Talk

Advanced search

'Skinny jeans are dying out'???

(69 Posts)
Whatdoyouexpect Mon 02-Dec-19 12:21:47

Is this true?

If so, I'm just wondering what I should wear instead - I don't mind dresses and skirts but it's freezing!

What do I wear instead?

VolcanionSteamArtillery Mon 02-Dec-19 12:24:43

Thermal fluffy leggings under a skirt are much warmer than jeans.

I didn't abandon my bootlegs when they were in fashion room 101. I just never looked good in skinnies. I should imagine a far number of people will feel the same about skinnies...

Whatdoyouexpect Mon 02-Dec-19 12:27:44

Wow! I'm so behind the times.confused

ZaraW Mon 02-Dec-19 12:30:23

Skinnies haven't been in fashion for at least two to three years. However, they are extremely practical in cold wet weather and people are still wearing them.

Whatdoyouexpect Mon 02-Dec-19 12:31:36

Which jeans ARE in fashion? If any?

Enoughisenoughhhhh Mon 02-Dec-19 12:34:30

Yeh I pondered this a while back. Then I realised no amount of fashion is going to keep my feet warm when its below zero and still dark when I leave the house for my hours bus commute or when I'm standing about in the park with the dc. Jeans that require bare strips of ankle in winter are stupid. They may be fashion but most of all, they are stupid.

LolaSmiles Mon 02-Dec-19 12:34:33

Skinnies haven't been in fashion for at least two to three years
shock
I know I'm not fashionable but now I know I'm really out of the style loop.

I don't like jeans in cold wet weather. Fleese lined leggings with jumper dresses are amazing as an alternative.

Whatdoyouexpect Mon 02-Dec-19 12:37:03

I feel I've moved from shock and confusion to happy acceptance in a very short space of time. I am really liking the idea of leggings with jumper dresses. Sounds wonderful!

fedup21 Mon 02-Dec-19 12:39:39

I’ve been reading posts asking if skinny jeans are on their way out for 10 years. They are still very much in fashion-look at women in the high street, on the school run, in the pub-that is still what the majority are wearing. My teen daughters and their friends are all wearing skinny jeans as well.

Whatdoyouexpect Mon 02-Dec-19 12:45:13

I’ve been reading posts asking if skinny jeans are on their way out for 10 years. They are still very much in fashion-look at women in the high street, on the school run, in the pub-that is still what the majority are wearing. My teen daughters and their friends are all wearing skinny jeans as well.

Mmm, so what does 'out of fashion' actually mean? This being the case, lots of people, including teens, still wearing them, how can they be out of fashion? Or is it just in the magazines and on the catwalk, etc, that they're not appearing any more?

Either way, now looking for nice jumper dresses!

MrsPerfect12 Mon 02-Dec-19 12:45:57

If they weren't in fashion they'd be hard to get. My 15 year old wears them all the time as do her friends. Myself and my friends do too.

InsertFunnyUsername Mon 02-Dec-19 12:59:03

Me and my friends ( age between 20 and 27) still wear them. My sister who is 14 and all her friends still wear them too. I know they are seen as a no no for a night out etc but day to day they still are very much in, in my area anyway.

BeatriceTheBeast Mon 02-Dec-19 13:17:29

They are out of fashion apparently, but I do still wear them sometimes, especially in winter. They're the only jeans I can tuck into knee boots. I do love girlfriend jeans, but they are useless on the coldest days, as I can't manage to make them look right with boots, unless I have a bit of ankle on show iyswim. I can't do that on very cold days. I've seen other people wear them with fluffy socks and boots, but it somehow looks wrong on me.

I still see a lot of women in skinnies anyway, so I don't think they're the worst thing in the world. I don't like them tucked into ankle boots, which I think looks a bit dated now on me. But I do like them with knee boots or with ankle boots and leg warmers, (yes, really grin). And they're essential with wellies for me. Leggings are crap for keeping warm and the only fleece leggings I ever owned fall down all the time, as I have no bum or hips to speak of.

MrsFionaCharming Mon 02-Dec-19 13:28:54

I happened to spend an evening in an SU bar last week. It seems the go-to outfit for a student on a night out is high waisted skinny jeans, big trainers, and either a crop top, or lingerie.

So skinny jeans can’t be that far out if all the students are wearing them.

PerkingFaintly Mon 02-Dec-19 13:32:48

I am stockpiling high-rise skinnies as we speak...

(Got caught out by the skinny drought last time round.)

MikeUniformMike Mon 02-Dec-19 15:12:41

The teenagers locally wear skinny jeans or jeggings. It's not a trendy area. The students at the local uni wear them and quite a few are wearing ripped ones. The last time I went to the touristy town nearby, the cool looking young women were wearing baggy rolled up jeans.

lindyloo57 Mon 02-Dec-19 16:36:07

Zara w, if skinnies are not in fashion, how come shops like zara Topshop still sell them.

PatchworkElmer Mon 02-Dec-19 16:38:54

If they are, they are. They suit me so I will continue to wear them!

SquirmOfEels Mon 02-Dec-19 16:43:23

Teen DD (London, so on-trend) bought two pairs of jeans this weekend. Both skinnies.

But she was wearing swishier ones in the summer (lighter fabrics). Wide trousers in stiffer fabrics just aren't catching on. Nor is ankle gap in winter.

AuntieStella Mon 02-Dec-19 16:44:38

PerkingFaintly

You are my twin soul, as I also havea stockpile !

Hmmmwhatsthat Mon 02-Dec-19 17:08:06

Surely the concept of 'in fashion" is out of step with people's concerns re the environment. Thats my excuse anyway for wearing what suits me & is already in my wardrobe! I'm helping to save the planet. I'm not even joking there, we don't "need" the latest trend, and I say that as someone who has slavishly followed fashion trends for years. But now I find that I feel guilty if I buy an item that I already have several of, just because some marketing type tells me that I need the latest shape/colour/style.

BeatriceTheBeast Mon 02-Dec-19 17:17:50

While I definitely agree that chucking away perfectly good clothes and buying new for the sake of looking current is a bad idea for the planet and your wallet, if you're buying clothes anyway, why wouldn't you buy what's fashionable if you like it? I love looking in my wardrobe and managing to make my outfit look current without having to buy new. Thrifting (previously known as buying secondhand) is what a lot of people now do too.

nickEcave Mon 02-Dec-19 17:35:40

For several years the most fashionable way to wear Jean's or other trousers is with your ankles showing. However it does look pretty silly on freezing wet days in winter. I'm definitely seeing more people this winter baring their ankles so perhaps the look is reaching peak fashion and next winter fashionable people will be in cosy tights!

ZaraW Mon 02-Dec-19 17:51:13

Lindy because they are still popular and practical especially in winter. I still wear mine but they aren't the most fashionable look.

myidentitymycrisis Mon 02-Dec-19 18:23:40

I’m in my fifties and stopped wearing skinny jeans about 4 years ago. I have slim and straight legs, and mum jeans, but favour my big baggies at the moment.

I’m also moving over to flares, I’m wearing black velvet flared hipsters left over from the nineties today.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »