Talk

Advanced search

YouTube make up tutorials

(37 Posts)
TheDogsMother Fri 06-Mar-20 14:47:35

Hi all. I am stuck in a make up rut and would like to learn how to do it a bit better/more fashionably. Can anyone suggest particular tutorials to look for on YouTube ? I'm in my 50s if there are any that focus on more mature types

OP’s posts: |
Ninkanink Fri 06-Mar-20 14:54:03

Hannah Martin is great. As is Lisa Eldridge.

Look for anyone using Bobbi Brown products as they tend to be very good for mature skin. I just click through to suggestions as well and I find lots of good ones that way.

Ninkanink Fri 06-Mar-20 14:57:53

I think Hannah does a few different mature ladies ones. But she also does lots of subtle, five-minute, simple daily looks which are suitable for any age. I’m sure Lisa will have a few as well.

There’s someone else who works for Bobbi Brown (a North American woman) but I can’t remember her name.

You can also just search ‘natural make up looks for mature skin’, or whatever term best applies.

TheDogsMother Fri 06-Mar-20 14:58:58

Thanks Nink ! I wonder if I should be looking at the Bobbi Brown products also.

Ninkanink Fri 06-Mar-20 15:01:20

I would highly recommend them, it’s my favourite brand. On the expensive side but have been well worth it to me.

Purplecatshopaholic Fri 06-Mar-20 15:21:33

I love Caroline Barnes, Dominique Sachse, and Gemma at Pampered Wolf - got some great tips there.

Sexnotgender Fri 06-Mar-20 15:24:47

Lisa Eldridge is very good.

mommybunny Fri 06-Mar-20 17:53:21

Purplecat’s got a good list - I’d also add Angie of Hot and Flashy.

TheDogsMother Fri 06-Mar-20 20:36:06

Thanks everyone,I'm going to spend a bit of time on these. Nink I've been checking out some new makeup so I will head to Bobbi Brown.

Lndnmummy Fri 06-Mar-20 20:57:35

Caroline Barnes is my favourite.

Ponks Fri 06-Mar-20 21:36:13

Another vote for Caroline Barnes

BookMeOnTheSudExpress Fri 06-Mar-20 22:22:01

I like Lisa Eldridge too.

OP- after a thread on here I splashed out on some Bobbi Brown and am really liking it. Serum foundation, colour corrector and a highlighter powdery thingy. I'm 54.

winterisstillcoming Fri 06-Mar-20 22:23:21

Pick someone who has the same skin tone/hair colour as you. Then just copy. At first, you'll be tempted to buy everything they tell you to so be careful. Use what you've got to create the look and see how you go. Also, Mac and Bobbi brown will let you book a makeup lesson and the price of is redeemable for product. I saw the bb foundation on a YouTube video and went and had the lesson. So happy with it and saved a fortune experimenting.
I then did a smokey eye tutorial at Mac which was good too.

TheDogsMother Fri 06-Mar-20 22:43:13

Winter good call about the colouring. Aside from the 'mature' I think my green eyes are a redeeming feature so I'd like to make something of them.

Ninkanink Fri 06-Mar-20 22:48:43

Yes if you’re not sure of skin undertone then definitely get advice on that from a make up counter. If you know whether you’re warm or cool toned then you can just watch tutorials that apply to you.

SpeckledyHen Sat 07-Mar-20 07:21:08

Lisa Eldridge

SinglePringle Sat 07-Mar-20 07:34:04

All the above and PixiWoo. Although you’re more likely to find them on their 2 Instagram sites these days (Sam Chapman and Nicki Chapman).

Gwenhwyfar Sun 08-Mar-20 13:44:32

I don't like the way Lisa Eldridge does her own makeup so not sure about watching her videos. Is there anyone who can do a full makeup look, but natural colours?

Ninkanink Sun 08-Mar-20 14:15:03

She’s still worth watching - the benefit of watching an actual make up artist (as opposed to people who aren’t trained, just doing their own looks) is that they have the skills and knowledge that are transferable to whatever look they’re doing, and they know how to tailor their make up to the woman who is having it done. She does plenty of natural/subtle looks.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=UEtK9a-SSZs

m.youtube.com/watch?v=AxUfhFPixTQ

m.youtube.com/watch?v=uMpHq2sbDrM&t=340s

m.youtube.com/watch?v=oRhtxRb8j8M

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ADmK3dILwk0

m.youtube.com/watch?v=2DDFFuENqYA

m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ZRjW1ZJLQ

m.youtube.com/watch?v=fLnKtPVpofM

Hannah Martin is my favourite, though. Lots and lots of different tutorials for different looks.

Also like Kim Soane:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw6kGdtBg-U

m.youtube.com/watch?v=e7-ruhMtJRo

m.youtube.com/watch?v=9We_vWdizCs

m.youtube.com/watch?v=PQdsL4vR7vE

BlushRosePink Sun 08-Mar-20 14:54:01

On the recommendation of this thread I followed the advice of Caroline Barnes Hooded Eyes clip and it really works. Thank you.

LidlDonkey Sun 08-Mar-20 15:08:37

Do they? grin

TheDogsMother Sun 08-Mar-20 18:35:01

Hooded eyes, arrgghhh ! Not quite there yet but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Good point about learning how the make-up artists do things so I will take a look at these. I am after a natural look though have an event coming up which may call for a smoky eye or maybe even two grin

SinglePringle Mon 09-Mar-20 07:35:58

Some of us were born with hooded eyes!

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Mon 09-Mar-20 08:28:49

Gwenhwyfar

I really rate Suzie O'Neil/ AYU make up, full make up but natural and no Panda eyes and highlighter on noses!

lindyloo57 Mon 09-Mar-20 17:53:44

I am looking for a mature blogger to follow for makeup and fashion who hasn't had any work done on their faces, this so hard, I love watching angie hot and flashy, sugar puff and fluff, and some others but they all have botox, fillers, I want to only follow bloggers who are natural, do anyone know of some I can follow.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in