Talk

Advanced search

Can’t walk in any heels

(12 Posts)
Aug120 Tue 14-Jan-20 14:05:03

I’m nearly hitting 40 and I have never been able to walk in any heels. I wear flats all the time and have avoided going to so many events cos I just don’t feel sexy at all. I really want to feel confident wearing some nice heels not even high ones just medium ones or even low ones.

When I have worn heels in the past I just feel like everyone is staring and I’m walking funny. When I was younger someone once said I “bounce” in heels and everyone was laughing so this stayed with me. Any tips please, I would love to actually go out wearing heels for my 40th and not just sit at home doing nothing.

Luzina Tue 14-Jan-20 14:07:17

Heels are not a prerequisite for going out, you can get some nice flats.

However if you really want heels, maybe buy some and wear them at home as much as possible.

SurpriseSparDay Tue 14-Jan-20 17:44:56

It’s true - you don’t have to wear them!

However. Assuming you have no specific mobility problems what you’ll need to do is address your core strength. The best and easiest solution is to get yourself a weighted hoola hoop and use it regularly.

You will be amazed. People used to stop me in the street to ask how I managed ... (I’m fairly certain I’ve stopped wearing stilettos because they’re out of fashion rather than for any other reason ...)

Sparkletastic Tue 14-Jan-20 17:48:14

Same. Weakest ankles in all of Christendom. I can manage wedge sandals with good ankle straps and ankle boots with those blocky but pointed heels (inverted triangle shaped kinda things). Try those.

Lucked Tue 14-Jan-20 17:51:55

For the last 2-3years I have worn ankle boots with a mid heel to most evening events and everybody else seems to wear boots too. I do have a wedding coming up but I won’t go higher than a small heel.

If you really want to do it the only way to master it is to practise and to break In the shoes you plan to wear. Wear heels around the house and then on short trips out when nipping to the shops etc working up to longer times.

CountFosco Tue 14-Jan-20 19:57:35

This is the wrong time to worry about wearing heels, flat shoes are having a moment so enjoy it. If you really need to feel very dressed up then pointy flats with a low vamp do the same jobs as heels (without the sore feet and twisted ankles) but I wear trainers or flat ankle boots or derbys or oxfords or brogues or loafers pretty much the whole time.

Thisenglishlife Tue 14-Jan-20 20:04:24

Wedge or block heel, perhaps with a strap
Break in at home
Wear to the supermarket (walk while holding the trolley)

JoyceDivision Tue 14-Jan-20 20:28:10

I have never worn heels, I just cannot do it!

I live in patent brogues, DM pointed brogues, check out the Dupree style,

Rose gold converse for pubbing, flip flops and Birkenstocks in summer.

As for not looking sexy...mennseem to manage without them.and many women so whobgives a flip, really?

leccybill Tue 14-Jan-20 20:34:38

I can't walk in heels but the way I got over it was to stop caring and buy more nice flats!
I have one pair of suede block heel shoe-boots with hidden platform from Clarks, they are the only heels i can manage and i wear them rarely!

3luckystars Tue 14-Jan-20 20:36:14

Heels are totally out of fashion. Look around you. I only realised this after a thread on here last year. I'm delighted anyway.

Whatnowagnes Tue 14-Jan-20 21:08:00

Heels look so dated these days. Just wear flats.

Thisenglishlife Tue 14-Jan-20 22:22:25

'How to Walk in Heels' book extract

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »