Talk

Advanced search

You helped me with my makeup... Now...

(11 Posts)
HerRoyalCarbyLess Sun 01-Mar-20 19:51:19

Can you tell me if my skin care is ok?

Quick background, 28, multiple disabilities, partner of 12 years left not long ago, he was abusive, just not physically.
I have 3 kids and no confidence.
A lovely friend is getting me some makeup, then I don't have to spend a fortune buying any, and you lot said my makeup looked good so that's alright.

Now the next step of taking care of myself is skin.
I always remove makeup properly, I use miscellar water on cotton pads, then I moisturise. Every day without fail. I think my face is fine.

My body though, I tend to moisturise after a shower but I have psoriasis and have some extremely dry patches. What can I use to help with that?
And my feet are horrendous. Dry, cracked heels, really tough skin on them.

I can't shower every day thanks to my disabilities, I can only shower when not in pain or I have someone here to help/look after the kids should I fall. (I'm waiting on the HA putting a walk in shower in but I still have the issue of if I fall. I had to go to hospital today with a dislocated wrist. I did it at 6 last night but had no childcare until after lunchtime today)

Any suggestions appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
ClientQueen Sun 01-Mar-20 19:53:18

I have dry itchy skin mostly in winter

For body I use
Bioderma shower oil
Sanctuary wet skin in shower moisturiser
Foot file on dry feet
Flexitol heel balm after file then put socks on (before bed!)

Girlintheframe Sun 01-Mar-20 19:54:39

Cetreban cream is very rich, really good for the dry bits with psoriasis.
Heels -schol heel balm literally gets rid of cracked heels in days.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 01-Mar-20 20:04:14

Can you get double base free on prescription? It’s ideal for anyone who can’t massage creams in, you smooth it on and leave it. No rubbing needed.

Auldspinster Sun 01-Mar-20 20:06:09

Eucerin lotion with urea is great very dry skin, I used to get it on prescription.

HerRoyalCarbyLess Sun 01-Mar-20 20:32:21

I've tried cetraben and double base and had no luck.
I'll see if I can get eucerin when I next see doctor.

Feet, I've ordered the Scholl stuff. Only a fiver, so let's see if it works.

OP’s posts: |
OneNightTimeMenaceStrikesBack Sun 01-Mar-20 20:54:23

Diprobase, if you can get the doctor to prescribe it would be good for every day use once you can get the worst of the dry skin under control (that might need steroid cream so best asking the doctor) I use it every day as my skin is horrendously dry and i get two huge pump bottles on prescription every month. My legs are especially bad tot he point they flake in huge pieces and get sore if i miss even one day of moisturising and diprobase keeps it supple enough to stop the flakes and i havent needed steroid cream for my legs for ages now.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 02-Mar-20 07:58:31

You can buy tubes of 100g of creams usually to try them out.

If the school cream has urea in it you must apply it after bathing or it won’t work as well.

I’m not a fan of cetraben either, or zero base.

banivani Mon 02-Mar-20 08:12:46

Last year I got an all over body eczema rash and was prescriped a strong steroid cream and body lotion to help combat the dryness that follows steroids. Body lotion is called Propyless and the active ingredient is propylene glycol. (Mind: I'm not in the UK.) It's very good. Urea is also a favourite ingredient of mine. If you can find a steong urea cream, say 20% or more, it really helps with dry cracked heels. But Newton's chiropody sponges have been a gamechanger for me! Amazing things, gets rid of all the dry skin and then a urea cream is just for maintenance.

MrsNoah2020 Mon 02-Mar-20 08:24:33

Hi, OP, I'm a GP and I have eczema myself. Unfortunately, it's trial and error with emollients (moisturisers) for both psoriasis and eczema: what works brilliantly for one patient is useless for the next person. So the only way of finding what works for you is to keep trying until you find one.

Once you have found what works for you, it is definitely worth asking it for it on prescription, so that you can get large quantities. You need to be applying it at least twice a day, ideally more. You can also use it in the shower, instead of a shower gel (be careful about the bottom of the shower getting slippery, though).

I agree with banivani about urea heel cream. Boots do one that is 20% urea. The most effective way of using it is at night, with cotton socks over it.

It's also worth asking your GP when you next see him/her whether you would be suitable for some of the other psoriasis treatments. Emollients are essential but, if they are not doing the job by themselves, there are now a large number of alternative treatments. For most patients, psoriasis is now controllable, so there is no need for you to be suffering unnecessarily.

ConsiderTheCentre Mon 02-Mar-20 08:30:47

I got a big tub of basic non fragranced aqueous cream from home bargains for 99p. It’s handy as an all over moisturiser or it can be used as a cream cleanser while you’re in the bath/shower.

I don’t think it would treat your worst psoriasis but I like it as a general moisturiser.

Home bargains also do those plastic foot treatments for 50/60p, I like to put some gloves on, slather my feet in the urea/schol cracked heel cream, then a general minty type of foot cream and then put the moisturising socks on to sleep in overnight, so all of the creams are socked into my feet and not on the sheets.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in