Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Please help someone with no style sense

(13 Posts)
DumbledoresGirl Thu 06-Sep-07 10:02:42

A few months ago I bought a denim jacket this one in fact I really like the jacket but I haven't worn it much because I don't know what goes with it (the dress I bought from the same source to go with it I did not like and sent back). I don't like wearing it with jeans because I think that looks like too much denim (aged rocker, yuk!) and anyway the denim in my jeans is not the same colour as the denim in the jacket (does that matter?)

So please could you give me ideas of what would look good with this particular jacket (preferably shows pictures so I understand completely).

Thanks!

collision Thu 06-Sep-07 10:04:46

I think you could wear it with lots of things.

Navy jeans or a long skirt or a skimpy dress.

Depends what look you want really.

mishymoo Thu 06-Sep-07 10:07:38

The great thing about denim is that it goes with pretty much everything. Black trousers are a thought or a skirt, preferably long (but I prefer long 'cos don't have great legs blush).

DumbledoresGirl Thu 06-Sep-07 10:09:25

Yes I think any skirt I would wear with it would have to be long because it is very short. but then, I am the person with no sense of style so maybe I am wrong there.

What look do I want? I don't know! Casual but not too casual. SAHM but not mumsy.

MrsSpoon Thu 06-Sep-07 10:09:44

I wouldn't wear it with denim, like you I think it looks too much, but it would be great with pretty much anything else.

MrsBadger Thu 06-Sep-07 12:04:59

cords
khakis
possibly skirts
not denim
preferably not black

I am v wary of jackets this shape as I worry the croppedness emphasises my arse.

DumbledoresGirl Thu 06-Sep-07 13:27:01

I take the line that I can't see my arse so don't care what it looks like. wink

Actually, I think my arse is probably alright.

The problem with this jacket is that it is quite masculine/military (note buttons down sleeve) which I personally like (I am not a very feminine girl) but it seems to make it hard to match it with anything without looking like I am cross-dressing.

MaryAnnSingleton Thu 06-Sep-07 13:28:10

my top tip is NEVER wear denim with denim

MaryAnnSingleton Thu 06-Sep-07 13:29:43

will look good with pretty,floaty things underneath, good contrast I think

DumbledoresGirl Thu 06-Sep-07 13:32:54

That is the way I am thinking MAS. So, given that I am a comfort and practicality girl first and last, does that mean I will have to shelve it until next summer as I don't think floaty things and autumn/winter go together?

MaryAnnSingleton Thu 06-Sep-07 13:35:34

well, you could have a more substantial skirt or trousers and a couple of pretty tops (say a vest or camisole under a filmier top ) just showing underneath

DumbledoresGirl Thu 06-Sep-07 13:40:50

I will have to have a look round shops I guess. [sigh] I think the bottoms bit I have clear in my mind, but the tops is harder.

Mellin Thu 06-Sep-07 13:43:49

My biggest rule is also absolutely no D.O.D (denim on denim).

If you aren't a really girly dresser, then I think it would like great with boy-style trousers (think GAP) or knee length shorts.

You can definitely wear it with black because the denim is light. Dark denim with black is a no-no (in my books).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: