Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a new leather jacket?

(39 Posts)
chocolatesaltyballs22 Fri 06-Mar-20 07:40:50

Hi all, need some help from you style gurus. Decided to treat myself to a new leather jacket, the one I'm wearing at the moment is a battered Monsoon one which is way past it's sell by date. I'm a fairly fashionable 50 year old, size 14, 5ft 2. Looking for something black, budget up to £300. Honestly don't know where to start or what's fashionable at the moment? Biker style...or am I too old for that?! Help!!

OP’s posts: |
Sooverthemill Fri 06-Mar-20 07:44:50

Look at Hobbs, jigsaw, hush, Baukjen, and all saints. John Lewis stock all but Baukjen.

EdithHope Fri 06-Mar-20 08:20:14

I would add Whistles and Reiss to that list. I don't think a biker style is inappropriate at any age. There are so many styles around these days, you can have some very minimalist versions of a biker or full on very embellished (lots of straps and buckles) ones. Just depends on your taste.

chocolatesaltyballs22 Fri 06-Mar-20 08:21:27

Am thinking more minimalist...thanks.

Bluntness100 Fri 06-Mar-20 08:23:39

I love the jaeger ones, surprisingly enough, excellent quality.

I am fifty one and got this olive green one, are you sure you want black? This is hugely flattering on and the colour goes with everything.

www.jaeger.co.uk/stand-collar-leather-biker-jacket

chocolatesaltyballs22 Fri 06-Mar-20 08:25:00

That's lovely but definitely want black. Will take a look at Jaeger as well - thanks.

Bluntness100 Fri 06-Mar-20 08:30:41

This might be more your thing then,

www.jaeger.co.uk/biker-jacket-7a4bc4

As said, I’m surprised at the quality and I’ve tried many a leather jacket and done the search,,

battlestargalactica Fri 06-Mar-20 08:31:45

search asos for barney's originals, they have a few different styles on a large discount.

Tish008 Fri 06-Mar-20 08:32:05

Boda Skins in the sale!

Hands down the best leather jacket ever!

EdithHope Fri 06-Mar-20 08:33:24

This All Saints one looks nice and simple. Also 15% off first order.

Tish008 Fri 06-Mar-20 08:33:28

www.bodaskins.com/collections/woman-leather-jackets-view-all/products/womens-kay-michaels-platinum

Bluntness100 Fri 06-Mar-20 08:37:34

I’d be wary of anything with the ribbing on the arms.in my experience they make your arms look quite chunky and bigger than they are.

battlestargalactica Fri 06-Mar-20 08:46:18

actually there's more styles/colours on their site, all similar discount barneysoriginals.com/product-category/women/womens-leather

Sooverthemill Fri 06-Mar-20 10:36:57

I agree to go for a very plain style. I have 2 which are fairly plain and go with anything. Personally hates the buckles or in your face zips. I forgot whistles. Also look at Pure Collection for simple leather

chocolatesaltyballs22 Fri 06-Mar-20 11:41:15

Ooh thankyou everyone, am tempted by the All Saints 15% off - love a bargain!

bobbletrouble Fri 06-Mar-20 12:42:38

Sorry to jump on, but has anyone had any luck with getting leather jackets altered? I have a long body and short arms - petite jackets tend to be too short, but a regular leather jacket with too-long arms is unlikely to be a good look!

Alsohuman Fri 06-Mar-20 12:48:35

I’m a lot older than you, OP, and still love my biker, it’s a style classic. Mine’s Jaeger and it still looks new five years on with heavy wear.

WTFsMyUserName Fri 06-Mar-20 12:52:39

@bobbletrouble I've had mine altered. The tailor took up the sleeves at the shoulders so the detail at the bottom of the sleeve wasn't lost. Cost around £60

Alsohuman Fri 06-Mar-20 12:53:17

The one Bluntness linked is mine and oh my goodness, they now do it in navy - I waaaaant it and can’t possibly justify it!

WTFsMyUserName Fri 06-Mar-20 12:54:46

Would you consider next to new second hand? You could pick up a really nice designer one with your budget. Like Burberry, helmut Lang etc but you need to be sure if your size.

bobbletrouble Fri 06-Mar-20 13:00:29

@WTFsmyusername aaah thanks, I clearly need to find somebody locally who is good. Don't think the place I normally use for hemming would be up to it.

That Jaeger jacket in navy is gorgeous.

chocolatesaltyballs22 Fri 06-Mar-20 13:14:37

Thanks I've now ordered the All Saints one with 15% off. Knew I could rely on the ladies on here!

EdithHope Fri 06-Mar-20 17:19:04

Oh how exciting. Apparently it's a really good fit on petite ladies (I followed someone on IG who was short and bought one). If only I could justify another one, but my Whistles one is still going strong!

BlythesEyes Fri 06-Mar-20 18:05:00

If you live near Cheshire Oaks in the north west I'd reccomend going to All Saints as they had loads last time I popped in.

chocolatesaltyballs22 Fri 06-Mar-20 18:46:53

Excited! It's coming tomorrow, paid a tenner for Saturday delivery.

I'm a 2 hour drive from Cheshire Oaks unfortunately.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in