Talk

Advanced search

Boden Vevet Coat

(33 Posts)
Caroline1852 Fri 31-Aug-07 11:16:39

I am tempted to buy a Boden velvet coat (from Autumn/Winter 07 catalogue). I like the green one. The only thing I don't like is the rounded collars (I am loving the spotty lining).
Has anyone got one of these coats? If yes, what are they like in the flesh.
Has anyone seen any nice velvet coats anywhere else?
Perhaps someone will talk me out of Boden as to be honest 90% of their stuff is all wrong wrong wrong in the flesh but looks lovely in the catalogue on Ingrid, favourite food: picnic!
Help me I need a coat.

sugarmatches Fri 31-Aug-07 11:37:39

I have the coat in blue.
I had to go down a size from what I normally wear, which I did love!
But the coat is a bit shapeless. I would have preferred the waist to go in a bit more. Having said that, I do really like the coat. The colour is not what I was hoping for, but is still pretty.
I love the spotty lining and think i will just wear it open most of the time.
Two thumbs up!

SueW Fri 31-Aug-07 11:44:34

I'd like a velvet coat - but one which is much more shaped with a definite waist and flared 'skirt'. Much like some of the macs that have been around over the summer.

Caroline1852 Fri 31-Aug-07 11:45:01

I like the blue too. The fact that it is a bit shapeless might be a good thing for me since I had a baby six weeks ago (by c-section) and I am a bit waistless myself blush. How long is it on you?

nailpolish Fri 31-Aug-07 11:47:09

is it this one

gorgeous
i lke the green

MrsBadger Fri 31-Aug-07 12:08:59

verdicts on velvet coat here

seam is in funny place over norks, apparently

Caroline1852 Fri 31-Aug-07 12:09:53

nailpolish - yes. trouble is the green doesn't have such a vivid lining.

JackieNo Fri 31-Aug-07 12:11:29

There's this, but shock at the price, and it doesn't have an interesting lining (also only in black or brown).

JackieNo Fri 31-Aug-07 12:12:57

Mmm- gothtasticgrin (but rather yummy all the same)

knat Fri 31-Aug-07 12:15:25

i ordered the velvet coat and was very plesed with it (i hd the black) - it did come up on the bigger side but theni like comfy and thought with jumpers under it would be about right. Unfortunately had a flash of conscience and decided i couldnt really justify spending the money at the mo so sent it back!but I would recommend getting one though.

nailpolish Fri 31-Aug-07 13:02:51

yes i agree abou t the lining
sham e you cant choose the lining

nailpolish Fri 31-Aug-07 13:17:21

would the velvet get worn at the shoulder if you hada bag over the shoulder day in day out?

TheMaskedPoster Fri 31-Aug-07 13:29:03

JackieNo, I love the Gothtastic one!

JackieNo Fri 31-Aug-07 13:31:04

So do I, but I'd look ridiculous in itsad.

TheMaskedPoster Fri 31-Aug-07 13:33:52

yes, me too

(after kidding myself for the last 5 mins that I could wear it!!)

<sigh>

JackieNo Fri 31-Aug-07 13:35:02

They have others too, but probably no more wearable, I'm afraid.

nailpolish Fri 31-Aug-07 13:35:54

jackie, do you think a shoulder bag would wear down the velvet on the shoulder of the coat? over time, i mean

wools Fri 31-Aug-07 13:36:16

I've just got a boden velvet coat in black and am very pleased with it. It can be dressed up or down as appropriate plus love the fact you can fit an extra layer or two underneath in the cold weather.

cupcakes Fri 31-Aug-07 13:36:17

I like the pink coat. Think it is a bit voluminous though.

Might consider if I see it in the sale..

JackieNo Fri 31-Aug-07 13:37:58

Nailpolish - I guess it depends how heavy it is - if you just had a small, light bag, you might get away with it. Also seatbelts might be a problem if you're going to be wearing it in the car, I guesssad.

nailpolish Fri 31-Aug-07 13:49:29

i would take it off in the car
and fold it nicely on the backshelf/boot blush
i would be SO worried about a bag wearing it down
would have to carry one

nailpolish Fri 31-Aug-07 13:50:26

i like boden but its not for short arses like me
made for tall people sad

and im FED UP emailing them asking fora petite line

Caroline1852 Fri 31-Aug-07 13:57:42

jackieno - LOL at the other goth coats. I would look like I was on my way to a Scottish Widows audition!
There is 9 weeks waiting time on the Boden velvet coats. hmm

janeitebus Fri 31-Aug-07 14:33:46

Love the gothtastic one Jackie - takes me back about 20 years; I used to wear a black velvet cape too, as well as having a coat quite similar to the one you've posted but without the wonderfully Stoker-esque red lining!

Caroline1852 Fri 31-Aug-07 14:49:57

I will be wearing my velvet coat in the car, out for walks with the pushchair, to school rugby matches etc so I don't want it to be too long.
I am now tempted to go for the black because it is in stock ..... I really wanted a green one with a red spotty lining. Or shall I go for the blue?
I still don't like the round collar and actually I don't like the pockets and clumpy seams. I like the velvet and the lining and particularly the green. Oh help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now