Talk

Advanced search

Wellies and boots for big cankles?

(11 Posts)
AiryFairyMum Mon 02-Dec-19 22:30:39

My lower legs and feet and my worst feature. I'd love to hide them away under lovely knee high boots but the zips wont do up, even on some of the wide fitting ones 😳 I have the same problem with wellies too. I think my lower legs are around 18 inches at the widest. Is there any hope for the fat legged?

MissingMySleep Mon 02-Dec-19 22:31:50

I get shorter wellies from Asda, because of the hobbit legged cankle situation

AiryFairyMum Mon 02-Dec-19 22:35:16

Thanks, yes, I've done the same but I'd love to hide them in big knee high wellies!

Jocasta2018 Mon 02-Dec-19 23:22:10

Watching with interest. My feet are a size 2.5 therefore I should have skinny legs. I don't.....
I wear trousers or ankle length skirts with ankle boots.

AiryFairyMum Tue 03-Dec-19 08:12:59

It's frustrating isn't it? It seems such an obvious problem.

Tryingtogetitright Tue 03-Dec-19 09:29:06

Duo (I think) make made to measure boots. Not sure if they do wellies. Think they're pricey but might be worth a google. Also Evans?

Zinnia Tue 03-Dec-19 13:01:32

I have this problem too (unfortunately). My wellies are from Next, so were cheap as chips; you can get quite a few styles with a width-adjusting buckle on the back which is usually quite forgiving.

For non-wellies, I second Duo - it's a while since I bought from them (in the interim they had a weird re-brand but seem to be back on track now) but they sell boots by calf fitting which is a godsend. They are, as @Tryingtogetitright says, expensive but the quality is great.

Evans do indeed also do wider fitting knee boots but again I've not bought from them for a long time. I gave up on their shoes as the quality wasn't the best but it's high street prices.

Have a look at Next as well, they say of their wide fit selection: "Wide fit shoes and short ankle boots provide extra width across the foot. Wide fit long boots provide extra width across the foot and through the leg at the calf". Not much help if you don't have wide feet of course but worth checking out if you do. I buy lots of shoes at Next (more or less the only high street retailer to stock a size 9 in most styles) and the quality is decent on the whole.

Writersblock2 Tue 03-Dec-19 13:13:49

Wellibobs from Joules!

MaudesMum Tue 03-Dec-19 14:12:16

I'd second Duo for boots - not cheap, but so much choice, and the ones I've had have really lasted. Also quite good sales if you get on their mailing list... With wellies, I've got a fairly wide legged basic pair from a boat stores sort of shop, and I'd assume the same would be true with agricultural stores - presumably because people who work on farms or on boats have to be able to tuck waterproof trousers or overalls in. They're not very pretty, but have kept going for years!

wheresmymojo Tue 03-Dec-19 15:08:04

Search 'wide calf boots' and 'wide calf wellies' on eBay.

Quite a lot of styles that are sold brand new on there. I was cynical of quality as they're so cheap but bought some last year for about £20 and they've been perfect!

Grumpbum123 Tue 03-Dec-19 15:09:55

Jileon for wellies

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »