can get another pair in time and sell the larger pair on ebay. Seem to remember Long and Lean being pretty flattering, did you try these again?
Perhaps a wish list could include some nice colourful drapey tops from eg Top Shop/Dotty P/H&M and some smart knee high boots.
I find it very hard to find stuff so not too sure whereis best to look. If you order from Next you can always try things on at home with your other clothes and then send therm back if no good.

Pannacotta Mon 10-Sep-07 19:23:51

ALso forgot to mention, might be worth you going to a personal shopper at say Debenhams/John Lewis/House of Fraser, am planning on doing this when I can get a sitter for DS2. They all offer a free service and they will help you with clothes/shoes/boots, if you get lots of things in one go they should all work together which means loads more mileage from your wardrobe. HTH

jumpyjan Tue 11-Sep-07 09:43:16

Thanks Pannacotta. Yes thats what I need a load of clothes that can all work together as need to make the most of my budget.

I might order a load of stuff from Next and try at home - might be a bit less stressful that way.

Bouquetsofdynomite Tue 11-Sep-07 10:02:04

I would try George at Asda first (farm out baby on a Sunday)- they're cheap but well-made and v nice too.

How about long skirts with boots for winter? No need to worry about hairy legs then. But do factor in height of heels if nec.

Long columns of colour are flattering eg black long skirt/trousers and fitted black vest top under coloured cardi/jacket. Everyone thinks Trinny has longer legs than Susanna but she doesn't - she just wears heels, floorskimming trousers and matching tops.

Go for v-neck tops and cardis if you have a bust. A fitted jacket is always useful but try on and get a 2nd opinion before buying.

If jeans have any lycra/elastane content, buy smaller as they will stretch over time. Matalan do cheap jeans and are also open on Sundays.

leo1978 Tue 11-Sep-07 10:06:32

My list

1 good pair of jeans (bootleg most flattering cut I always think) - try Top Shop - they have a great pair at £40
1 good pair of black trousers
1 pair of black cords
Short sleeve, 3/4 length sleeve and long sleeve cotton tops/cardis in similar tones so can layer up and mix and match
2 going out tops - avoid prints/patterns
A girlish blouse/shirt

Shoes - good pair of flats, round toe heeled boots in black and brown. Trainers.

Hope this helpful. Ditto advice re personal shopper - Top shop Oxford St is great.

x

jumpyjan Tue 11-Sep-07 10:32:25

Thanks leo and boquet, this is really helpful. So far I have:

Boot cut jeans
Pair of smarter jeans
Trainers
2 x v neck tops
1 x roll neck top (my bust will go down soon as just stopped bf)this one
Pair of heeled ankle boots
Smart tunic type top in one colour
Dress for work i like this one
Skirt for work
Black long trousers for work/going out
Black cardigan this one but in black
Vest top for under cardi this one
Pair of heels (quite like mary jane's)
Blouse/shirt for work
Maybe save up again for a fitted jacket.

What do you think - hmmm might need bigger budget!

Any suggestions for stuff that fits the above descriptions gratefully received - particularly stuck on footware and tunic type top.

Is there anything else I should add?

Pannacotta Tue 11-Sep-07 13:38:20

For footwear why not try a shop which stocks lots of brands such as JOnes or Schuh? More likely to find sth that fist that way. Clarks has some good and nice looking boots/shoes at the mo.
I often find good tops at H&M, M&S also has lots of choice for tops.
From your list I'd say add a few more tops to make up lots of oiutfits with yoru bottoms halfs. Tops need washing daily whereas you can often wear skirts/trousers more than once before washing, so you will always need more tops than bottoms IYSWIM...

jumpyjan Tue 11-Sep-07 14:15:58

Thanks Pannacotta - yes prob do need more tops - I find tops easier to buy aswell, its bottoms that I struggle with.

Love Jones so might check out their website. I think I am going to do the whole lot online as if I go into town I will end up with the wrong thing. No decent departments stores to do the personal shopper thing near me either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now