Talk

Advanced search

Mother of the bride/groom outfits.

(6 Posts)
Justmuddlingalong Thu 20-Feb-20 22:04:02

Would anyone who's ran the gauntlet of shopping for a mother of the bride or groom outfit please post a photo for inspiration please? I'm genuinely horrified at the prospect and would appreciate some ideas. TIA

OP’s posts: |
EdithWeston Fri 21-Feb-20 05:45:48

My top tip is tomavoid looking for an "outfit"

What is the style of the wedding? What is your usual style for high days and holidays? Because I think you want the best version of that, not something being flogged with a wedding price tag

Justmuddlingalong Fri 21-Feb-20 09:18:59

It's in a country house hotel, late summer. I'm short, size 10 and am usually dressed in jeans. Going out I usually wear a dress, from next, Wallis or phase 8. I'll know what I want to wear when I see it, IYKWIM. I'll browse when I'm in town and have a look online, so thanks for the tip.

OP’s posts: |
RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Fri 21-Feb-20 09:35:39

I intend to get a Westwood if either of mine ever marry.

Sooverthemill Fri 21-Feb-20 09:43:12

I am going to be step mother of the bride next year ( and the mother will be there. Yikes, we don't speak). I've been looking at Ghost and Rico dresses because I want something I can wear again but which is a treat. My sister bought an outfit from John Lewis using a personal shopper and looked lovely when her son got married and flogged it on eBay for more than she paid the following week!

I don't know your age but this blogger has sensible ideas for event dressing when you want to look good. It may inspire you. I want photos please! Have a lovely day

EdithWeston Fri 21-Feb-20 10:40:58

I think a personal shopper at a good deoartment store might be time well spent - even if you don't find The One, you should get lots of useful advice but shapes and colours and perhaps try on things you wouid never have picked off the rack no see what you think outside your usual. That said, don't try a drastic new look at a big occasion. I always want to forget what I'm wearing once the event starts.

Do think about what style shoes go with whatever you choose - if it's likely to be a long day, you'll want comfy options

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in