Talk

Advanced search

Matte red lipstick?

(19 Posts)
Frownette Fri 14-Feb-20 12:43:44

No orange or pink undertones, a blue undertones one. I got overwhelmed looking earlier!

RadioSilence Fri 14-Feb-20 13:29:51

Ruby Woo by Mac is the ultimate one, but it is very matte and quite drying on the lips. It is an absolutely gorgeous colour though.

arinah Fri 14-Feb-20 14:20:17

Sleek Matte Me in Old Hollywood - it is a liquid lipstick but not too drying, and it has the blue undertones. It is more of a campy red, but I feel as though applying a thin layer works at making it a slighter brighter red.

Frownette Fri 14-Feb-20 15:25:27

Thank you both - I'm on a budget so will look for dupes.

What I really want is one I can smear a little of on, so not full on lipstick

KondoKonvert Fri 14-Feb-20 15:27:04

You can buy MAC minis if you don't want to commit to the full size. Russian Red is good too.

RoseReally Fri 14-Feb-20 15:28:44

Ruby Woo is such a great colour but it is sooo dry. I also like a Nars one that is mucj easier to apply, think it's called Dragon Lady?

arinah Fri 14-Feb-20 16:18:34

Definitely meant vampy red, not campy! blush

Newnamewhodis1 Fri 14-Feb-20 16:51:18

'Mac Red' - same colour as Ruby woo but not as matte.

Frownette Fri 14-Feb-20 17:00:33

Campy grin

I'll get out my feather boa and blue eye shadow.

It's been useful thanks, I'll investigate all of these

CallofDoodee Fri 14-Feb-20 17:06:13

I love Ruby Woo but it's so drying I just can't wear it, it just flakes off even if I have prepped my lips. I don't know how people wear it tbh!

Velvet Ribbon by Lisa Eldridge is an absolutely gorgeous blue toned red and is similar to Ruby Woo. But the texture is much nicer, it's not totally matte its more of a, well, velvet texture - I love it! It's really pigmented as well. It's quite spendy (26 quid I think) but the packaging and everything is so gorgeous as well.

CallofDoodee Fri 14-Feb-20 17:08:10

Oh sorry, missed where you said you are on a budget (so am I to be honest but the Velvet Ribbon slipped into my basket 😂) I'm not sure about dupes of those particular lipsticks?

arinah Fri 14-Feb-20 18:17:01

@Frownette you'll look fabulous, darling grin
A good website for when you're on a budget is fragrancedirect.co.uk, I've bought lots of makeup bits and perfume from there and they're all good quality.

Newnamewhodis1 Fri 14-Feb-20 18:52:26

Lisa Eldridge velvet ribbon is LOVELY and lasts all day

Frownette Sun 16-Feb-20 16:33:00

in the end I got Rimmel lasting finish lipstick in 01! It's cheap and the right colour.

I'd love a fancier one but outside my budget at present smile

stoplickingthetelly Sun 16-Feb-20 19:56:18

Smashbox Bing is my favourite red. It’s matte, but not too drying and it’s a true cherry red. I love it.

bluerad Sun 16-Feb-20 19:59:18

Glad you are sorted. I was going to suggest Maybelline 24 hour in Blazing Red

marthamydear Mon 17-Feb-20 00:36:53

Siren in Scarlet by Maybelline is a good option. It's a smoother texture than Ruby Woo by Mac but cheaper. Around £7 I think.

Snoopysimaginaryfriend Mon 17-Feb-20 10:16:37

If you’re ok with liquid lipsticks then I’d recommend bourjois personne ne rouge (you can still get them online) Beautiful blue red, very soft matte and non drying.

Frownette Mon 17-Feb-20 12:28:45

Actually I'd forgotten that I have an old Trish Mcevoy one in storage, right colour; if I went to my storage unit though it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Hmm. I think I'm sorted for now. Thank you all!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »