Talk

Advanced search

How much do you spend on hair and beauty?

(63 Posts)
DontFundHate Tue 03-Dec-19 11:02:22

I thought I was pretty low maintenance, wear minimal make up, but a sucker for skincare and some haircare. I've just added up my spend online this year and it comes to £750... I'm horrified! What's your spend?

MoltoAgitato Tue 03-Dec-19 12:55:32

I pay £120 every 9 weeks for a cut and colour, so it’s the best part of £700 on hair alone. Makeup I use sparingly so probably £100. Skincare - probably a similar amount to makeup. I use serum, moisturiser, sunblock, 2 cleansers and night cream, but not super high end expensive brands.

ParkheadParadise Tue 03-Dec-19 13:02:08

Weekly trip to the hairdressers, colour every 6weeks.
Nails done every 3weeks
Eyebrows and eyelashes tinted every month.
I'm always adding to my make-up bag.
I'm NOT going to think about how much I spend🤔

BeatriceTheBeast Tue 03-Dec-19 13:57:38

Yikes, I'm not sure I want to know!

I would have guessed about £20-£30 a month, so around £300 a year. But maybe I'm massively underestimating. I might have to start keeping track a bit more.

BeatriceTheBeast Tue 03-Dec-19 14:00:42

Forgot hairdresser!

I have recently changed salon. Previously I went every 6 weeks and spent £50ish. I've changed and am growing out my hair so now it's every 8 weeks and £35ish. So that's a lot less. Every year that would be £230ish instead of £450ish.

BeatriceTheBeast Tue 03-Dec-19 14:02:35

But yy, if I add my more pricey hairdresser bill to the £300 on toiletries per year, it is £750 overall. So I don't think you spend all that much op.

Sammi38 Tue 03-Dec-19 14:04:05

About £200 a month on my hair and beauty treatments/ products.

Sprinklemetinsel Tue 03-Dec-19 14:07:09

Pennies.

I cut my own hair, use Avon cosmetics.

Most of the stuff we spend on is no better than the value replacements/makes no difference to our appearance.

Happyspud Tue 03-Dec-19 14:10:45

Hair: £120/yr (1.5 cut and colours)
Cosmetics: £0 (maybe once every 5 yrs I replace the basic stuff I keep)
Shampoo etc: £30/yr at a guess

I do usually have a spa break 1-2 times a year though at about £150 including dinner.

onlyoneoftheregimentinstep Tue 03-Dec-19 14:18:16

A mobile hairdresser comes to the house every six weeks and cuts my hair and my DH's for £45. That's it!

BeatriceTheBeast Tue 03-Dec-19 14:55:17

I definitely feel I need to buy my toiletries. I could live without hair products and make up, but skincare is something i really won't compromise on as my skin is problematic (rosacea) and it shows almost immediately if I don't take care of it.

Sittinonthefloor Tue 03-Dec-19 14:58:06

Very little! Cut maybe twice a year £25, cheap shampoo & conditioner replaced as needed £20 a year? Maybe £30?

DontFundHate Tue 03-Dec-19 15:47:29

Interesting thanks all. I hadn't even included hairdresser, just hair products. Hairdresser for me is about another £360 a year... So that's around £1000 total, and I don't even look polished or like I particularly look after myself at all!!

DontFundHate Tue 03-Dec-19 15:48:05

£1100 total... fblush

7Worfs Tue 03-Dec-19 16:02:23

Probably something like:
Kiehl’s skincare - 500-600
Kerastase hair products - 200-ish
Haircuts and colour - 300

Make-up is minimal, Lancôme mascara twice a year, maybe an eye pencil as well.

Spending lots on Bio Oil though!

DontFundHate Tue 03-Dec-19 16:10:32

Hm that's probably part of why I spend so much, my shampoo is very very expensive but I have a very specific hair type and it works well so I don't want to change, I could perhaps mix it up with a cheaper one every so often though.

Skincare I buy the big names and im very happy with them, but I have lots I can use up.

Haircuts bit of a non negotiable for me really.

Probably with using things up I could drastically reduce my spend online next year, I'm certainly going to give it a go (and have done successfully before)

DontFundHate Tue 03-Dec-19 16:12:17

It's reassuring to hear from those spending a similar amount! But imagine what I could do with that money instead! A spa day every other month? That would have a much bigger impact on me but I would have thought it was too expensive, I can't believe how much all my spends have added up to!

DustyMaiden Tue 03-Dec-19 16:17:36

Hair cut and colour £1200 it’s a lot of money for what it is. The rest nothing.

LilaGrace Tue 03-Dec-19 16:21:17

Well, I just spent £240 on 2 serums so I'm not even going to attempt to add up the rest....😱

chesterfuckingdraws Tue 03-Dec-19 16:25:16

A small fortune, roughly £1400 ish.
Make up, skincare and Botox are my non negotiables. Hair not so much,

I wouldn't even say I look particularly polished or great after spending all that, which is a bit depressing.

BeatriceTheBeast Tue 03-Dec-19 16:39:14

How do people spend nothing on skincare or hair products? As in nothing at all? No shampoo or moisturiser? How is that possible?

Maybe I'm really high maintenance and never knew it!

managedmis Tue 03-Dec-19 16:47:36

Honestly not that much on hair, I have it cut around once a year! Beauty is more costly but I don't use expensive make up. I buy a LOT of shampoo, dry shampoo and hair spray so that must be around £150 per year? Sometimes get Redken and Aveda but mostly it's middle market.

My clothing budget is a completely different story though... I reckon its at least least £1500 per year!

managedmis Tue 03-Dec-19 16:48:36

How do people spend nothing on skincare or hair products?

^^

Can't speak for hair but I use clinique soap, micellar water and nivea blue tub. Probably £50 per year, tops.

BeatriceTheBeast Tue 03-Dec-19 16:51:57

Yes, I get spending very little, and you do @managedmis, but spending absolutely nothing? Do people^^ mean zero spend at all? Do you get it as bday presents? Even as an impoverished student I bought moisturiser (Nivea Soft).

DustyMaiden Tue 03-Dec-19 16:52:51

When I say nothing I mean just shampoo and body wash. I don’t use cosmetics or skincare.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »