Talk

Advanced search

Tilley hats - which one?!

(40 Posts)
dancingqueen1978 Sun 08-Mar-20 09:32:00

Morning all,

I’m after a hat that I can wear all year round for dog walks and hiking. A friend suggested a Tilley hat. Looking online they have amazing reviews and are a Canadian brand. You get a lifetime guarantee and can wash them and apparently they still look good.

I’ve been looking at them and am drawn to 3 styles. I don’t know of any local stockists so I’m trying to narrow choice. May I ask you lovely lot for your thoughts?! (Sorry I cant work out how to attach photos 🤦‍♀️).

The shortlist is:

Hyeto in yellow or navy: https://www.tilley.com/uk_en/tp102-the-hyeto.html

T3 wanderer in navy: https://www.tilley.com/uk_en/t3-wanderer-hat.html

OR

TH103 cotton bucket hat in yellow, red, navy or orange: https://www.tilley.com/uk_en/th103-cotton-bucket-hat.html

I can choose colour, just put that info there to give idea, but it’s more the style. Does anyone have a Tilley? Or any of the above styles? If you don’t have one what do you think? Honest feedback appreciated 😁

Thanks so much x

OP’s posts: |
dancingqueen1978 Sun 08-Mar-20 09:57:26

Ps I also really like the “buy once” philosophy. So although pricey maybe worth it in the long run x

Orchardgreen Sun 08-Mar-20 10:00:32

T3 Wanderer. And now I really want one!

dancingqueen1978 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:02:58

Ah thanks Orchardgreen! Lovely to have an endorsement from someone. I like that one and think it might be the “trendiest” out of the choices! Which colour would you go for?

Sooverthemill Sun 08-Mar-20 10:07:07

Definitely the wanderer. And I want one now too!

RuudGullitOnAShed Sun 08-Mar-20 10:07:48

I have a three - a T3 (neutral) and folding one and (navy) another one (olive - might be called airflow - it has mesh panels in it)

They are all about twenty years old, have been used extensively and look like new.

I realise having three doesn’t fit with your buy one philosophy but I have very bad reactions to sunlight and use them extensively.

dancingqueen1978 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:12:18

Thanks Sooverthmill, looks like I’ve started something 🤣

dancingqueen1978 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:14:03

Thanks Ruudgullitonashed - amazing that you’ve had them for 20 years and still going! With the T3, can you squash it in a rucksack for hiking etc or does it need to be kept flat? X

dancingqueen1978 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:15:52

And totally get why you might have 3. I think we’re all becoming more aware of the dangers of too much sun. I’ve realised I’ve spent the last few years making sure parents and children are wearing adequate sun protection but not applying same rule to myself. It’s also a great endorsement of the brand that you have 3!

Orchardgreen Sun 08-Mar-20 15:01:07

I think I’d go for khaki. But navy is great.

Orchardgreen Sun 08-Mar-20 15:05:16

I’ve found a uk outlet.
www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=21801

I bloody want one now

Orchardgreen Sun 08-Mar-20 15:24:35

I’ve ordered an olive one 🙄

bluejayblue Sun 08-Mar-20 15:44:59

I've had tilley hats for about 15 years, they wear very well, and look even better as they get "worn in". They also float (I wear mine kayaking) , you will probably end up with several as the colours are great, enjoy.

dancingqueen1978 Sun 08-Mar-20 15:53:03

😂 love that you bought one! Olive is a great colour too! Is this your first Tilley?

This thread has helped me decide for sure in T3 wanderer but now I can’t decide which colour. My friend thinks navy might be too dark so now thinking dusty pink (but that’s quite girly 🤪). I’ll keep thinking 😁

dancingqueen1978 Sun 08-Mar-20 15:56:29

Bluejayblue - thanks for endorsement! There seems to be a lot of love for these hats 😁

TheQueef Sun 08-Mar-20 15:59:38

I have three, you don't stop at one grin

picklemewalnuts Sun 08-Mar-20 16:07:26

I get hot wearing a hat in the sun. Are these different?

picklemewalnuts Sun 08-Mar-20 16:08:07

I quite like that pink, and I'm not at all girly. I also like the light blue.

Knittedfairies Sun 08-Mar-20 16:21:39

I had my Tilley hat for 20 years or so, but the brim frayed. I emailed Tilley and asked them how to fix it. They sent me a new one, so their 'buy once' thing really works. I did explain that it was just down to wear and tear, and hadn't been through the digestive system of an elephant, or anything else terribly adventurous. All I had to do was send a photo of the inside of my 'old' hat, having written a capital R on the label - at their request. ( I did have to explain why I had written 'Not Yours! in black Sharpie where my name should have been written though... ) I just paid p&p (about £6 if I recall correctly) and got a brand new Tilley hat. It still needs a bit of wearing in to look like my old one.
Enjoy.

RuudGullitOnAShed Sun 08-Mar-20 16:23:47

All of mine have been packed and squashed into bags repeatedly and still look fine. They've been washed and reshaped and still look great.

@picklemewalnuts - take a look at the Tilley Airflow hats - they are great in hot weather

Floisme Sun 08-Mar-20 16:24:31

On looks alone, I prefer the harris tweed one but I realise that might not work all the year round.
Out of the three you've chosen, I like the weathered look of the Wanderer but I'd really want it fully waterproof, so probably the Hyeto for me.

Out of interest, can you fold them up and stick them in your bag when not in use?

Floisme Sun 08-Mar-20 16:25:13

Ah thanks Ruud - I didn't see your post!

TheQueef Sun 08-Mar-20 16:29:05

I'm secretly proud of how many and varied the body of waters are that my navy hat has been rescued from.
My beige summer gets grubby but washes so easily.

dancingqueen1978 Sun 08-Mar-20 16:38:36

@Floisme - I found these videos on tilley’s site. This is for wanderer hat and shoes how to squish down for duffel bag of pack into suitcase

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JmDOW2_aBU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I8d6Q7SVZM

dancingqueen1978 Sun 08-Mar-20 16:39:43

I want one for dog walking, camping and hiking so will want to squish it down in rucksacks/hold alls etc. It looks and sounds as if it would cope with all that really well

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in