Talk

Advanced search

The glitz and glamour of the Oscars...

(173 Posts)
QueenOfTheAndals Sun 09-Feb-20 15:52:16

Who are you looking forward to seeing on the red carpet tonight? Who will be the best dressed? All will be revealed in a few hours time!

Meanwhile have a look at the 100 best Oscar dresses of all time, according to Vogue, or the best vintage looks. Is it hairstyles you're after? We've got those, and best makeup looks too!

OP’s posts: |
SenecaFallsRedux Sun 09-Feb-20 16:21:06

Thanks for the thread!

I'm prepping for my annual watch party. Looking forward to seeing what Renee Z chooses.

QueenOfTheAndals Sun 09-Feb-20 16:32:55

Renee doesn't stray far from her usual silhouette but these days isn't as wedded to Carolina Herrera as she used to be.

MissClementine Sun 09-Feb-20 16:36:42

I can’t wait. I will be up early to tune in to the news.

hopeishere Sun 09-Feb-20 16:44:04

I love looking at the photos the next day!!

Wish it was on terrestrial here!

I was wondering why it was held on a Sunday. Saturday seems more logical.

alliwantisagoodnightssleep Sun 09-Feb-20 16:46:08

I can only hope for the glamour of bygone times. Thinking about Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly et al. Diamonds, beautiful dresses, and stunning women who can all move their faces.

MotherofPearl Sun 09-Feb-20 16:55:37

Ooooh, thanks! I think Cate Blanchett and Julianne Moore nail it fairly consistently with their red carpet looks.

MotherofPearl Sun 09-Feb-20 17:05:39

Love this one, for example. Proper grown up glamour.

beanaseireann Sun 09-Feb-20 17:13:56

I'd love if Saoirse Ronan wore a Helen Cody dress- she is an amazing Irish designer. If i were rich and thin ( sadly I'm neither ) I'd be her best customer.
Simone Rocha is also an amazing Irish designer.

QueenOfTheAndals Sun 09-Feb-20 17:25:45

Agree re Cate @MotherofPearl, here’s all her Oscar looks so far. Though for the first two dresses it was the back view that made them rather than the front.

MotherofPearl Sun 09-Feb-20 17:34:49

Cate in 2005 and 2015 are my best.

alliwantisagoodnightssleep Sun 09-Feb-20 17:38:02

@beanaseireann unfortunately Saoirse will be in Louis Vuitton most likely as she is a brand ambassador.

InvisibleWomenMustBeRead Sun 09-Feb-20 17:44:41

Checking in - love looking at their dresses!

Lottapianos Sun 09-Feb-20 17:48:11

Cate is the queen of the red carpet. No contest. She loves colour, always looks elegant, always looks comfortable in what she wears, and never flashes loads of flesh just for the sake of it. Julianne Moore is divine as well

I'm not a fan of tons of leg or cleavage. Personal taste. I think it always looks tacky

CoolcoolcoolcoolcoolNoDoubt Sun 09-Feb-20 17:52:24

I look forward to see what items from the Tiffany archive vault are being loaned out for the night.. diamonds are this girl’s best friend haha * sigh *

frugalkitty Sun 09-Feb-20 17:54:08

Oh crikey, another thread to keep up with! I like the full on Hollywood glamour gowns, hoping for some pretty colours this year.

MarshaBradyo Sun 09-Feb-20 17:55:57

Julianne Moore
Lupita Nyong'o
Emma Stone
Saoirse Ronan
Cate Blanchett

Regularly look amazing

QueenOfTheAndals Sun 09-Feb-20 18:04:34

Lupita has been a breath of fresh air on the red carpet for the past few years. She looks incredible in the colours she chooses.

megletthesecond Sun 09-Feb-20 18:05:32

As much as I don't personally like Armani he does pull off perfect Oscar gowns.

MarshaBradyo Sun 09-Feb-20 18:06:25

I know. She’s swoon-worthy, so pretty. That delicate pale blue was incredible.

QueenOfTheAndals Sun 09-Feb-20 18:08:00

Saoirse wore a gorgeous green glittery Calvin Klein dress in 2016 but last year's gown, also CK, looked like she'd wrapped a bedsheet around herself!

alliwantisagoodnightssleep Sun 09-Feb-20 18:18:43

@QueenOfTheAndals apologies I must have been thinking of someone else who reminded me of Saoirse.

beanaseireann Sun 09-Feb-20 18:22:29

Saoirse is a great actress but I don't like her red carpet dresses.
The first woman conductor of the Oscars orchestra, thanks Eimear Noone ( Irish) was talking about her dress for the Oscars- she brought it over by plane - Aer Lingus i think and apparently it was put in the cockpit for safekeeping. Both pilots were female.

QueenOfTheAndals Sun 09-Feb-20 18:23:56

@alliwantisagoodnightssleep Michelle Williams perhaps? I think she has a contract with LV.

RevIMJolly Sun 09-Feb-20 18:25:36

I think Michelle Williams is always interesting.

That yellow frock she wore was incredibly bold and I reckon the reason I bought a bright yellow beanie 😀

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in