Talk

Advanced search

Help fix my face

(31 Posts)
Jiggy16 Tue 17-Mar-20 23:35:00

Ok can I just start off by saying I know with everything going on at min this is really not a big deal but it's been really getting to me and I just want some help/advice. I'm 34 years old, young kids and the past number of months i have notice really bad lines on my face from my nose to my mouth - nasolobial lines? It's worse on one side. Plus my under eye lines. It's all I can see when I look in the mirror and I'm sure it's pretty obvious to others. My face just seems so saggy, its making me look older than I am and I just wanted to know if there's anything I can do about them? Will try to upload photos tho they didn't come out very clear. Any advice welcome. Thank you

OP’s posts: |
mnthrowaway202020 Wed 18-Mar-20 06:54:28

I don’t think you need to “fix” anything!

The most obvious thing that comes to mind is dermal filler, but that’s expensive, requires upkeep and is an extreme option. If you’re comfortable with the idea of filler, speak to an experienced doctor for a consultation. I think mid face filler would be a safer option than directly filling in the lines you don’t like.

Other options are skincare and diet - 6 months of a consistent routine should leave you with clearer/softer/glowing skin. Do you currently use eye creams?

Sontagsleere Wed 18-Mar-20 07:29:29

Retinol. Honestly and topical vit C and glycolic acid . Some great threads on S&B.

Franticbutterfly Wed 18-Mar-20 07:34:56

Try good Nutrition, water, collagen and hyaluronic acid tablets, a good multivitamin and if really desperate, Botox (around the mouth).

Buggedandconfused Wed 18-Mar-20 07:46:23

Start doing facial exercises - Carole Maggio Facercise is very good.

Mercurial123 Wed 18-Mar-20 08:47:51

I have the same issue. Noticed it when I was in my late 30s. I've been doing face exercises and using RetinA for the last five years and haven't seen an improvement. I've learnt to live with it. I don't want to go down the filler route.

JinglingHellsBells Wed 18-Mar-20 11:05:51

The only thing that will really work is fillers.

retinol is for wrinkles but doesn't work on sagging.

These need to be done by an expert- a doctor- and would set you back maybe £1K for the amount of filler needed.

Have a look at the website of the Cosmetic Skin Doctor- Dr Tracy Mountford.

JinglingHellsBells Wed 18-Mar-20 11:06:38

www.cosmeticskinclinic.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwYaJ0vCj6AIVxLTtCh2hvQ8LEAAYASAAEgJJhvD_BwE

JinglingHellsBells Wed 18-Mar-20 11:08:01

www.cosmeticskinclinic.com/treatments/dermal-fillers/

Before and afters

Sammi38 Wed 18-Mar-20 14:21:59

I’m looking into fillers.

Jiggy16 Thu 19-Mar-20 00:15:54

Thanks for all the responses so far. I was afraid my only option would be fillers, I'm quite nervous of any sort of procedure like that, not that I could afford it anyway!
I have been trying different things skincare wise but only really benefit is my skin feels a bit smoother. I'm still combination skin with breakouts, just now with horrible lines in my skin. I'm assuming theres no make up tricks that would hide it temporarily? I'm not great with make up but I suppose with the current situation I'll not be going out much anyway!
Trying to use retinol but it always causes my skin to peel and look crap even when I follow the use sparingly advice and I end up stopping it. Is it best to just try and power through?
Thanks again for ur help everyone.

Barkingfuckingdogs Thu 19-Mar-20 08:47:44

Your actual skin looks good to me. No spots, even texture, good pores. I can see the sagging tho that you're talking about. Have you lost weight? It looks like you've lost some plumpness and elasticity. Just hit it from all angles. Eat well - fish, avocados, eggs etc (if you can actually find any bloody eggs!). Retinol - buffer it if it's causing peeling. No impact exercises like running. At home microneeding. Fillers - that's the only thing that will actually work sorry. Mid face fillers. Hurts a bit but just about bearable and expensive and you are a bit young to be starting on that path but nothing else will replace the volume there I'm afraid.

FartnissEverbeans Fri 20-Mar-20 15:56:31

@JinglingHellsBells Some of those before and afters are amazing!

I want!!

browzingss Fri 20-Mar-20 18:13:57

What’s your current skincare routine?

As far as clever makeup tricks go, aim for a glowing foundation/glowing setting spray for a dewy finish (rather than matte).

Emphasise your cheeks with blusher and highlighter to add the illusion of round cheeks. Perhaps use a lip liner to ever so slightly go over your Cupid’s bow.

