Talk

Advanced search

My hair is so horribly puffy - which treatment??

(22 Posts)
MimosasAllRound Mon 02-Dec-19 16:23:48

My hair has always been puffy with lots of flyaways that looks lovely after it's been heavily straightened. What kind of treatment could I get so that it automatically has its straightened form after washing and drying. Would a chemical straightening be best? Or a brazilian blow dry? Something I only have to do once every 6 months or so.

It's naturally "straight", not curly, but it's enormous before I straighten it, and when I want to curl it I have to straighten it first, it takes way too long. If it's relevant, it's in good condition as I work from home and don't have to style it most days grin

MimosasAllRound Tue 03-Dec-19 12:36:53

Bump for the afternoon crowd!

Cordial11 Tue 03-Dec-19 12:38:17

Hey - I havent had a treatment but the front of my hair started growing in so puffy. i blow dry upside down (rough dry) then go over with a round brush and blow dry. Makes it so sleek.

CodenameVillanelle Tue 03-Dec-19 12:40:09

Do you blow dry it properly? It really helps tame mine

Qcng Tue 03-Dec-19 12:44:03

I think I know what you mean, I'm trying to think if you have hair similar to mine, I'm part Italian so have absolutely loads of hair, but each individual strand is very fine, so I get a sort of puffball look and lots of flyaways after blow-drying.

My mum has the same hair and went for a chemical straightening, but it dried her hair out badly, I think it looked alright for maybe a week but then it made her hair 10x worse! This is despite intensive conditioners. I'd avoid it completely.

BUT you might not have Mediterranean hair. So it could work for you.

Qcng Tue 03-Dec-19 12:45:56

YY to getting a good round hair drying brush.
Then you should be able to skip the straightening stage and go straight for curling.

I presume you use Frizz-ease? Or nourishing oils?

claretsforever Tue 03-Dec-19 12:48:05

I have the amazon keratin treatment every 6 months and honestly, my life is so much easier! I can just wash it and leave it with no frizz. It doesn't make it perfectly straight which I like but just isn't wild (normally if I leave it, it goes a bit wild like a lion's mane!)

Nixee2231 Tue 03-Dec-19 12:58:20

I use the Apoghee two step keratin treatment every 6 weeks. In between I use Apoghee two-minute and other various keratin masks and conditioners. My hair is now smooth and sleek after air drying it, even more so If I gently blow dry it. If you are washing your hair every day or every two days though, you really need to stop or no matter what products you use it isn't going to make a difference.

graziemille567 Tue 03-Dec-19 12:58:28

I have a Brazilian blow dry every 6 months or so and I can honestly say it's miraculous! Before that, even if I blow dried my hair with a brush it would still be frizzy and I'd have to straighten it into submission. This caused my hair to be damaged and look even more frizzy. But since I've had the Brazilian blow dry, all I have to do is roughly dry it after washing and it looks smooth, shiny and healthy. Even on days when I let it dry naturally it ends up wavy rather than frizzy which normally still looks acceptable for going out in public. I maybe use my straighteners approx once a month now (usually the morning after going to bed with wet hair) and my hair is in much better condition. I honestly can't see myself giving them up - for a couple of hours at the hairdressers every 6 months, I only need 10 minutes now to style my hair after washing. Can't recommend it enough.

wheresmymojo Tue 03-Dec-19 14:47:53

I would second a Brazilian blow dry...

MimosasAllRound Thu 05-Dec-19 09:32:11

Some great recommendations here, thank you!

To answer some questions, I do blow dry it but it doesn't do anything for the flyaways and the general fuzz. I also wash it every day or every other day, because it gets horribly greasy. I've tried to get out of the cycle a few times, but it's never lasted more than a few weeks because it's just so so greasy. I know it's not great, but there's not much I can do about it by this point.

I will look into the brazilian blow dry - is that the same as a keratin treatment? I had a brief google before I posted this and I realised I was totally out of my depth.

formerbabe Thu 05-Dec-19 15:15:51

Your hair sounds similar to mine...I blow dry and straighten and then use a lot of serum.

I had it chemically straightened but it didn't really work for me...I still had to use my straighteners everyday!

Silverstreaks Thu 05-Dec-19 17:08:02

My hair can go incredibly poufy. I used to use a small amount of argan oil on damp hair before blow drying. I've recently started using 100% Plant-Derived Hemi-Squalene from The Ordinary. Its about three quid. I dry me hair and then run a couple of drops through it. It's sleek, shiny, looks swishy and doesn't blow up in the moist air. Brilliant.

OceanVillage Thu 05-Dec-19 20:02:07

I second a Brazilian blowdry.

MimosasAllRound Fri 06-Dec-19 14:29:32

I also have a cow's lick at the front of my hair that means it sticks up before it goes down again, and I straighten this every time I go anywhere. Would that be helped by a brazilian blow dry? Or anything else?

Thanks so much for the help, I'm so lost in the world of haircare.

formerbabe Fri 06-Dec-19 14:40:25

I also have a cow's lick at the front of my hair

Me too!

MimosasAllRound Sun 08-Dec-19 19:06:17

Me too!

Well hello there, apparent hair twin! grin

itshappened Sun 08-Dec-19 19:15:15

I have thick, wavy hair which I have spent most of my adult life straightening! I now have a Brazilian treatment every 3 months. It makes a huge difference in terms of calming it down, but I do still have to straighten it every day. It just takes ten mins max instead of 20! Keratin treatments are good for the hair but in my experience did nothing to actually straighten it and I was disappointed with the results.

poorstudent1010 Sun 08-Dec-19 19:35:49

I would say go for a keratin smoothing treatment

Feel free to correct me, but I think a Brazilian blow dry is the next step UP from a keratin treatment as the Brazilian blow dry actually straightens your hair texture out whilst the keratin doesn’t make that much of a difference, so a curly haired girl wouldn’t have completely sleek/straight hair after.

As your hair is straight I would just go for a keratin.

RowenaMud Sun 08-Dec-19 20:11:28

For those who use the Keratin treatment, it says for best results, a hooded dryer is needed. What do you all use? I’d like to do this at home myself as the salon charges four times the price.

HarrietTheFly Sun 08-Dec-19 20:14:02

Have you tried "washing" your hair when it's a little bit greasy but using only conditioner? It seems to work on mine - I still shampoo it but much less frequently. Like a pp I have a lot of hair but it's very fine.

AnotherUserName19 Sun 08-Dec-19 21:20:44

Hi
Which Brazilian treatment did you get done? I've had variable results so always interested to hear what's worked for others. Also, was it formaldehyde free?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »