Talk

Advanced search

Sudden dark patch on outer cheekbone; melasma?? What can I do?

(9 Posts)
NarniaBanarnia Fri 14-Feb-20 15:13:58

I have very pale skin so use spf 50 daily BUT I do use mild retinol and I use good genes which has glycolic acid.

I’m worried that the one day I went out last week without spf (tbf I was only outside for an hour, at 9am, but it was sunny) has led to this weird looking shadowy dark patch on my cheekbone. Can’t think what else it can possibly be. In certain lights I now look like I have a slight black eye!! No wonder my mum just commented on it; I think she thinks someone has punched me!!

I’ve had melasma before years ago (upper lip) which took about 2y to fade!

Anything I can do???

OP’s posts: |
VeganCow Fri 14-Feb-20 15:53:25

I doubt that you could have got that from an hours exposure in winter in the morning. I think damage occurs slower than that?

peachgreen Fri 14-Feb-20 15:56:31

This happened to me when I used acids, despite wearing spf every day - it was my top lip and took nearly 6mo to fade. I just covered it every day. It was miserable to be honest. Hope yours fades quickly.

silver1977 Fri 14-Feb-20 16:01:41

I suffer with melasma and think it's not just sunlight that causes these patches to appear, I wonder if it is hormone related? The only thing that worked on mine was hydroquinone and tretinoin.

TheHumansAreDefinitelyDead Fri 14-Feb-20 16:46:17

It is usually hormones

Either pregnancy, the pill or (peri) menopause

Retinol and glycolic scud would make your skin more prone to this

Try using vitamin C cream instead (brightening) and use spf/hat

NarniaBanarnia Fri 14-Feb-20 17:32:09

Hm, thanks everyone!

Could be peri menopause tbf...

I will stop with the acids and retinol and just use my trusty Vit C oil.

Are there any good vit C products specifically to help clear melasma?

Thanks everyone.

BrandoraPaithwaite Fri 14-Feb-20 17:42:54

I have lots of melasma on my forehead, cheekbone areas and sides of my face. Even a tiny bit of weak sun brings it right out. The only thing that has helped is years of religiously wearing factor 50 every day. The patches are all still there but very light now and easier to conceal or ignore.

I wouldn't waste money on any expensive creams. It's too deep under the skin surface for creams or anything you could apply to have an effect.

silver1977 Fri 14-Feb-20 18:28:34

If you did want to treat it though OP I would recommend hydroquinone/tretinoin. I used the Obagi Nu-Derm range a couple of years ago, completely transformed my skin and faded the melasma, it works in the deeper layers of skin unlike other creams. I've had new small areas appear so have just brought the 2 main things you need rather than the whole range again, the hydroquinone and tretinoin and it works.

NarniaBanarnia Sat 15-Feb-20 13:48:41

Thanks Brandora and silver.

I’m
Probably exaggerating how bad it is; in a certain light it’s like I’ve been punched below the eye but in other lights it’s not visible. Maybe this means I’ve caught it in time to help reverse it??!!

That Obagi range looks good silver.

I have forked out on a pricey product once several years ago that did wonders for brightening so I might treat myself to another bottle of it (and live on baked beans for a few weeks grin to justify it. It’s a DCL vitamin C serum type thing. Might try it and see how things go over the next couple of months.

I am going to be even more careful than usual this summer... parasol at the ready...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in