Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can a black dress look okay at a wedding?

(16 Posts)
bumbleweed Mon 27-Aug-07 22:02:31

I'm 6 months pregnant and the only dress I can find which fits me and doesnt look like an enormous tent is a plain black one.

Have a wedding to go to on Saturday. Can it look okay to wear black at a wedding? - I wouldnt normally, but cant find anything else maternity-wise. How can I brighten up the outfit - what colours?

UCM Mon 27-Aug-07 22:05:02

Add one of those pashminas in a bright colour and put a flower in yer hair or sommate.

Black if perfectly good for any occasion.

Dinosaur Mon 27-Aug-07 22:06:31

I was told by PrincessPeahead (who is The Quality) that black is never right for weddings. However I ignored her completely and wore black to a wedding when I was six months pregnant and no-one batted an eyelid!

UCM Mon 27-Aug-07 22:07:47

True Dino, but if pregnant, it's ok.

Dinosaur Mon 27-Aug-07 22:08:42

That's exactly the stance I took, UCM!

bumbleweed Mon 27-Aug-07 22:21:49

I was thinking some kind of wrap or pashmina thing - how are you supposed to wear them?

I like those fascinator's instead of a hat but cant get one to stay in my hair which is straight and quite fine.

Can you wear cream with black (I have a cream hat, bag and shoes from another outfit)?

BBBee Mon 27-Aug-07 22:22:43

that sounds fine.

cylon Mon 27-Aug-07 22:24:29

depends on the culture. i remember years ago, getting ready to go to a mmuslim weddin in birmingham, and shocking my french flatmate by ironing a black outfit.
she was soooo shocked, it was quite comical.

Spidermama Mon 27-Aug-07 22:27:50

You can hire fab maternity dresses at a shop in Covent Garden (not sure where you are but they may well do it in other places too) called, I think, bumpsadaisy or something vaguely irritating like that.

bumbleweed Mon 27-Aug-07 22:36:08

am up north and wedding next weekend so the hire shop thing no-go but thanks for suggestion

dont think anyone would be shocked just dont want to look rubbish!

Spidermama Mon 27-Aug-07 22:41:16

Accessorize like there's no tomorrow. How about a fab hat to offset the bump?

littlelapin Mon 27-Aug-07 22:43:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsBadger Tue 28-Aug-07 11:14:29

wear it

black & cream accessories (not just cream, get a black & cream patterend bag or summat)

get the hat with the widest brim you can find to offset the bump - this worked brillaintly for me at events this summer.

bumbleweed Tue 28-Aug-07 13:01:39

thanks all - you have reassured me - just need to find accessories now by dashing out in my lunch hour!

WaynettaSlob Tue 28-Aug-07 13:10:43

I often wear black to weddings and am not alone. It can look very elegant.
Go for it I say!

hanaflower Tue 28-Aug-07 15:08:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now