Talk

Advanced search

Got the new make-up brushes, now need the make-up...last nights make-up was 'shiny and aging' Any recommendations appreciated

(32 Posts)
LeithWalk Wed 01-Jan-20 15:37:44

DIL was so glam - but quite matt eye-makeup which looked so much nicer than mine!
I think I need to invest and start again, my 8 year old 'Body Shop' neutral/brown eye palette just isn't doing it anymore! ( did it ever??)

TDL2016 Wed 01-Jan-20 16:33:00

Beauty Pie (amazing quality and VERY cheap) Charlotte Tilbury. Laura Mercier.

TricksyLiesmith Wed 01-Jan-20 18:14:30

Following . Just been tagged in pics on FB and I look a shiny mess despite spending ages on foundation- sigh 😔

Ninkanink Wed 01-Jan-20 18:18:29

Bobbi Brown is great for mature skin.

Earlgreybee Wed 01-Jan-20 18:22:42

Tarte has some amazing offers on and now ships striaght from the us. Got a mascara and eyeshadow palette from them and the colours are so much more ‘modern’ than a lot of my stuff... slightly more orangey toned shadows than my boring beige normal shades and I felt it really helped modern me up a bit. I’m mid 40s

Earlgreybee Wed 01-Jan-20 18:24:13

Kiko and maybelline do good powder foundations (kiko) and pressed powder (fit me maybelline) which help with the shine.

There are some great YouTube videos about more mature makeup that have really revitalised my look.

MrsDoylesTeaBags Wed 01-Jan-20 18:25:17

Oh Tricksy thats a bummer isn't it.

I have the worlds shiniest face and its got worst as I've got older. At the moment I'm using Garnier Oil Free BB Cream as a primer , the one with the blue stripe, and that seems to help a lot, and Collection Primed and Ready Transucent setting powder is one of the best I've ever used and oly a couple of quid grin

For a night out I have to use a setting spray like UD All Nighter or else my makeup has slid off my face after a couple of hours.

Ms82 Wed 01-Jan-20 18:28:10

Following. Current regime is nothing. Skin is dull and dry, been reglected for a long time so I need something that won't clog it up or make it worse but I hate looking shiny and I hate looking 'ill' by wearing nothing. Any recommendations? I don't kind paying a bit extra. I haven't really found a brand I like since virgin make up went under all those years ago.

Wauden Wed 01-Jan-20 18:28:53

Had anyone tried Aveda? There's a shop I am tempted to go to and they do make up lessons.

WifOfBif Wed 01-Jan-20 18:30:06

Tarte is brilliant, they stock it on QVC

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Wed 01-Jan-20 18:31:51

Go to Urban Decay and look at their eyeshadow palettes - see which Naked one has the most matt colours and buy that one. They're excellent and will definitely be better than your old Body Shop one (although could potentially last as long!).

LeithWalk Wed 01-Jan-20 19:06:39

Remus - yes asked DIL - you are spot on, her eyeshadow is just that - the matt naked palette. Might have to invest!
( Did look at ebay - but assume the cheapest ones are fake - so won't risk it)
Now to 'google' tutorials....

Tho I do have a MUA friend who does make up lessons...might treat myself.
Will have to look at the other brands. DIL said 'Revolution'?

Ninkanink Wed 01-Jan-20 19:08:02

Don’t buy off ebay.

If you get a good palette that suits your colouring it’s well worth the money.

Ms82 Wed 01-Jan-20 19:09:49

What brushes did you go for? What brushes do people recommend

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Wed 01-Jan-20 19:28:22

John Lewis often have money off Urban Decay so might be worth waiting. Personally I don't think the Revolution ones are anywhere near as good, but could be okay to start with.

Urban Decay do a mini palette for about £20 or so.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Wed 01-Jan-20 19:29:42

This one £26
It's really good.

Ninkanink Wed 01-Jan-20 19:32:10

Debenhams also regularly do %off UD.

Icedlatte Wed 01-Jan-20 19:33:03

If you're looking shiny and pale in photos, does your moisturiser or foundation have SPF? It reflects under a flash making anyone look washed out.
Definitely good to use it every day, but use products without SPF for a night out or an event where you expect photos to be taken.

TricksyLiesmith Wed 01-Jan-20 20:31:32

That's interesting @Icedlatte re flashback . I was wearing double wear which after a quick google appears to be notorious for it .

HostessTrolley Wed 01-Jan-20 23:27:08

I’m 47, I have the naked basics (all Matt) palette but love tarte, it blends and stays out like nothing else I’ve tried. Maneater 2 is a lovely little palette, mostly Matt with a couple is slightly sparkly accent colours but they have a wide range of palettes at great prices

tartecosmetics.com/EU/en_GB/makeup/eyes/eyeshadow-palettes/

BlueSkies2020 Wed 01-Jan-20 23:41:46

I really like the Chantecaille eyeshadows. I use the slightly metallic rose gold with a soft eyeliner. Base is the Nars primer. It does not shift or crease and is super easy to wash across lids and blend. It’s so much kinder and forgiving in terms of application and longevity than the Urban Decay naked pallettes I thought were the bees knees

Glitterb Thu 02-Jan-20 10:14:27

MAC do some great eyeshadow pallets, these are my favourite ones!

Deathraystare Thu 02-Jan-20 14:28:35

MUA and Revolution do some great ones. Cheap too!

MardyGrass Thu 02-Jan-20 14:55:34

I was going to suggest the Bobbie Brown brick - nice for eyes but over cheeks with biggest brush you can find gives a lovely glow on mature skin.

Not sure how old you are Leithwalk but these young girls wear tons of make up contouring and layers of stuff on their eyes false lashes etc.

Recently went to an event with younger colleagues and their make up was amazing quite theatrical looking in the dimly lit eatery but later in the more normal domestic lighting of a friends house they looked strange.

They do their make up to look great on Instagram and selfies etc - which they do but its not necessarily an everyday look.

Use primer and best foundation you can afford .
Eye liner on upper lid can make a big difference.
Lip gloss easier than a full on heavy lip.
I prefer matt eye colours- these are harder to find.
Try getting brows and lashes dyed- I find this helps my whole face and I don't need as much make up.
I am 52 though.

Try Bobbie Brown for a make up lesson (if you are in Edinburgh as your user name suggests the team in George Street are lovely and not at all intimidating).

Bluntness100 Thu 02-Jan-20 15:03:01

I honestly don't think you should copy your daughter in law, her age range will likely be a generation different and her skin and features different to yours.

I am 51, I use Chanel foundation, with Charlotte tilbury magic powder over the top, leaves me dewy not shiney. I also like Charlotte tilbury concealer and matt eye shadow, MAC blusher.

You need to experiment with what works for you at this age, not be copying others younger. You're never going to look like her and nor should you wish to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »