Talk

Advanced search

Size advice; coat for my DD

(8 Posts)
HepburnKNotA Tue 03-Dec-19 11:10:46

I'm buying a winter coat for my 6yo.

The sizes only come in 6-7 or 8-9, no 7-8 (which would be the perfect size probably!)

The age 6-7 says for a child of 1m22; the age 8-9 for a child of 1m34.

My DD is a smidge over 1m20 right now.

She's also on the slight side and a bit skinny compared to some of her peers so I don't want any coat I buy to drown her width-wise (or length-wise, but i think it's easier to get away with a coat that looks a bit too long as opposed to one that looks too gaping)

BUT it's an expensive winter coat and I want it to last ideally two winters.

BUT I don't want her to spend at least one of those 2 winters looking like an urchin in a massive coat!

Can't try it on as it's online only.

Returning things is of course perfectly possible but a massive FAFF and will take a while and we do really need the coat kind of now (yes, I'm rubbish for leaving it this late...)

With a winter coat I do think you have to leave room for slightly bulky layers underneath so I don't want it to be at all 'cosy' fit-wise to begin with otherwise it'll be too tight with a jumper etc underneath.

Should I go for the bigger one and just hope she doesn't look ridiculous in it (she could never look ridiculous, she's cute as a button, but you know what I mean...)?

Would appreciate advice!!

DontFundHate Tue 03-Dec-19 12:42:49

Get the big one, can always save it for next year if it's huge

confusedmaybe Tue 03-Dec-19 12:47:53

My kids always spend at least one winter in a coat far too big. They also,have had growth spurts at age 7. Get the bigger size

confusedmaybe Tue 03-Dec-19 12:48:31

If anything long sleeves keep hands warm when they won't wear gloves

Dandelion1993 Tue 03-Dec-19 12:52:49

I always by the bigger one so dd can wear layers and not feel squished in the coat.

Mumdiva99 Tue 03-Dec-19 13:00:03

if it's expensive get the bigger one. My kids spent years in coats too big for them - until one put his foot down (well every other year actually....). Which is fine - as they now get coats which are half the price. (I practically drool at the children in their sensible coats from the outdoor shop which I know are really really waterproof, padded and with extra zips etc - while my daughter wears her fashion jacket which will not protect her in a blizzard!! LOL)

BeatriceTheBeast Tue 03-Dec-19 13:53:01

I would also go with the bigger size and if it doesn't fit this year, it will next year.

HepburnKNotA Tue 03-Dec-19 14:00:02

Thanks everyone. It is an expensive coat (well, by my standards!!) and I would be gutted for her only to get 4 months wear out of it. I also know she will hate to feel
‘Bunched up’ grin if layers feel tight underneath it. I will go with the bigger one x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »