Talk

Advanced search

11 year old boy funeral outfit

(15 Posts)
Queenundercanvas Sat 08-Feb-20 19:18:59

I'm just wondering what's appropriate for an 11 year old boy to wear to a funeral, it's a great grandparent.

His school trousers are black and school shirt is white so they're just ordinary shirt and trousers l.

Asda do this jacket.

Would this be ok? Should he wear a tie?

I know it's basically school uniform but it's the same thing isn't it? None of my family are particularly posh/fancy so I don't think anyone is going to judge.

OP’s posts: |
FoamingAtTheUterus Sat 08-Feb-20 19:22:23

My DD wore a black tartan.skirt, black and cream jumper, cream tights and black boots to a.funeral at that age.

I personally wouldn't put him in a suit, I'd dress him.smartly with a.shirt or jumper instead.

BarkandCheese Sat 08-Feb-20 19:26:13

That would be fine for a boy his age at any of the funerals I’ve been to recently. If you don’t want to get a jacket a smart jumper would be fine too imho.

MoltonSilver Sat 08-Feb-20 19:31:18

It would be fine but as already said, a jumper would be fine too. There's no expectation for kids to dress the same as the adults for funerals.

Sgtmajormummy Sat 08-Feb-20 19:32:12

Mine wore grey cords, a fairisle jumper and a plaid shirt. 10 at the time.

I think it’s nice for kids to be dressed in (muted) colours at a funeral. It gives a little note of hope and he can wear the outfit on other occasions too.

Queenundercanvas Sat 08-Feb-20 19:35:47

Thanks. Should it be a jumper like this? As in a smarter knit type one. I take it a sweat top/hoody type top that's he's already got would not be ok?

Sorry this is the first funeral I will have been to.

Queenundercanvas Sat 08-Feb-20 19:39:52

Sorry just re-read everyone has said smart jumper already.

Think I'll probably go with a smart jumper then rather than suit.

daisypond Sat 08-Feb-20 19:40:37

I wouldn’t have him in a suit,especially if he doesn’t have one. I wouldn’t buy anything special either, unless all his clothes are very inappropriate. Trousers and a muted colour jumper is fine. My young children wore normal clothes at their gran’s funeral.

FoamingAtTheUterus Sat 08-Feb-20 19:46:13

Queen that looks ideal and can be worn again.

helpfulperson Sat 08-Feb-20 19:46:29

Smart, dark jumper is fine. That's what my nephews wore recently to my dad's funeral.

Queenundercanvas Sat 08-Feb-20 19:54:13

Thanks.

Unfortunately all his clothes are sports wear so joggers, hoodies, football stuff apart from one checked shirt and a pair of jeans! We don't really go to any occasions so he just lives in sports stuff.

PigletJohn Sat 08-Feb-20 20:28:10

a plain, dark jumper over a collared shirt will be useful for a bit longer than a jacket. At age 11 he will be growing out of things almost visibly.

PigletJohn Sat 08-Feb-20 20:29:42

don't forget some plain black shoes and socks.

HerkyBaby Sat 08-Feb-20 21:00:37

If he has a school blazer it is very appropriate to wear full school uniform with School tie and a black arm band

Tallycally Sat 08-Feb-20 21:04:43

Yes school uniform for children attending funerals in my experience. Very acceptable x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in