Talk

Advanced search

Spring coat

(48 Posts)
RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sat 22-Feb-20 11:58:34

I need something to wear when it's not quite warm enough for a leather jacket but not cold enough for a winter coat. Ideally black or grey and probably mid-thigh length. Any ideas on what sort of thing might be good, or where I might look?

OP’s posts: |
hopeishere Sat 22-Feb-20 12:08:06

I got https://www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/stanhope-coat-navy/sty-t0390-nav?cat=C1S2G2&pid=T0390-T0390-G_00000002315this from boden but it's too tight round my arms and I'm refusing to go up a size!! I'm looking at their parka as well.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sat 22-Feb-20 12:09:43

That's really nice, but I class that as a 'winter' coat. Have got very similar in bright pink from Cos.

OhTheRoses Sat 22-Feb-20 12:10:41

I thought about the stanhope coat and then compromised and bought the coatigan. It's perfect.

Floisme Sat 22-Feb-20 12:20:47

Pea coat? I know you don't like navy but this kind of thing

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sat 22-Feb-20 12:23:04

I've already got a pea coat but again I class that as a winter coat!

RockingMyFiftiesNot Sat 22-Feb-20 13:00:02

I'm looking for similar OP. 'Coatigans' fit the bill for me but have only seen them in greys / pinks so far which aren't my colours.

OhTheRoses Sat 22-Feb-20 14:07:53

rocking the one I bought from Boden is dark blue - not quite navy and also comes in camel.

Floisme Sat 22-Feb-20 14:20:18

Trying to remember what I normally wear in spring / autumn - it feels so long ago!
A leather coat - just above the knee in length and warmer than a jacket.
A raincoat with one of those gilet things underneath if I need extra warmth.
A tweed jacket.
And I've got a couple of 1960s coats in a lighter weight fabric and with cropped sleeves, which always feel a bit more spring-like.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sat 22-Feb-20 14:27:10

I've got a sensible Joules rain coat but it's bright yellow and only to be worn with all black outfits or I look like a toddler.

I don't want a coatigan.

I'm not sure what I want but definitely feel there's a gap in my coat wardrobe. Maybe a gilet under a leather jacket might work?

TheLightGetsIn Sat 22-Feb-20 15:59:04

Trench coats are my go-to for spring coats.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sat 22-Feb-20 16:05:08

A trench coat is probably the sort of thing I need, but I look dreadful in them.

Countmeout Sat 22-Feb-20 17:01:50

I tend to leap from my winter coats into my denim jacket/khaki jacket/cream linen . I too have a joules parka style raincoat (but not yellow) if required or a Boden rainy day Mac that is slightly too formal for my current style. I have a lighter weight puffa from Uniqlo if it’s too cold for any of the above and am wearing jeans.
I think of black or grey as winter colours and have a winter weight coat in sage green that was Zara last winter and that 2014 pink coat from Marks and Spencer which I can wear at this time of year so it lightens things up. (I am rather fond of coats 😬) And I have a very long Zara camel raincoat that I fear makes me look like Vera on a bad day.

SwedishEdith Sat 22-Feb-20 17:07:15

Something like this?

ageingdisgracefully Sat 22-Feb-20 17:09:46

I have my eye on a Levi's cotton one.

Very spring and rather Prisoner Cell Block H but I like it. smile

Countmeout Sat 22-Feb-20 17:18:14

Oh and Marks and Spencer have some coats in Spring colours if you want a formal style coat.

OhTheRoses Sat 22-Feb-20 19:16:16

They do count but I think I had the 2014 pink coat (that went to Oxfam this year) but this year's offerings seem to scream M&S. I loved that pink coat.

Lucked Sat 22-Feb-20 21:00:17

What about an isle Jacobsen soft shell or a single breasted trench?

Lucked Sat 22-Feb-20 21:04:09

My leather jacket is warmer than my Ilse Jacobsen although not as good in wet weather but I often put a layer under mine. I have three different weights and styles of trench coat - no gaps in my coat wardrobe!

NC4Now Sat 22-Feb-20 23:36:55

I was going to suggest a trench too. What is it that doesn't work for you? I don't loo good in double breasted but single I can wear. There are a few styles.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 23-Feb-20 09:10:48

Thanks, all. I'm very much enjoying the descriptions of coat collections.

Don't like that one, sorry, SwedishEdith. It looks like a school janitor's overall.

What kind of layers do people put under leather jackets? I'm wondering if a gilet or even a (whispers) fleece might work?do

I'm going to try a couple of trench coats on. The M&S ones look a better length than many I've seen in the past, but I'm not loving the colours. Also M&S fabrics tend to be pretty vile these days.

I've got:
Denim
3 x leather bikers
A camo cotton Hush jacket
Khaki Hush military type thing
Yellow raincoat
But I think what's missing is something a bit longer and that could cope okay in a shower, but is pretty lightweight.

fiorentina Sun 23-Feb-20 09:31:44

I have a very light cotton parka I got at the end of last year. It’s very useful for warmer days.
Also a denim jacket as double denim is on trend! Plus some blazers. Apparently I have too many coats!

Gillybobs Sun 23-Feb-20 09:34:40

A car coat rather than a trench works for me..same rain proof fabric but a cleaner shape. I got mine from autograph but I've seen them in Gap and La redoute recently too

Fochit Sun 23-Feb-20 09:37:20

I have a protected species parka

Fochit Sun 23-Feb-20 09:52:13

...... it’s my go-to coat.
Fully waterproof, but doesn’t look it, light and I can layer if necessary

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in