For under eyes, unfortunately this requires a bit more makeup - concealer and setting powder. It can be a faff if you’re not used to wearing a full face.

Jiggy16 Fri 20-Mar-20 20:40:10

I'm trying to get a good skincare routine. Currently use superdrug cloth cleanser, niacinamide, superdrug hydrating serum and cicablast balm. At night I switch between GOW vit c/liquid gold/ and trying tretinoin again, just struggle trying to get through rather peeling phase. Use it every 3 nights with the cicablast as a buffer. Still have dull combo skin with spots and large pores. Sounds silly but it's just been getting me down for quite a while.

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Fri 20-Mar-20 20:45:46

Your skin is lovely and fresh and from a nearly 50 year old I can tell it's 'young' skin. Try and enjoy it before it all goes tits up in about 15 yearswink

You don't need to fix anything, if you have fillers you'll end up with a pillow face which looks awful imo,it's just the shape of your face.

Smile,everyone looks better and feels better when they smile.

browzingss Fri 20-Mar-20 20:53:54

You know what, sometimes certain products can cause a reaction if they’re too harsh for your skin. Sometimes your skin can’t handle too many products at once, or too many new products at once.

I think strip it back to basics and just use the cleanser, serum and balm (and sunscreen). It seems like the niacinamide, GOW, liquid gold and tretinoin all essentially exfoliate your skin via acid, hence increasing your sensitivity. This can also be a cause of both dry and oily skin, so your products could be causing the combo skin. With virtually all of these products, you NEED to wear sunscreen too - are you?

I think for now, address the dryness/dullness first. Later when your skin is more normal/balanced, address the pores and breakouts.

Jiggy16 Fri 20-Mar-20 22:02:54

Ok thank you for the advice. Is there anything u think would be best for dull/dryness? I keep hoping to find my 'holy grail' product that lifts my skin but nothing yet. Yes sorry I meant say I use the biore aqua something 50 sunscreen that I read recommended on here.

mrspellingringo lol thanks, I'll try to look at the positives! I did for years get mistaken for a teen but I think it was the spotty face and hoodies. Haven't been mistaken for while now, tho still have the spotty face and wear hoodies, just got more wrinkles confused

OrganzaLopez Fri 20-Mar-20 23:09:47

Your skin itself is young but sagged prematurely as if you have lossed a lot of weight quickly. Fillers only real to work at this stage. Jig your budget around, you may find its affordable. I say this as someone who never thought could afford invisalign!

mintbiscuit Sat 21-Mar-20 07:31:15

What % tretinoin are you using? Ideally you would start at 0.025% or 0.05% and work up to 0.1%. You shouldn’t have to power through. Start twice a week and get to a point where you can use every other day. This will take months rather than weeks.

Try layering a watery hydrating toner under serum and moisturiser (the hada labo ones are great). I also use the cerave cream as moisturiser as ceramides strengthen skin barrier. Finally, Vaseline as a final layer to seal everything in at night is a miracle to stop the peeling and keep moisture in. Cheap too. It’s a myth it causes spots.

I would not be using anything else that has chemical exfoliating properties if using tret. That might include your vit c product if it’s formulated with low ph.

Buggedandconfused Sat 21-Mar-20 11:54:54

It’s diet and drinking water that will give you better skin too. Salmon is fantastic, lots of fruit etc

TherealLadyMiche Sat 21-Mar-20 21:44:48

Have you look at Nu Face - micro current to lift the face

Jiggy16 Sat 21-Mar-20 23:50:42

Thanks again for the advise and tips! I've been using retirides 0.025% every 3 days. Buffering it with the cicablast. Starting to peel on my nose and chin! I had lost some baby weight but that's prob a year ago now and I dont think i really put much baby weight on my face. I'll look into fillers but money is tight and will continue to become tighter with the current crisis. Plus I am pretty scared of anything like that, incase it makes me look worse! Thank u for the product recommendations. So I use a superdrug B essence water and one of their serums. Are there any other reasonably price products that anyone could recommend for dehydrated/dull/saggy skin?! I tried the ordinary hyaluronic acid before but didn't really see any improvements. Def going to try and get my diet a bit better.

browzingss Sun 22-Mar-20 00:02:05

Sorry but I don’t think now is the time to look for new holy grail products, I genuinely urge you to give your skin a break for a bit!

Buggedandconfused Sun 22-Mar-20 06:07:48

Why @browzingss ?
We need some self care at this time too. I’m sure OP is buying online!

OP, seriously, try facial yoga/exercises - especially now you may have a lot of time. They really do work.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in